00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Zombiehit just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Can we make music with just loops?

1,437 Views | 14 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Can we make songs with pre-made loops instead of making it from scratch?Like using novation launchpad or musicmakerjam...Does ng allow that?

Ta-da!!!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Can we make music with just loops? 2015-02-11 22:42:47

as long as its not copyrighted it should be ok... but programs that only have loops is not really allowed

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Can we make music with just loops? 2015-02-11 23:00:51

Ohh...'Cus i've seen a guy using musicmakerjam to make some songs...Idk :/

Ta-da!!!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Can we make music with just loops? 2015-02-12 00:36:55

At 2/11/15 11:00 PM, IPSBLT wrote: Ohh...'Cus i've seen a guy using musicmakerjam to make some songs...Idk :/

That would go against our rules, and therefore you could post it on the Cleanup Thread to unleash assassins onto those who defile these ground and purge the holy lands of the impure through the banhammer of sanctity.

*ahem* or you know, just alert them of anything not following the rules...

Response to Can we make music with just loops? 2015-02-12 01:47:40

@camoshark: Wrong link buddy. :P
Just be glad it isn't something weird.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Can we make music with just loops? 2015-02-12 02:40:35

At 2/12/15 01:47 AM, MetalRenard wrote: camoshark: Wrong link buddy. :P
Just be glad it isn't something weird.

LIES, LIES.

Response to Can we make music with just loops? 2015-02-12 02:44:45

Using loops to make up the entirety of a song does NOT count as your own music, so it's definitely against the rules.

Response to Can we make music with just loops? 2015-02-12 20:20:01

At 2/11/15 10:24 PM, IPSBLT wrote: Can we make songs with pre-made loops instead of making it from scratch?Like using novation launchpad or musicmakerjam...Does ng allow that?

So, if I take a bass loop made by someone else, take a drum loop made by someone else, take a synth loop made by someone else and some voice or guitar loop made by someone else and slam them together, can I call it "MY music"?

Response to Can we make music with just loops? 2015-02-12 21:31:01

Well,based on those guys words,then i think,"NO"

Ta-da!!!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Can we make music with just loops? 2015-02-13 04:55:04

you shouldn't make songs made of premade loops that came with software because it's extremely uncool among the audio guys

BBS Signature

Response to Can we make music with just loops? 2015-02-13 05:04:52

Your call.

As long as it's legal to use those samples, no one else has legitimate reason to have beef with it. However, drama doesn't stem from legitimate reasons only, and many will think poorly of you and your music if they hear about how it's done. The inherent limitations of working exclusively with loops might make it complicated to achieve good results too.

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/ryunocore

Need custom music or SFX for your project? http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1361543

Response to Can we make music with just loops? 2015-02-13 11:49:31

At 2/12/15 08:20 PM, sorohanro wrote: So, if I take a bass loop made by someone else, take a drum loop made by someone else, take a synth loop made by someone else and some voice or guitar loop made by someone else and slam them together, can I call it "MY music"?

Isn't that exaclty what a produce does? :P Hey, at least you bring people together. That's a quality too.

But seriously, premade loops are used more often in professional music than people might think.

Ok Go's song "I won't let you down" allegedly contains loops from Propellerhead's "Disco School" and "Soul School" re-fill packs, yet they managed to gain more than 18M views on YouTube.

Rammstein's song "Sonne" contains samples from music library Symphony of Voices by Spectrasonics. These are complete melodies, that very definitive for the song, yet it remains one of their most well known songs.

Various bands use samples from other songs for their own. Sometimes they don't even give credit to the source material, yet somehow manage not to get sued.

I'll admit using loops is not as creative as composing/playing/recording your own stuff, yet I thought I should put things into perspective. Besides, I think if you use something that's being frowned uppon like a pre-made loop, yet manage to do something mindblowing Original with it, more power to you.

Talking about loops that are "made by someone else". When you collaborate with someone else, or play in a band or orchestra, your music is neither made completely by yourself, yet it can be wonderfull to be part of it, and you can still take pride in the hard work you put into it. Maybe the same goes for the loops. Even though they're made by someone else, you can still put your all into it and do whatever you can.

Most musicians on NG (including me) use sample packs. These are pre-recorded notes played by other people on 'real' instruments. We write our own music. Create unique melodies, chords, rhythms, etc, yet technically every single note you hear is played by someone else, namely the person who played it when the sample was originally recorded.

Even if you don't use sample packs, but play everything entirely by yourself (e.g. when you own an actual instrument like a guitar, piano, synthesizer, etc) the sound is largely determined by the people who build your instruments. Yet those are seldomly credited. Even if you don't use an instrument, but sing, you still depend on recording equipment.

I know it's a stretch from shemelessly using pre-made loops, to not crediting the person who build your instrument, but what I'm saying is; you always depend on other people to make music. Rather than forcefully trying to avoid that it might be better to just embrace it, and put your effort in creating actual music. Even if the only way you're able to that that is by using pre-made loops...

BBS Signature

Response to Can we make music with just loops? 2015-02-13 12:47:10

At 2/13/15 11:49 AM, SourJovis wrote: I know it's a stretch from shemelessly using pre-made loops, to not crediting the person who build your instrument, but what I'm saying is; you always depend on other people to make music. Rather than forcefully trying to avoid that it might be better to just embrace it, and put your effort in creating actual music. Even if the only way you're able to that that is by using pre-made loops...

I see your point, but, we're talking about two VERY different concepts here:
1 - taking a "construction pack" and using it "as is" by putting the drum loop as drums, the guitar loop as guitar, bass loop as bass...etc, with just minimal processing (maybe some compression, reverb...etc).
2 - taking a loop, slice it, rearrange it, process it creatively (pitch up the bass loop and using it as guitar, put a resonant filter on the drums and use it as synth...etc), or incorporate that loop into an original composition.

Now, most of the time when you have a collaboration it's a creative process where somebody has already a concept, made something "from scratch" and pass on the concept. The collaborator is also credited.
The OP asked "Can we make music with just loops?", NO ORIGINAL CONTENT INTENDED. That's a quite important trigger of my answer.
I hope this time I was more clear.

Response to Can we make music with just loops? 2015-02-13 15:30:32

At 2/13/15 12:47 PM, sorohanro wrote: I see your point, but, we're talking about two VERY different concepts here:
1 - taking a "construction pack" and using it "as is" by putting the drum loop as drums, the guitar loop as guitar, bass loop as bass...etc, with just minimal processing (maybe some compression, reverb...etc).
2 - taking a loop, slice it, rearrange it, process it creatively (pitch up the bass loop and using it as guitar, put a resonant filter on the drums and use it as synth...etc), or incorporate that loop into an original composition.

Now, most of the time when you have a collaboration it's a creative process where somebody has already a concept, made something "from scratch" and pass on the concept. The collaborator is also credited.
The OP asked "Can we make music with just loops?", NO ORIGINAL CONTENT INTENDED. That's a quite important trigger of my answer.
I hope this time I was more clear.

Nah, you were clear from the start.

Surely point 1, is the most common way people use loops, and most likely what the OP meant.

I just like to be a contrarian ass, and point out things are more complex than the things that actually matter.

Anyway, if people use loops as they are without any creative input of their own, it will backfire and they will know soon enough that's not a short cut to recognition.

Good to warn the OP against that, but since the point was amply made clear I thought it time to address the flipside of the coin.

I didn't mean to contradict you personally. It just so happens my first sentence was a response to what you said. It would've been better to put the rest in a different post, but then it would be a double post.

BBS Signature

Response to Can we make music with just loops? 2015-02-13 20:24:15

Sampling is great if done correctly.