00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

ngads.com not loading

1,999 Views | 24 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

ngads.com not loading 2015-01-15 17:21:29

For the past few days, ngads.com won't load in either a game or movie. It hangs for 30-60 seconds, then loads the rest of the page. I guess I wouldn't mind, but I can't score medals when it's like this since the API won't load |:

I'm on NYC/Newark side of Verizon FIOS, and this has been going on in the most recent FF's available for both Win XP and Win 7. A few hours ago, it worked, but for the past few days, ngads.com has mostly been unable to load.

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to ngads.com not loading 2015-01-16 04:48:16

Let's start with the obvious. Do you have adblock enabled?

Response to ngads.com not loading 2015-01-16 23:38:22

At 1/16/15 04:48 AM, liljim wrote: Let's start with the obvious. Do you have adblock enabled?

No, it just hangs there and doesn't load. The page stops at the bottom of the submissions viewing area, then after it times out, the page loads and I'm able to vote/play/view, but the medal API won't load/log in.

But to be fair, I can't connect to a few different (legit, mainstream) websites, for certain periods of time. I checked http://www.isitdownrightnow.com, says everything's fine... what gives? I have to assume it's a routing error in the NYC/Newark Verizon FIOS network or something. I can not tell you how much I loathe networking man, it's like rectal kryptonite to me.

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to ngads.com not loading 2015-01-17 00:07:25

At 1/16/15 04:48 AM, liljim wrote: Let's start with the obvious. Do you have adblock enabled?

Hm, so Google has a map of internet disruptions? I found this in another website. Apparently something is amiss, and has been for the past week or so. Cyberwarfare, digital militarized zones, radioactive gremlins?

BBS Signature

Response to ngads.com not loading 2015-01-17 16:50:57

Hrm yeah works on FIOS in Philly and in CA on Comcast. Is it still not loading for you?

Response to ngads.com not loading 2015-01-18 00:43:56

At 1/17/15 04:50 PM, BrenTheMan wrote: Hrm yeah works on FIOS in Philly and in CA on Comcast. Is it still not loading for you?

Nope, and still no idea why a handful of sites can't finish the handshake, unless it's a security thing Firefox slipped into one of their recent updates(?) I've flushed the DNS, and rechecked all the gunk in FF's options. Only thing I saw that was different, was the addition of extra security protocols. If it was a certificate problem, I'd get a pop-up dialogue... for all I know, this is the problem :|

BBS Signature

Response to ngads.com not loading 2015-01-18 00:47:23

At 1/18/15 12:43 AM, VicariousE wrote:
At 1/17/15 04:50 PM, BrenTheMan wrote: Hrm yeah works on FIOS in Philly and in CA on Comcast. Is it still not loading for you?

Nope, and still no idea why a handful of sites can't finish the handshake, unless it's a security thing Firefox slipped into one of their recent updates(?) I've flushed the DNS, and rechecked all the gunk in FF's options. If it was a certificate problem, I'd get a pop-up dialogue... for all I know, this is the problem.

BBS Signature

Response to ngads.com not loading 2015-01-18 02:19:48

Grr, triple post! Also weird: I can't load/frame/display a Flash from dumping-grounds.com (again, it won't connect), but it can download it to a tab... HTML5 medals work, but not Flash ones.

BBS Signature

Response to ngads.com not loading 2015-01-18 11:04:23

So if you try going to:

http://ngads.com/

It doesn't load at all? Should be a white page that just says "ngads".

You could try loading that URL on your phone or another computer on wifi on the same network. If it loads, that would rule out your network. I would then suspect that something on your PC (browser, AV, etc.) is blocking it.

If it doesn't load, you could try loading it over cellular. If it loads that would suggest network.

I haven't heard any other reports of this happening. I tried loading the URL in FF on Windows and Mac and it works, so I don't think it's FF (no add-ons). I'm suspecting something on your computer, network, or segment of FIOS network.

Response to ngads.com not loading 2015-01-19 00:46:16

At 1/18/15 11:04 AM, BrenTheMan wrote: It doesn't load at all? Should be a white page that just says "ngads".

Nope, won't load, I'm stumped.

You could try loading that URL on your phone or another computer on wifi on the same network. If it loads, that would rule out your network. I would then suspect that something on your PC (browser, AV, etc.) is blocking it.

I tried 2 different computers at the same AP, same result.

If it doesn't load, you could try loading it over cellular. If it loads that would suggest network.

Think I might try the local library, see if I can connect that way, pretty sure it's the same carrier.

I haven't heard any other reports of this happening. I tried loading the URL in FF on Windows and Mac and it works, so I don't think it's FF (no add-ons). I'm suspecting something on your computer, network, or segment of FIOS network.

I haven't run into anything like this, since the late 90's, and even then it didn't last more than a few days.
Damn, ngads makes 19 hops (traceroute)? Maybe one of those IP addresses is blocked and I don't know it?!

Thanks for trying, if I learn anything new, I'll give a shout here ;) Just sucks major donkey balls waiting a full minute for a movie/game page to load....

In checking the 2 sites that don't load, I found a common address in the traceroute f126.broadband2.quicknet.se that -doesn't- load. Damn, why does it jump to Sweden? Could this be the problem?

BBS Signature

Response to ngads.com not loading 2015-01-19 01:33:46

At 1/19/15 12:46 AM, VicariousE wrote: Could this be the problem?

Yeah that doesn't seem right. Could you PM me the traceroute?

Response to ngads.com not loading 2015-01-20 14:36:10

At 1/19/15 02:37 PM, SwisherCovent wrote: Out of interest, you haven't edited your hosts file, have you? I know there are some "security" applications out there that feel the need to touch the hosts file; make sure ngads.com isn't listed in there.

How do I modify my hosts file?

Thanks for the info and link, gonna give it my full attention tonight, been really falling behind on medals :(

Oddly enough, my (very) old WinXP PC is connecting to ngads now, but my new PC running Win7 Pro is still being a bitch, and not connecting to certain sites. Maybe Windows Defender is mucking things up? The lady that owns the wireless AP I use doesn't monkey around with settings...

Eh, it's just like Scotty said, "The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."

BBS Signature

Response to ngads.com not loading 2015-01-21 02:47:51

At 1/19/15 01:33 AM, BrenTheMan wrote:
At 1/19/15 12:46 AM, VicariousE wrote: Could this be the problem?
Yeah that doesn't seem right. Could you PM me the traceroute?

When I ping the site from my machine, it times out quickly, resulting in 100% loss. There can't be that many things that would cause that without warning, right?

BBS Signature

Response to ngads.com not loading 2015-01-21 11:32:44

At 1/21/15 02:47 AM, VicariousE wrote: When I ping the site from my machine

Try doing a traceroute from your machine.

Response to ngads.com not loading 2015-01-21 18:52:57

At 1/21/15 11:32 AM, BrenTheMan wrote:
At 1/21/15 02:47 AM, VicariousE wrote: When I ping the site from my machine
Try doing a traceroute from your machine.

I did, and outside of my local network and Verizon, Cogent seems to be the only entity handing off packets, everything else is timing out. Cloudflare issues? I'll manually type out the tracer results from the DOS window and PM them to you in a few hours.

Oddly enough, around noon today I had access to ngads, and the other sites that weren't connecting before... then it went back to not working again. It was still a nice few minutes of normally *sigh*

BBS Signature

Response to ngads.com not loading 2015-01-21 19:04:34

At 1/21/15 06:52 PM, VicariousE wrote: Cloudflare issues?

That domain doesn't go through CF.

I'll manually type out the tracer results from the DOS window and PM them to you in a few hours.

You can click the icon on the upper left hand of the CMD window, then click mark. Then click and drag your cursor over the text you want copied, then right click the selected text and click copy. Then paste that to me.

Response to ngads.com not loading 2015-01-22 11:31:05

Another strange thing is happening, all the personal blog addresses at NG, are coming in from an IP address in Costa Rica!
I'd upload a picture of the Flagfox pop-up, but I can't upload to NG :| Seriously.

I tried a DNS test on a diagnostic website, and it said this: "Delegation not found at parent.

No delegation could be found at the parent, making your zone unreachable from the Internet.

Not enough nameserver information was found to test the zone vicariouse.newgrounds.com, but an IP address lookup succeeded in spite of that."

BBS Signature

Response to ngads.com not loading 2015-01-23 07:42:30

I'm experiencing the same problem too. The ads load up pretty quickly but when it comes to the gaming loading it actually leaves a blank screen and no sign of internet download on my network monitor. What's happening? cant play games or videos, though on other gaming websites they load fine for me. NG hasnt always been like this T.T

Response to ngads.com not loading 2015-01-26 04:55:24

At 1/21/15 07:04 PM, BrenTheMan wrote: You can click the icon on the upper left hand of the CMD window, then click mark. Then click and drag your cursor over the text you want copied, then right click the selected text and click copy. Then paste that to me.

Sent. When you get a chance, I'd like to hear your last word/guess of my problem. I'd try Opera, but I can't get to their download page, maybe I should dig around one of my HD's for an older version.... is this a massive breakdown of the DNS?

It's almost 2 weeks and I'm considering backing out of the top medal earners thread entirely, not that I've had much time lately..

BBS Signature

Response to ngads.com not loading 2015-01-26 07:56:25

At 1/15/15 05:21 PM, VicariousE wrote: For the past few days, ngads.com won't load etc etc

Have you considered that it may be the Dongle you're using. A couple of years ago I was using a Three.com dongle and everything with Newgrounds was fine, then one day nothing and I mean, nothing. I could visit any website I wanted to except Newgrounds. Three.com being the useless service providers that they are were clueless re: the problem. Needless to say I resolved the problem by purchasing a Vodafone Dongle. Problem fixed just like that. So don't discount that it could be the dongle you're using.

Response to ngads.com not loading 2015-01-26 09:06:06

At 1/26/15 04:55 AM, VicariousE wrote: Sent. When you get a chance, I'd like to hear your last word/guess of my problem.

I think it's upstream from you. I wouldn't mess with anything else on your computer or you risk breaking something else.

Response to ngads.com not loading 2015-01-26 16:01:06

At 1/26/15 09:06 AM, BrenTheMan wrote:
At 1/26/15 04:55 AM, VicariousE wrote: Sent. When you get a chance, I'd like to hear your last word/guess of my problem.
I think it's upstream from you. I wouldn't mess with anything else on your computer or you risk breaking something else.

I agree, it's like one or two key servers just aren't playing fair... but it is a failure in the DNS system, isn't it?

At 1/26/15 07:56 AM, gamejunkie wrote: Have you considered that it may be the Dongle you're using.

It's an off the shelf wifi radio/dongle, with no affiliation to any service provider. I've got the same problem with both my old and new computer. So it's like Bren says, it's not a problem I can fix at my end, and since my name isn't on the ISP bill... it's just a very odd collection of sites I can't get to. Only lost one place in the medals race so far :(

I'm half thinking someone hacked the local node lol, or the data it's sending back to the ISP, is plain wrong... if that's the case, I won't get normal service until the thing blows, and gets replaced.

BBS Signature

Response to ngads.com not loading 2015-01-31 17:43:15

At 1/26/15 09:06 AM, BrenTheMan wrote:

I'm all better now, thanks so much!

It was the fiber optic box decoder in the basement, you know, the splitter thing with the battery backup? Pulled the plug and the battery, reconnected, and it seems... okay now. The wireless router seems to be the weak link (also the newest gizmo in the chain), perhaps even spitting back false data to the incoming junction box.

BBS Signature

Response to ngads.com not loading 2015-01-31 20:48:46

At 1/31/15 05:43 PM, VicariousE wrote: It was the fiber optic box decoder in the basement

That is just bizarre. Glad that did the trick!

Response to ngads.com not loading 2015-01-31 20:59:55

At 1/31/15 08:48 PM, BrenTheMan wrote:
At 1/31/15 05:43 PM, VicariousE wrote: It was the fiber optic box decoder in the basement
That is just bizarre. Glad that did the trick!

No idea why there would be a build up of digital gas in that gizmo, I'd have to guess there was some conflicting info being sent somewhere. After an hour of lag and connectivity issues after the reboot (all sites were accessible immediately), the internet access is becoming more and more consistent, so it must be some kinda quality control thing that got some misleading data.. probably from the newest device connected to it :\

BBS Signature