00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Why is 'Haruhi' legendary?

851 Views | 11 Replies

Why is 'Haruhi' legendary? 2015-01-30 04:39:50

I found a Japanese magazine in my house that was wholly devoted to the schoolgirl anime "Haruhi". My brother got this outdated 2006 print as part of a gift basket about a couple of years back. It creeps me out to think that Haruhi would be a show you'd all watch. Tell me all you fans and haters of Haruhi why Haruhi is so popular in such a legendary scale? : This is probably a terrible question to ask.

Emphasis are great!

Response to Why is 'Haruhi' legendary? 2015-01-30 05:03:11

I legitimately entered this thread thinking it was some new pokemon or something. How the hell should I know? I don't keep up with trending Japanese anime. It's honestly a bit baffling there's so many non-Japanese who do.

Would I say it's legendary? No because I have never heard of whatever the hell this anime is. How can it be legendary if no one outside of Japanese and anime enthusiasts even knows about it?

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Why is 'Haruhi' legendary? 2015-01-30 07:50:26

Response to Why is 'Haruhi' legendary? 2015-01-30 10:37:32

At 1/30/15 07:49 AM, Hoodie wrote: I haven't heard about it, I guess it's actually lame.

So because you haven't heard about it, you automatically assumes it's lame? Quite a view point you got there.

Honestly though, the series did got hyped up due to the size of the fandom it has. Truth is the titular character happens to be a hyperactive bitch who wants to be different by becoming a massive attention whore. Then later it's revealed that she's actually a reality warper which basically makes her a goddess and would destroy the universe if things doesn't go her way. This leads to why the members of the club she founded consists of a gay psychic, an alien, a time traveler, and a token normal dude who is also a narrator (and the true protagonist of the series).

To be fair to Haruhi, she wasn't aware of this and the fact that only one member of her club is normal. She does gets better later on but if you watch the show, I'm not sure you might stand the girl after the first few episodes.

The series did lose much of it's fans after the "Endless 8" loop in the second season.

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to Why is 'Haruhi' legendary? 2015-01-30 10:43:55

At 1/30/15 10:42 AM, Voltage wrote:

Well if liking obscure shit has taught the public anything, it's that common knowledge and knowing cool shit is not one in the same. Knowing common knowledge is unfortunately the cool thing right now.

The show isn't obscured if that's what you're getting at.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to Why is 'Haruhi' legendary? 2015-01-30 10:46:26

At 1/30/15 05:03 AM, NeonSpider wrote: I legitimately entered this thread thinking it was some new pokemon or something. How the hell should I know? I don't keep up with trending Japanese anime. It's honestly a bit baffling there's so many non-Japanese who do.

Would I say it's legendary? No because I have never heard of whatever the hell this anime is. How can it be legendary if no one outside of Japanese and anime enthusiasts even knows about it?

The series is known outside of Japan, even got an English dub as well. Not hearing about it doesn't means it's obscured, just that you have never been around when the series was at the peak of its hype in the late 2000s.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to Why is 'Haruhi' legendary? 2015-01-30 10:52:09

At 1/30/15 10:45 AM, Voltage wrote:
At 1/30/15 10:43 AM, Idiot-Finder wrote: The show isn't obscured if that's what you're getting at.
Not what I was getting at. If I said, "Big Bang Theory," "Lady Gaga," and "United States," there's a 98-99% chance you've heard about it.

I have never heard of "Haruhi"

Haruhi isn't obscured but I kinda get what you're saying.

When people knows something everybody knows of like "air" while a good portion has no idea what "chocolates" are, they would assume that chocolates are lame and obscured. It's funny how just few years ago, people bought into the underground craze (and some still do) while bashing anything that is mainstream.

Then again it does happen in previous decades as well so it won't be long until the cycle comes into play in that regard.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to Why is 'Haruhi' legendary? 2015-01-30 11:08:45

At 1/30/15 10:50 AM, Voltage wrote:
At 1/30/15 10:46 AM, Idiot-Finder wrote: The series is known outside of Japan, even got an English dub as well. Not hearing about it doesn't means it's obscured, just that you have never been around when the series was at the peak of its hype in the late 2000s.
I once again hate to inform you here dude, but I was getting into anime in the 2000s. What -year- exactly are you talking about? I'm not trying to say it's obscure, but it's also not a household name among geeks considering I don't think I've heard any of my friends mention it once.

2006 when it first came about and it was mention plenty of times in anime forums. You and your friends don't represent the fan base as whole. There are times people can miss out on the hype for better or for worse but the hype kinda spilled into "Lucky Star" as the series happens to be produced by the same studio.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to Why is 'Haruhi' legendary? 2015-01-30 11:10:07

No, idea what you are talking about. Can you provide a link?

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Why is 'Haruhi' legendary? 2015-01-30 11:19:19

Because all her stats are choco-bananas.

Simple as that.

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

BBS Signature

Response to Why is 'Haruhi' legendary? 2015-01-30 11:40:57

At 1/30/15 11:14 AM, Voltage wrote:
At 1/30/15 11:08 AM, Idiot-Finder wrote: 2006 when it first came about and it was mention plenty of times in anime forums. You and your friends don't represent the fan base as whole. There are times people can miss out on the hype for better or for worse but the hype kinda spilled into "Lucky Star" as the series happens to be produced by the same studio.
I dunno, an anime about school girls makes me kind of glad I missed the hype train. :p

To be fair, even among the series' fandom, they're split on the character herself.

Here is one of her finer moments...

She never gets punished for it.

Real animes - cowboy bebop, FLCL, outlaw star, trigun, and of course - crayon shin chan, the best anime ever produced

Of the bunch I liked "Cowboy Bebop" the best despite it's infamous ending where...

As for "Trigun" the series is alright but the manga is epic. Hell, unlike what happened in the anime, Wolfwood has a more badass sendoff rather than going down like a chump which is just insulting.

Speaking of "Crayon Shin Chan", this series along with "Doraemon" is still loved in Asia. You should have been in China as you can find merchandises for these anywhere (as long it's not the rural region). Too bad the series outlived their own creators, then again I don't think they would have ended anyway.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to Why is 'Haruhi' legendary? 2015-01-30 15:28:06

Haruhi Suzumiya was an anime that had a meteoric rise when the anime was released in 2006 in Japan, and soon afterwards when the English Dub came out. In a similar fashion, Lucky Star followed suit and was more or less advertising for Haruhi, considering that they were made by the same studio (Kyoto Animation) and had the same VA for the main characters. (Aya Hirano in Japanese, Wendee Lee in English) It was arguably the biggest anime property of that year, which was loaded with high quality anime such as Black Lagoon, Code Geass, Gintama and Death Note, among others.

For a couple of years, Haruhimania swept across the anime fanbase, and while the character herself was divisive to say the least, the show itself was gaining more and more popularity, until the "Endless Eight" arc of the second season pretty much sent the franchise to a crashing halt. Basically, think of it as Groundhog Day but stretched into 8 episodes with little variation, and that got so much heat that the creators had to literately apologize for it. The Disappearence of Haruhi Suzumiya was basically a last gasp attempt to get the franchise back into where it was before, and while it was a fantastic anime movie, it was basically too little too late by then.

If there were a "Behind the Music" version for anime, Haruhi Suzumiya would fit quite nicely as they had a meteoric rise from a reletively unknown anime studio in Japan, to an anime phenom, only to crash down to Earth due to a disasterous production, and probably end with a "where are the now?" ending.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature