00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

wilwz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Favorite Documentary?

2,069 Views | 27 Replies

Favorite Documentary? 2014-12-28 20:12:26

Not sure if anyone is a fan of those kind of things. I often ignore most of them but a few are interesting watches.

I guess I'll even count Mockumentaries like This is Spinal Tap!

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Documentary? 2014-12-28 20:13:35

STEAM

"What I would and wouldn't do with your tight twink body is none of their business. But seriously, I would fucking destroy you." - Xenomit

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Documentary? 2014-12-28 20:30:10

Sucker for any BBC/David Attenborough doc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2zLvWeyiJY

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Documentary? 2014-12-28 20:39:22

Nanook of the North

even though it's pretty much all lies

Response to Favorite Documentary? 2014-12-28 21:27:57 (edited 2014-12-28 21:31:04)

There are too many for me to just name one, but a one I have re-watched recently was:

"Targeted: Osama Bin laden (2004) "

This is a relativity short documentary that gives a broad view into The US, the middle-east, and the intelligence world from the end of the cold war, to the end of the Pre-9-11 world. I particularly enjoy how it offers a look into the minds of old CIA field officers, their conflict with completely out of touch politicians, and how the negligence and pipe dreams of certain elected officials have lead to countless deaths and conflict. the documentary cuts through the bullshit seen and most 9/11 documentaries.

One particular person I enjoyed in it was Robert Baer, A former CIA field officer with a long experience in the Middle east, and also a harsh critic of the modern CIA, the War in Iraq, drones used for assassination, and many other things.

It is hard to find, and it often confused for a different documentary of a similar name, but I have a link to it if anyone is interested.

Response to Favorite Documentary? 2014-12-28 21:45:22

Superheroes: a neverending battle. Most comic fans will know most of what it talks about, but it is still an interesting thing to watch for a few hours

Response to Favorite Documentary? 2014-12-28 23:07:35

I Know That Voice, which is about voice acting in cartoons and video games, is a pretty good one. It's pretty interesting how each VA featured in it prepares. They way they censored language in it is hilarious.

Twitter | Deviant Art | Steam | Gamertag: Eddmario

Official MLP: FIM crew. | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Documentary? 2014-12-28 23:13:55

At 12/28/14 11:10 PM, 24901miles wrote:
At 12/28/14 08:30 PM, Gagsy wrote: Sucker for any BBC/David Attenborough doc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2zLvWeyiJY
@freaksy101

Hmm?

[18:34] <PissedWaffers> go ahead chuckle nuts, when this place is in ruins, where....

[18:34] <PissedWaffers> WHERE WILL YOU GO NOW?

Electronic Music Club

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Documentary? 2014-12-28 23:20:43

At 12/28/14 08:50 PM, Monster-64 wrote: Any documentary that has a decent enough budget to hire actual actors and are able to make battles. Though, there are some documentaries where an arms expert basically dissects the functions and uses of ancient weapons like swords and bows and arrows. I don't know his name, but shiiit that guy can make any documentary interesting. Especially with his Australian or British accent, whatever the difference is.

That older guy who did "going medieval" for the History channel? I like that one, and basically any exploration of that era.
Also, anything Stephen Fry does is good almost completely from his charisma alone. A while back I watched this 2 parter he did about aids and despite the very heavy subject matter he kept it from being being maudlin while still being respectful.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Documentary? 2014-12-28 23:39:52

- Indie Game: The Movie
- Sound City
- American: The Bill Hicks Story

Response to Favorite Documentary? 2014-12-28 23:43:39

man on wire
capturing the friedmans
the act of killing
bomb it
grizzly man
touching the void
bus 174

When ever you feel powerless, just remember this.

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal / MOTW: O Lucky Man!

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Documentary? 2014-12-28 23:48:18

At 12/28/14 11:43 PM, Natick wrote: man on wire
capturing the friedmans
the act of killing
bomb it
grizzly man
touching the void
bus 174
Free to Play

Fixed

STEAM

"What I would and wouldn't do with your tight twink body is none of their business. But seriously, I would fucking destroy you." - Xenomit

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Documentary? 2014-12-29 00:01:50

Craigslist Joe was really good

Response to Favorite Documentary? 2014-12-29 00:09:53

"The Act of Killing" was legit. Came out last year and was incredibly illuminating.

Response to Favorite Documentary? 2014-12-29 00:14:03

The one about Jonah Falcon.

Response to Favorite Documentary? 2014-12-29 06:10:26

I'm a huge fan of The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters and most of the "30 for 30" documentaries that ESPN Films has put out.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Documentary? 2014-12-29 06:38:15

Terms And Conditions May Apply (2013)

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Documentary? 2014-12-29 07:38:43

Grizzly Man

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Documentary? 2014-12-29 12:12:08

Indie Game: The Movie
It's quite inspiring watching people give up their happiness and money to make video games that may fail, just because their passionate enough about their work to do so. I also have some fond memories with this movie, watching it and making fun of it with friends...

cumfart

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Documentary? 2014-12-29 12:16:11

Download.

"let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is...fear itself" - FDR

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -George Santayana

Response to Favorite Documentary? 2014-12-29 12:18:14

Exit Through the Gift Shop counts, right? That was tons of fun.

Also Indie Game the Movie and Jodorowsky's Dune.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Documentary? 2014-12-29 12:24:15

My current favourite documentary of all time is Andrew Marr's History of Modern Britain.
Yeah.... he spares no mercy for politicians.

Response to Favorite Documentary? 2014-12-29 21:29:50

Probably all the ones I had to watch during my school career, plus various others I picked up a few facts from like

-An Inconvenient Truth
-Mickey Mouse Monopoly
-Tough Guise
-Hood 2 Hood
-America: The World Without Her

And there was this really good one on the music industry that talked about how a plethora of music artist from the 80's till present got screwed ; wish I remembered the name cuhz that one really takes the cake and was really well put together

Are you not Entertained ?!?

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Documentary? 2014-12-29 21:31:14

At 12/28/14 08:12 PM, Wegra wrote: Not sure if anyone is a fan of those kind of things. I often ignore most of them but a few are interesting watches.

I guess I'll even count Mockumentaries like This is Spinal Tap!

I love documentaries about ancient civs

The High Bunny Council Awaits

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Documentary? 2014-12-29 22:42:03

Has anyone ever seen DPRK: A Land of Whispers? I fucking loved that documentary. It showed off so much information about North Korea that I didn't know before. I watched it a long time ago, and I'm planning on rewatching it.

[Report Rule-Breaking Portal Submissions] - [Game & Movie Portal Moderator]

Response to Favorite Documentary? 2014-12-29 23:07:12

I've always been a fan of nature documentaries. Planet Earth and Life are good. I especially find the deep sea interesting, particularly bioluminescence in the pitch black depths. Brazillian cerrado is also pretty neat as well as New Zealand/Australia and the rainforests. What's also cool about those swimming lightshows aside from the apparent abnormality is how some of them can't see certain colors of light given off so some creatures sporting EAT AT JOE'S are totally invisible to them and can pass right by their face and they'd never know.

Does Koyaanisqatsi count?

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Documentary? 2014-12-31 01:06:28

Night and Fog - Having not yet worked up the nerve to take the 10-hour plunge into Shoah, this is the definitive Holocaust documentary as far as I'm concerned. Incredibly disturbing but necessary viewing.

Stop Making Sense - Best concert film of all time, hands down, won't hear any arguments.

Sans Soleil - Probably the best doc I've seen about cat worship, African revolutionaries, video games, sex museums, Vertigo, graphic giraffe murder, Icelandic children, and more.

Man With a Movie Camera - This is literally what the movies were invented for.

F For Fake - This one has Orson Welles at his fattest doing magic tricks and pontificating about art and shit. Also the entire aesthetic of those Dos Equis commercials is ripped off from this movie and I'm somehow the only person to notice.

Exit Through the Gift Shop - Admittedly this is kind of biased because I'm actually Banksy.

Las Hurdes - In 1932 Luis Bunuel took the piss out of a genre that barely even existed yet and more or less invented the mockumentary.

The Thin Blue Line - Among other things this movie literally saved a guy's life, so.

Sweetgrass - The most hypnotic movie about sheepherding you will ever see.

At 12/28/14 11:43 PM, Natick wrote: man on wire
the act of killing
grizzly man

Word.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Documentary? 2014-12-31 01:08:11

Borat.

fuck yuo idiote

BBS Signature