00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TwistSSD just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What else is out there - software?

435 Views | 1 Reply
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hi guys,

I decided to post this here instead of the art forum as I figured over there the answer to my question would most likely be Photoshop or Illustrator.

I make my art assets for my games inside Adobe Flash - currently using Flash CC but I started out with all the versions dating back to Macromedia days. I've been wanting to make a game with my brother but he can't afford adobe products - especially now that Adobe has strictly switched to monthly subscriptions for all there products -__-

For the sake of forgoing illegal downloads, what are some free (or relatively cheap) programs out there that my brother could use to make art assets (animations as well if possible - if not I can animate the stills inside Flash) for me to incorporate into a Flash game?

He always uses Paint (he is on a Windows) but that requires the work of tracing the image to remove the white background and Paint, as i'm sure you know, is extremely limited as a drawing program.

Any suggestions?

Response to What else is out there - software? 2015-01-12 00:29:48

There are some alternatives such as Gimp and Pixelmator. I am not sure if they have animation capabilities. For animation you could try Belnder for 3D if needed, which I believe should still be free. If you are looking for the 2D route, you could try anime studio or toon boom. It depends on the type of game you are making and what the final file output should be. Those might be good places to start though. Good luck in your search.