00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Danielr1203 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Metal

3,123 Views | 62 Replies

Metal 2015-01-26 20:01:03

Metal has some ridiculous sub-genre, like countless, and then the countless combinations of them. The only other genre of music I can think of that has as many subs is probably electronic which is literally boundless anymore, with only slight deviations in the style making it something completely different. And "Indie" being whatever the fuck it wants to be. The point I'm trying to get is I feel like they're some of the best forms of music because they are so fucking versatile. Metal is even considerably classical music with distortion and screaming, which makes it seem even more "metal". Hell they even come together fairly well in my opinion, most of my favorite black metal bands have post-rock and indie elements.

For some reason though, I haven't seen any like "western" metal. The closest being southern metal which is more about kicking ass, being badass, drinking beer, smoking pot, and punching the devil.
I'm talkin' there ain't no like driving galloping metal with mexican guitar and horns and lyricism about outlaws being pursued into the sunset or train robberies. There are some great covers I've found, but not entire albums about it that I have found yet (if any is known, shit bro link that).

TL;DR I fucking love metal.

A strong emphasis on underlining.

CLICK ME >>>>

BBS Signature

Response to Metal 2015-01-26 20:03:51 (edited 2015-01-26 20:04:31)

Metal is for simpletons and meatheads.
Rap is clearly for more intelligent people.

fuck yuo idiote

BBS Signature

Response to Metal 2015-01-26 20:10:03

At 1/26/15 08:03 PM, Sevkat wrote: Metal is for simpletons and meatheads.

Hip hop has a lot of different styles to that I enjoy. I stick more to the more poetic based rappers than the mainstream though. However most of which just kinda do what they do. I get down to some Yeezy though yo, fuckin' Yeezus my nig.

CLICK ME >>>>

BBS Signature

Response to Metal 2015-01-26 20:12:37

At 1/26/15 08:10 PM, Gergaloth wrote: I get down to some Yeezy though yo, fuckin' Yeezus my nig.

shit taste

fuck yuo idiote

BBS Signature

Response to Metal 2015-01-26 20:13:27

i've always hated metal. i never gave it a chance, and i won't, i don't like it.

but it is fun as hell producing it, like i've been working with some guys on stuff and it's just out of this world.

i've never had so much fun, i guess it's because it's something i would never produce, getting out of your box.

Response to Metal 2015-01-26 20:15:44

I dunno man
Some of my favorite rappers
Originally started as heavy metal heads
>inb4 my favorite rappers are shit

Response to Metal 2015-01-26 20:15:53

Metal?

Wood
plastic
velvet
leather
latex
animal fur

why don't these have music genre's?

The High Bunny Council Awaits

BBS Signature

Response to Metal 2015-01-26 20:19:27

At 1/26/15 08:15 PM, Maltos wrote: Metal?

Wood
plastic
velvet
leather
latex
animal fur

Venus Furs and the Velvet Underground exist

CLICK ME >>>>

BBS Signature

Response to Metal 2015-01-26 20:19:56

At 1/26/15 08:15 PM, CiviLies wrote:
I dunno man

Body Count is the perfect culmination of Hip Hop and Metal I think

CLICK ME >>>>

BBS Signature

Response to Metal 2015-01-26 20:22:23

At 1/26/15 08:19 PM, Gergaloth wrote:
At 1/26/15 08:15 PM, Maltos wrote: Metal?

Wood
Venus Furs and the Velvet Underground exist

But why not wood? Do you know how hard wood is? Try punching a tree
it hurts
so we could still be hardcore listening to

Punk Wood

The High Bunny Council Awaits

BBS Signature

Response to Metal 2015-01-26 20:30:29

At 1/26/15 08:19 PM, Gergaloth wrote:
At 1/26/15 08:15 PM, CiviLies wrote:
I dunno man
Body Count is the perfect culmination of Hip Hop and Metal I think

You mean these guys? Ah....I think they're pretty alright. I can diggem.

Response to Metal 2015-01-26 20:37:24

I'm with you on metal being unequivocally the best music genre out there. I'm running through Nightmares Made Flesh from Bloodbath for the nth time now, and I've been listening to an eclectic combination of bands mostly (but not completely) death metal and prog metal today.

I also have to say that "southern metal" isn't a recognized sub-genre. The better way to put it would be "metal with southern themes" in which case there are a lot of good sludge bands that fit the bill. But pretty much anything Phil Anselmo has touched...blargh, with the exception of Eyehategod, who I know he's close to.

I can't think of any Western-themed metal bands, but that doesn't mean that they're not out there. As long as any of them are listenable then the themes won't sway me one way or the other.

Former iron fist mod of the NG Featureless Chat from May 23, 2012 to May 4, 2014.

NYC Meet 2010 | NYC Meet 2011 | NYC Meet 2013

BBS Signature

Response to Metal 2015-01-26 20:40:44

At 1/26/15 08:37 PM, GoryBlizzard wrote: I'm with you on metal being unequivocally the best music genre out there. I'm running through Nightmares Made Flesh from Bloodbath for the nth time now, and I've been listening to an eclectic combination of bands mostly (but not completely) death metal and prog metal today.

I also have to say that "southern metal" isn't a recognized sub-genre. The better way to put it would be "metal with southern themes" in which case there are a lot of good sludge bands that fit the bill. But pretty much anything Phil Anselmo has touched...blargh, with the exception of Eyehategod, who I know he's close to.

I can't think of any Western-themed metal bands, but that doesn't mean that they're not out there. As long as any of them are listenable then the themes won't sway me one way or the other.

This is the closest thing I've found to what I'm talking about for "Western Metal".
Dude sludge is my shit, Mastodon really pulled me out of the whole classic thrash scene and lead me to some real doom metal and stoner which is what dominates my playlists anymore.

CLICK ME >>>>

BBS Signature

Response to Metal 2015-01-26 20:43:42

At 1/26/15 08:40 PM, Gergaloth wrote: This is the closest thing I've found to what I'm talking about for "Western Metal".
Dude sludge is my shit, Mastodon really pulled me out of the whole classic thrash scene and lead me to some real doom metal and stoner which is what dominates my playlists anymore.

Oh, Ensiferum. Everyone knows them and I get many of their songs stuck in my head a lot, but you made it sound like you were looking for US cowboys masquerading as metal musicians.

Former iron fist mod of the NG Featureless Chat from May 23, 2012 to May 4, 2014.

NYC Meet 2010 | NYC Meet 2011 | NYC Meet 2013

BBS Signature

Response to Metal 2015-01-26 20:46:47

At 1/26/15 08:43 PM, GoryBlizzard wrote:
At 1/26/15 08:40 PM, Gergaloth wrote: This is the closest thing I've found to what I'm talking about for "Western Metal".
Oh, Ensiferum. Everyone knows them and I get many of their songs stuck in my head a lot, but you made it sound like you were looking for US cowboys masquerading as metal musicians.

More the reverse, actually. Metal Musicians being US cowboys. Spaghetti western type shit, but those were all done by french and italian directors.
I want to make a concept album based on El Topo by Alejandro Jodorowski

CLICK ME >>>>

BBS Signature

Response to Metal 2015-01-26 20:51:21

At 1/26/15 08:49 PM, Lich wrote: There is truthfully a reason why I moved away from listeing primarially to Metal after a 10-year run (apart from a very few sub-genres I still hold dearly).

I take you to be very industrial, like straight cyberpunk
I can imagine you being very into Ministry or KMFDM

CLICK ME >>>>

BBS Signature

Response to Metal 2015-01-26 20:59:24

At 1/26/15 08:55 PM, Lich wrote:
Asphyxia
Agonize
Amduscia
C-Lekktor
genCAB
H.EXE
Hocico
Nachtmahr
Noisuf-X
Panic Lift
Reaper
Suicide Commando
Tactical Sekt
T3RR0R 3RR0R
Unter Null
Vault-113
Wumpscut
X-Fusion

So many X's and numbers!
You get down to some Delta-9? I discovered him and Drumcorps through Krinkels

CLICK ME >>>>

BBS Signature

Response to Metal 2015-01-26 21:33:18

Sub-genres are stupid.

“Cunt metal? Spunk metal? Left-handed metal? Right-handed metal? Upwardly-mobile metal? This term “heavy metal” is only rock’n'roll anyway, because metal bands are the logical successors to Eddie Cochran and Buddy Holly.” - Lemmy Kilmister

Response to Metal 2015-01-26 22:45:15

Honestly, I'd go with whatever @Lich recommends, even if some of it doesn't fall under a strictly "metal" genre. Dude has good taste.

Other than that, not really sure what you mean to be honest. You want a metal band that is also cowboys? What? You mean like a fusion of country music and metal music or something or what exactly do you mean?

If you just want American-based metal bands, those exist. It just depends what all you like really. I find music can be a very specific thing with tastes between people varying so widely you really can't choose any one particular music that'd satisfy everyone.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Metal 2015-01-26 22:56:15

I haven't listened to much Primus but it sounds as if they have a southern accent thing going on.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Metal 2015-01-26 23:02:09

Metal on metal.
It's what I crave.
The louder, the better.
I'll turn in my grave.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal 2015-01-26 23:53:47

At 1/26/15 10:56 PM, Kwing wrote: I haven't listened to much Primus but it sounds as if they have a southern accent thing going on.

Primus us experimental as fuck and just balls out fantastic. Each song, each member is soloing.

CLICK ME >>>>

BBS Signature

Response to Metal 2015-01-26 23:58:52

At 1/26/15 10:45 PM, NeonSpider wrote:
Other than that, not really sure what you mean to be honest. You want a metal band that is also cowboys? What? You mean like a fusion of country music and metal music or something or what exactly do you mean?

A metal band that has lyricism about cowboys and instrumentals pertaining to the old western style, but heavy.

I might just have to make it myself

CLICK ME >>>>

BBS Signature

Response to Metal 2015-01-27 00:00:04

btw gergaloth your sig is quite fashionable.

fuck yuo idiote

BBS Signature

Response to Metal 2015-01-27 00:00:45

At 1/27/15 12:00 AM, Sevkat wrote: btw gergaloth your sig is quite fashionable.

Residual edge that won't wash off.

CLICK ME >>>>

BBS Signature

Response to Metal 2015-01-27 00:03:16

At 1/27/15 12:00 AM, Gergaloth wrote:

do you think columbine is still 2edgy? I mean, that was a long-ass time ago now.

fuck yuo idiote

BBS Signature

Response to Metal 2015-01-27 00:04:57

At 1/27/15 12:03 AM, Sevkat wrote:
At 1/27/15 12:00 AM, Gergaloth wrote:
do you think columbine is still 2edgy? I mean, that was a long-ass time ago now.

Glorifying it is still edgy, but not 2edgy
V-Tech is still fresh though

CLICK ME >>>>

BBS Signature

Response to Metal 2015-01-27 00:07:32

At 1/27/15 12:04 AM, Gergaloth wrote: V-Tech is still fresh though

Since when?

Metal

fuck yuo idiote

BBS Signature

Response to Metal 2015-01-27 00:28:16

clearly slappin the hoes is a gentleman's sport.

Response to Metal 2015-01-27 01:04:14

At 1/27/15 12:28 AM, DarkMatter wrote:
clearly slappin the hoes is a gentleman's sport.

Imbeciles are inevitable in any scene. They're just more noticeable because the media bathes in stupidity. Opium for the masses. It's simple, it's not dangerous, it doesn't make you think too much, it's a lullaby on every station.

But then you dig deeper and you find some real depth and poetry

CLICK ME >>>>

BBS Signature