00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Breakfast-Crow just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

I have an idea, idk how to create

602 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I have an idea, idk how to create 2015-01-05 22:07:27

I have an idea on a game, or app, but I do not know how to create it. Is there a tutorial that helps me at all? I also don't know if I should make it a computer game or even an application for mobile. Is making it on the computer free? What about apps, are they free?

Response to I have an idea, idk how to create 2015-01-06 07:18:50

At 1/5/15 10:07 PM, beastdboy1 wrote: I have an idea on a game, or app, but I do not know how to create it. Is there a tutorial that helps me at all? I also don't know if I should make it a computer game or even an application for mobile. Is making it on the computer free? What about apps, are they free?

Sooooooooooo many open-ended questions there. I'll give it a try...

1) See the Developer Resources on the Wiki for some beginner tips on where to start: http://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/creator-resources/game-dev-resources

The Flash IDE will cost you, working with HTML5 is free unless you decide to buy a fancy IDE, and Unity is free (in order of my perceived difficulty to start doing things, Flash being the easiest). You can share content made with any of those things on Newgrounds. Do web searches on Flash, HTML5, and Unity game development respectively to learn more. You'll get your tutorials that way too. Just search online, stuff to help you learn the basics is very common. So yes, depending on what you choose, developing games is free. My recommendation is HTML5, though. Flash isn't quite as huge as it was 5-10 years ago. HTML5 has support where Flash doesn't (mobile phones, mainly).

2) Start with a computer application, and you can always port it to mobile later, is my advice.

3) All of the big three app stores (Apple, Google, Microsoft) require developer fees. Google and Microsoft fees are one-time and Apple is per year last I checked (Microsoft switched just a few months ago to one-time). Aside from that, it's free to put your apps on the store, where you can either distribute them for free or sell them. Or you can put ads in free content (including what you distribute on Newgrounds) to have a bit of a middle ground.

Response to I have an idea, idk how to create 2015-01-06 23:04:11

Clickteam fusion 2.5, android studio, and google engine. I have researched that those are free? Can I create an app off of that? Or is what you recommended better?

Response to I have an idea, idk how to create 2015-01-07 07:43:10

At 1/6/15 11:04 PM, beastdboy1 wrote: Clickteam fusion 2.5, android studio, and google engine. I have researched that those are free? Can I create an app off of that? Or is what you recommended better?

Clickteam fusion requires paid exporters to publish to iOS, Flash, Android, and HTML5 (there are limited HTML5 capabilities in the free version, it says, but I don't know how robust those are). Additionally, it says you need either the regular version or the developer version to use them (except the HTML5 one). Look at their comparison list: http://www.clickteam.com/compare-versions

HTML5 would actually work for at least Windows Phone 8 apps (I have experience with that). I don't have experience with iOS or Android, but you could probably make those work too. There are tutorials.

Android Studio seems like a standard IDE for Android apps. It looks free, but unlike Clickteam Studio, you would need to know how to code an app.

And for the last one, are you referring to Google App Engine? Seems like that also works too, and is free. I don't know much about creating an app in the cloud, though. Again, you would need to know how to code from scratch, it seems. They do have tutorials.

For beginners, Clickteam Studio Free (and eventually one of the paid versions) might work out for you. At least you can start building something, and if you think you get something you're willing to spend money on, switch to one of the paid versions and get an exporter. Or go the xCode/Android Studio/Visual Studio route if you want to create stuff from scratch (which gives you greater control, but it is harder to grasp). Again, I don't have a ton of app experience aside from Windows Phone 8. Someone else might want to give their two cents.

If you have any other questions, it's probably better to put them in the Game Development forum where you'll get a ton more people who can help. This forum's for questions on Newgrounds features and stuff like that.