00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Zpredojev just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Call it "Flash" or "Puppet"?

414 Views | 2 Replies

Call it "Flash" or "Puppet"? 2015-01-16 12:17:49

(Go ahead and call me stupid if I asked this :) )

You know, here's one thing that bothers me about 2D animation that I have noticed. From my experience, there are two methods of 2D animation: the traditional, frame-by-frame animation, and the "puppet" animation (you know, its kinda like animating paper cut-out puppets).

Reason why I put quotes on puppets is because it's one category I have trouble naming. Sometimes, I would call it "Flash" animation because that's probably the norm of that kind of style, but there are other 2D software that can do the similar method (Toon Boom or Anime Studio), and saying the word "Flash animation" does give off a dying vibe. (Flash is dying, ahhhh!!)

Sometimes, I would call it "puppet" animation because during my years of studying animation, that's what my classmates would call it as that. But calling it "puppet" animation, then its most likely a good chance nobody would understand what the heck I'm talking about.

So I'm gonna ask around, bluntly, what would you name it as: Flash animation or "Puppet" animation?

Response to Call it "Flash" or "Puppet"? 2015-01-16 13:04:42

Lol, well its not me not knowing what the real name is; it is more of the general public is what concerns me.

If I just say 3D animation or CG for instance, they will immediately think of something like films from Pixar or Dreamworks. If I say 2D animation, they might think of Disney or anime.

But if I say Flash Animation, they might think "Flash is dead; stop working with Flash," or if I say "Puppet" animation, then the general public doesn't know what I meant.

Now, I call myself a Flash animator because I want to achieve great animation using the puppeting style (Look up "Chaotic," that's all Flash and it has that unique artistic look I admired). But I don't want to call myself a 2D animator because then anyone would think I work with the frame-by-frame animation (of which that is not my main purpose).

At 1/16/15 12:40 PM, supergandhi64 wrote: you've been studying animation for years but still don't know this? pathetic, get a real education. just kidding, if you're studying animation then you have every right to do so. i'm not sure since i don't know anything about animation myself except for that i watch a lot of anime. if i had to guess it sounds like motion tween to me from how you describe it

--supergandhi64

Response to Call it "Flash" or "Puppet"? 2015-01-17 08:00:25

Well, could we call it 'virtual puppet'-- or perhaps, 'tween animation'?