00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

deadenddraws just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Longest you ever used a computer?

491 Views | 10 Replies

Longest you ever used a computer? 2015-01-28 19:10:27

What's the longest you've ever used a particular computer, without giving/putting it away, or replacing the motherboard? It doesn't have to be your newest/primary computer.

For me, it's the desktop that I upgraded from Athlon X2 to Core 2 Duo in the summer of 2008. I still use it to test out new games and have recently upgraded the CPU to Core 2 Quad and added 2 more GB of RAM.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Longest you ever used a computer? 2015-01-28 19:15:45

At 1/28/15 07:12 PM, Monster-64 wrote: I was using an XP machine from the time XP came out, til a month after it expired. So probably more then 10 years.

I'm curious about the original specs and upgrades you've done over the years.

I still have my original XP machine; which is a 1.5 GHz Pentium 4.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Longest you ever used a computer? 2015-01-28 19:20:13

I've been using this computer for 10 minutes. Dammit! Cracked the screen again.

Response to Longest you ever used a computer? 2015-01-28 19:31:21

I guess the Windows XP computer I used in 2003-2007, but that was just a family computer. As for a computer that was only mine, I've been using my current build the longest. I've been using the same build since July of 2013. I've added a lot of shit to it since then. Things like more fans, more hard drives, and putting an aftermarket CPU heatsink.

This is what the guts of the original build looked like on July 17, 2013. The cable management still looks like shit now.

BBS Signature

Response to Longest you ever used a computer? 2015-01-28 19:38:44

I've been on a computer every day for the passed 16 years.

A strong emphasis on underlining.

CLICK ME >>>>

BBS Signature

Response to Longest you ever used a computer? 2015-01-28 19:58:09

1/28/15 07:46 PM, Cordyceps wrote:

If you have a broom, and replace the handle, is it still the same broom? If you then replace the head, can it still be called the same broom?

I upgraded my first computer bit by bit over a decade, eventually replacing every part.

What you are talking about has been debated for centuries.At

A strong emphasis on underlining.

CLICK ME >>>>

BBS Signature

Response to Longest you ever used a computer? 2015-01-28 20:06:57

At 1/28/15 07:46 PM, Cordyceps wrote: If you have a broom, and replace the handle, is it still the same broom? If you then replace the head, can it still be called the same broom?

I upgraded my first computer bit by bit over a decade, eventually replacing every part.

Well, I consider the motherboard to be the part that defines each individual computer. How long have you used the same motherboard?

And now that I think about it, it is the head of the broom that makes the broom: You can sweep with just the head, but it's virtually impossible to sweep with just the handle.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Longest you ever used a computer? 2015-01-28 20:43:11

Have 2 computers, one got in Summer 2009, its still going strong. Other one I got in Fall 2014, its working like charm.

Those who do not learn from the mistakes of their past are doomed to repeat them.

Response to Longest you ever used a computer? 2015-01-28 20:44:34

Around twelve years was the longest for me.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Longest you ever used a computer? 2015-01-28 20:49:19

At 1/28/15 07:10 PM, Painbringer wrote: What's the longest you've ever used a particular computer

Your still using computers?
I've got holograms now
Stop being primitive!

The High Bunny Council Awaits

BBS Signature

Response to Longest you ever used a computer? 2015-01-29 00:53:16

Current primary PC: 2008-present (everything upgraded sans motherboard/CPU)
Boots in <30 seconds, runs nearly all games on max, over 6TB of storage space, etc.

Previous primary PC: 2004-2010 (I think)
It shat itself after a power surge. Rip in pepperoni Linux web server / coding workstation / whatever else I felt like using it for at any given time. Maybe one day I'll troubleshoot the motherboard and fix the damn thing, but probably not.