00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Review my new project

1,879 Views | 20 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Review my new project 2014-12-27 22:18:43

Hi,

I have created a website dedicated for conversions.
I intend to put there almost every converter or calculator you can think of, and the site already contains many.

Please review my site, tell me if you like it and what should be improved.

My site: Convert for Free

Thank you!

Response to Review my new project 2014-12-28 02:48:30

Your site does not work if JavaScript is disabled, which you should fix. Many people, such as myself, have JavaScript disabled by default, which can make your website appear broken when it's actually not. JavaScript is a nice tool but you should never rely on it.

Most of the features available on your website can be performed more conveniently through Google, so I personally wouldn't have any use for it. You'll need to do something more compelling than doing what Google, or pretty much any modern search engine, already does if you want people to visit and use your website.

Response to Review my new project 2014-12-28 11:42:54

Thanks, I will notify the visitors that JS is required in order to use this site.

About the conversions, I made several unique ones like words counter that can't be done via Google, and I add more converters almost every day.

Response to Review my new project 2015-01-01 10:51:02

*All* of this can instantly be done in google by just typing the question in the url bar and pressing enter.

That said, you could at least put all your calculators on one page. Having to load a page for each individual calculator is stupid.

Also.. I don't know why Diki is whining about jvs. Having it disabled is nonsense.

Too many HTML5 games and rich websites (like all of google's services) rely completely on jvs.

And such a tiny minority of people would ever disable it that you don't need to actually address it like Diki said. He's the one who should be jumping through hoops. Not people using the most common web language.

∀x (∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ∀x ¬(x ∈ e)) ∨ ∃y ¬∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ¬∃z (z ∈ y ∧ z ∈ e ∧ ∀x ¬((x ∈ y ∧ x ∈ e) ∧ ¬(x = z)))))

Response to Review my new project 2015-01-03 18:38:57

At 1/1/15 10:51 AM, sharpnova wrote: That said, you could at least put all your calculators on one page. Having to load a page for each individual calculator is stupid.

I can't put all the conversions and calculators on one page, because I already have few dozens of those, so it will be a very long page...

Response to Review my new project 2015-01-04 13:00:00

At 1/3/15 06:38 PM, gamestoenjoy wrote:
At 1/1/15 10:51 AM, sharpnova wrote: That said, you could at least put all your calculators on one page. Having to load a page for each individual calculator is stupid.
I can't put all the conversions and calculators on one page, because I already have few dozens of those, so it will be a very long page...

If you can't, then find some other way.

As it is now, it's cumbersome. It would be better to combine tools. Find ways to take multiple tools and combine them into one.

Having a dropdown that changes what conversions you're doing or how the conversions work would be a start.

∀x (∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ∀x ¬(x ∈ e)) ∨ ∃y ¬∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ¬∃z (z ∈ y ∧ z ∈ e ∧ ∀x ¬((x ∈ y ∧ x ∈ e) ∧ ¬(x = z)))))

Response to Review my new project 2015-01-14 17:02:06

At 1/4/15 01:00 PM, sharpnova wrote: If you can't, then find some other way.

As it is now, it's cumbersome. It would be better to combine tools. Find ways to take multiple tools and combine them into one.

Having a dropdown that changes what conversions you're doing or how the conversions work would be a start.

Ok thanks I will try to do so.

Response to Review my new project 2015-01-14 22:55:26

I can make for you a better layout, send me a PM. I can finish in 1 week

BBS Signature

Response to Review my new project 2015-01-15 00:40:47

At 1/14/15 10:55 PM, GodOfPortal wrote: I can make for you a better layout, send me a PM. I can finish in 1 week

I agree with you - the design is weird. The website isn't very useful either.

BBS Signature

Response to Review my new project 2015-01-19 21:24:19

At 1/15/15 12:40 AM, RandyRandom wrote: I agree with you - the design is weird. The website isn't very useful either.

Can you please elaborate why do you think so?
The design of the site is simple and easy to use and also it is mobile friendly.
About the content, I added many new conversions and calculators.

Response to Review my new project 2015-01-20 13:27:03

Hello,
As a fellow programmer, two of your pages need back-end work. The first is your time conversion. Entering 2 in the nanoseconds field, which is what I tried, yielded some strange results, such as 0.0656168 microseconds and 20 days, and it seems that all fields produce similar erroneous results. The second page that had issues was your decimal to fraction conversion, which for large decimal entries (9 or more) also produce strange results. Also, it accepts special characters, such as /. Other than that, it looks like you've avoided any huge bugs, I checked for cross-site scripting, unsanitized characters, etc. Good stuff all around.

Response to Review my new project 2015-01-21 03:41:33

At 1/19/15 09:24 PM, gamestoenjoy wrote:
At 1/15/15 12:40 AM, RandyRandom wrote: I agree with you - the design is weird. The website isn't very useful either.
Can you please elaborate why do you think so?
The design of the site is simple and easy to use and also it is mobile friendly.
About the content, I added many new conversions and calculators.

Simply because the same functionality is provided by Google and better. Anytime I've ever needed a conversion I couldn't be bothered to do in my head at the moment.. or a translation.. or even a calculation involving pretty much any SI or british units, a quick statement of the expression as a Google search yields the answer. And it can parse pretty much everything.

What you could make your site into instead would be a series of explanations of how to do these things on your own. The underlying formulas. Teach about dimensional analysis, etc.

That might be useful. Educational. And you could learn latex along the way which is useful.

Response to Review my new project 2015-01-21 19:18:43

Thanks I will fixed the bugs that were mentioned by you.
Adding educational stuff is a good idea.

Response to Review my new project 2015-02-17 07:42:43

I improved the layout of the site, fixed few bugs and added many useful converters.

Response to Review my new project 2015-03-14 03:03:30

I redesign the site:
* Added icons to the categories in the homepage
* Added popular conversions section
* Made my site mobile friendly
* Improved the layout and the colors
* Added many useful conversions

Should be better now :)

Response to Review my new project 2015-04-19 09:05:28

At 1/21/15 03:41 AM, sharpnova wrote: Simply because the same functionality is provided by Google and better. Anytime I've ever needed a conversion I couldn't be bothered to do in my head at the moment.. or a translation.. or even a calculation involving pretty much any SI or british units, a quick statement of the expression as a Google search yields the answer. And it can parse pretty much everything.

You can find in my site many useful conversions all in one place without the need to search, for example:
you can check the exchange rate of any currency, find the day of the week of a specific date, check if a number is a prime number, convert text to Morse code, calculate your BMI, generate meta tags for your website and much more.

Response to Review my new project 2015-04-19 09:34:41 (edited 2015-04-19 09:39:30)

At 4/19/15 09:05 AM, gamestoenjoy wrote: You can find in my site many useful conversions all in one place without the need to search, for example:
you can check the exchange rate of any currency, find the day of the week of a specific date, check if a number is a prime number, convert text to Morse code, calculate your BMI, generate meta tags for your website and much more.

Why can't you understand me?

I don't need to search anything. I just type the expression into google and it does it. Practically all I do is hit ctrl+t, then type the expression, since the url bar has focus and acts as a search bar and the answer is just there right in front of me instantly.

Some examples: (you'll have to copy and paste because newground links break on some of the characters in the links)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=(mass+of+earth)+*+(speed+of+light)%5E2+in+gigajoules

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=32+degrees+fahrenheit+in+kelvin

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=(mass+of+earth)+*+(radius+of+earth)%5E2+*+2+*+pi+%2F+(24+hours)

But imagine I don't even need to load up google.com or move my mouse into the search box.

I hit ctrl+t, type the things you saw in those animations and hit enter.

Response to Review my new project 2015-04-21 02:03:16 (edited 2015-04-21 02:04:08)

*deleted* misread interaction

Response to Review my new project 2015-04-26 04:55:11

@sharpnova to my opinion it is best when you find all the conversions in one place, but of course you can disagree...

Response to Review my new project 2015-04-26 06:55:55

At 4/26/15 04:55 AM, gamestoenjoy wrote: @sharpnova to my opinion it is best when you find all the conversions in one place, but of course you can disagree...

They are all in one place with Google. One bar in which you type your expression and it evaluates it.

There is nowhere else you have to go. You don't even need to load a webpage.

Also expressions can be complex and include many things in one expression that you'd need to use multiple tools on your website to achieve. It would take 10 times as long to do things on your website as using Google.

As I said before, your website is useless. If it helped you learn some programming or some web design or some math then that's awesome.

But functionally, what your site does is inefficient, limited, and cumbersome compared to using Google. There is zero use for your website for someone other than you. And for you, at best, it was a learning experience.

Response to Review my new project 2015-05-23 13:46:41

I am sorry but you are definitely wrong here...

Can you calculate linear regression with google bar?
Can you count words of a given text?
Can you calculate two's compliment of a number?
Can you decode a text as Morse code?
Can find the day of the week of a specific date?

You can do all of those things and many more easily with my site!