00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MovementalStudio just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Embedding assets

332 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Embedding assets 2015-01-17 14:51:42

Curious newbie developer question for anyone who can answer --

I am currently working on a Flash game that I would like to submit at some point in the future. I've already created my own
custom asset loading protocols with external files, but is this going to create a problem if I try to submit this? Should I rewrite my code to embed the assets directly into the SWF file, or does having all of my spritesheets, leveldata, and sound files external not really matter that much?

Response to Embedding assets 2015-01-17 15:20:53

At 1/17/15 02:51 PM, Bearhack wrote: Curious newbie developer question for anyone who can answer --

I am currently working on a Flash game that I would like to submit at some point in the future. I've already created my own
custom asset loading protocols with external files, but is this going to create a problem if I try to submit this? Should I rewrite my code to embed the assets directly into the SWF file, or does having all of my spritesheets, leveldata, and sound files external not really matter that much?

If you have the files external to the swf, you have to host them somewhere. This lightens up the swf size making preloading faster (but then ofc you have to download the assets). Otherwise, embed the assets in the swf.

Response to Embedding assets 2015-01-17 17:13:54

At 1/17/15 03:20 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 1/17/15 02:51 PM, Bearhack wrote: Curious newbie developer question for anyone who can answer --

If you have the files external to the swf, you have to host them somewhere. This lightens up the swf size making preloading faster (but then ofc you have to download the assets). Otherwise, embed the assets in the swf.

Hmm... that creates a problem for me because it's not like i'm running a web server just to host assets for application download. I guess what I meant to as was does NG allow you to submit the assets along with your SWF so that your app can work properly or do I *need* to embed them?

Response to Embedding assets 2015-01-17 17:35:44

At 1/17/15 05:13 PM, Bearhack wrote: Hmm... that creates a problem for me because it's not like i'm running a web server just to host assets for application download. I guess what I meant to as was does NG allow you to submit the assets along with your SWF so that your app can work properly or do I *need* to embed them?

You need to embed them.