00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

cosoden just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Change in voting buttons' captions

2,370 Views | 28 Replies

The messages of voting buttons in the portals were changed. Apparently around the same time Rom asked the community to be nicer. The changes appear to reflect this requested gentleness.

Movie Portal and Game portals
0. Blam this piece of crap! changed to Blam this, plz!
1. This makes poop look good. changed to This isn't very good.
2. Nothing too new or interesting. was kept
3. Not bad. In fact… I like it! was kept
4. This Flash is crunk, fo shizzle! changed to Great work, d00d!
5. Woot!!! All my 5 R belong to this! was kept

Audio Portal
0. I hope you die in a fire. changed to I think my ears just died.
1. My ears are bleeding a little. was kept
2 to 5. were kept too

Art Portal
0. I'm gonna cut myself. changed to I can't unsee this.
1. What a pupu platter. changed to This isn't good art.
2. Try harder, almost there! was kept
3. Hey this is alright! was kept
4. That's some hot wasabi! changed to This is really good!
5. Saranghamnida! was kept

Response to Change in voting buttons' captions 2014-12-23 15:45:36

It's fine. It's fine.

Response to Change in voting buttons' captions 2014-12-23 15:48:16

But "Blam this piece of crap!" is a piece of Newgrounds history...

@TomFulp why

Response to Change in voting buttons' captions 2014-12-23 15:51:08

I hope you die in a fire was my favorite though. It will never be the same now.

"It's taking all my might to restrain from dick riding." - HomicidalFrog

Sig by Homicidee

BBS Signature

Response to Change in voting buttons' captions 2014-12-23 15:57:10

At 12/23/14 03:39 PM, Phenom9 wrote: 0. I'm gonna cut myself. changed to I can't unsee this.
1. What a pupu platter. changed to This isn't good art.
[...]
4. That's some hot wasabi! changed to This is really good!

[grinds teeth together]
Who complained about this?!

BBS Signature

Response to Change in voting buttons' captions 2014-12-23 16:03:17

Gotta tone it down for the kiddies.

BBS Signature

Response to Change in voting buttons' captions 2014-12-23 16:38:53

Well, why I'm not quite pleased with the changes, I don't care that much for them, either. Sucks, but oh well.

Though that "Good work d00d" is rather obnoxious. Seriously, I know this site if for 13+ but that doesn't mean we have to sound like 13 year olds...

Response to Change in voting buttons' captions 2014-12-23 16:40:51

At 12/23/14 03:48 PM, Bit wrote: But "Blam this piece of crap!" is a piece of Newgrounds history...

@TomFulp why

Yeah I do kinda miss that one already... If we changed just one of them back it would probably be that.

Basically I decided the voting bar wasn't a very good guide on how to treat artists. If you're pressing a vote button that tells the artist to die in a fire, it probably encourages a review telling them to die in a fire.

The Nene stuff was mostly due to it feeling too much like it was playing a "she's Asian" angle.

This leads up to a much BIGGER thing though... The reason these voting icons weren't changed sooner was because their future has been uncertain for a while now. When we switch to the one-vote-per submission system, there is a decent chance the voting bar may become something more like the star voting bar in the review box, where you can give half stars. Also it would default to whatever vote you logged, so you can easily see when you had voted on something and have the option to edit it.

This has been a tough one for me because the vote bar IS a big piece of NG history, going all the way back to the launch of the Portal. For most of the population, it's just unknown cartoon characters spouting crude comments. This is another one of those "How much does NG avoid changing at the expense of future generations actually giving a shit about NG." But would also like past generations to keep giving a shit too...

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Change in voting buttons' captions 2014-12-23 16:43:27

At 12/23/14 04:38 PM, CiviLies wrote: Though that "Good work d00d" is rather obnoxious. Seriously, I know this site if for 13+ but that doesn't mean we have to sound like 13 year olds...

"This Flash is crunk, fo shizzle!" was too dated, it was put in there when crunk was a thing.

I'm open for suggestions to replace "Good work d00d"

IN FACT... This is your opportunity to make suggestions for ALL OF THEM so fire away! And remember these vote bars aren't guaranteed to be around forever. Maybe if we replace them we'll just have an option in the settings to switch it back...

BBS Signature

Response to Change in voting buttons' captions 2014-12-23 16:57:34

At 12/23/14 04:43 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/23/14 04:38 PM, CiviLies wrote: Though that "Good work d00d" is rather obnoxious. Seriously, I know this site if for 13+ but that doesn't mean we have to sound like 13 year olds...
"This Flash is crunk, fo shizzle!" was too dated, it was put in there when crunk was a thing.

It's just ... "Good work d00d" sounds even more dated than "This Flash is crunk, fo shizzle!" It's like if you started with "Cool, dude!" but you thought it sounded too dated so you went with "Totally Tubular!" .. and you'd sound like some aging surfer.

The whole leet-speak stuff is pretty old by now.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Change in voting buttons' captions 2014-12-23 16:58:12

At 12/23/14 04:57 PM, NeonSpider wrote: It's just ... "Good work d00d" sounds even more dated than "This Flash is crunk, fo shizzle!" It's like if you started with "Cool, dude!" but you thought it sounded too dated so you went with "Totally Tubular!" .. and you'd sound like some aging surfer.

The whole leet-speak stuff is pretty old by now.

Yeah I was really uninspired when I did these.

BBS Signature

Response to Change in voting buttons' captions 2014-12-23 17:01:26

At 12/23/14 04:43 PM, TomFulp wrote: "This Flash is crunk, fo shizzle!" was too dated, it was put in there when crunk was a thing.

"dis flash got SWIGGITY-SWAGG #yolo"

Naw, I'm kidding. But if I had to replace it, it would probably say, "Hell yeah, this has some flavor" or something like that. Though I guess even "flavor" as a slang term is dated at this point.
Not sure about the rest of them...

Response to Change in voting buttons' captions 2014-12-23 17:05:09

1. C-c-crazy cool!

2. Not bad, bae.

3. ACCEPTABLE WORK

4. Wade would approve!

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Change in voting buttons' captions 2014-12-23 17:13:07

At 12/23/14 05:05 PM, ZJ wrote:
1. C-c-crazy cool!

2. Not bad, bae.

3. ACCEPTABLE WORK

4. Wade would approve!

"Not last place!"
"Consolation prize"
"No Soup for you!"

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Change in voting buttons' captions 2014-12-23 17:34:54

@TomFulp

Change it back your fucking autist. Stop ruining your own website.

fuck yuo idiote

BBS Signature

Response to Change in voting buttons' captions 2014-12-23 17:35:22

It should be like

0. Blam this piece of crap!
1. This just made me cry.
2. Nothing new or interesting.
3. This is kind of alright.
4. Pretty good innit bruv.
5. DANK FLASH M8

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to Change in voting buttons' captions 2014-12-23 17:36:43

At 12/23/14 05:35 PM, BumFodder wrote: 4. Pretty good innit bruv.
5. DANK FLASH M8

These are god-tier suggestions.

fuck yuo idiote

BBS Signature

It's hard not to think "I hope you die in a fire" or "Blam this utter piece of crap!". Spammers should have the common sense to know they suck balls :) The audience votes back the same way. Didn't need to search at all. Just one click in under judgment.

I would revert all the sentences back. They were filled with personality, attitude and curious manners. Maybe like... I hope this dies in a fire. (Not you, although fairly...) Not a chuckle.

Response to Change in voting buttons' captions 2014-12-23 17:56:00

Great work, d00d! is terrible. Maybe just change it to "Great work!"

Response to Change in voting buttons' captions 2014-12-23 19:21:34

Some suggestions...

Movies & Games
0. "Blam this, please!" (I'm not a fan of abbreviations.) Alternatively, return to the original "Blam this piece of crap!"
1. "Yikes, this isn't very good."
Keep 2 & 3 the same.
4. "Hey, this is great work!"
Keep 5 the same.

Audio
0. "That killed my headphones."

Art
1. "Wow, not good..."

"Good work, dude."
Even that would've been mildly acceptable.

Well, as long as the suggestions box is open...

Movies and Games:
0 - Blam this piece of crap!
1 - It's isn't -that- good...
2 - Nothing too new or too interesting.
3 - Not bad. In fact... I like it!
4 - Good work, dude! or Well that was... pretty good!
5 - ALRIGHT! 5!

Alternatively, we can just switch back to the old dialogues and forget this ever happened.

Response to Change in voting buttons' captions 2014-12-23 20:45:27

I also think we should switch back to "blam this piece of crap!" It is a significant part of newgrounds.

Most other changes seem fine - even if a bit uninspired. I always though that "This Flash is crunk, fo shizzle!" was funny though.

???-2004?=dark ages, 2005?=atomic betty era, 2006=red dwarf era, 2007-2009=newgrounds era, 2009-2014= anime era,

What have I done with my life?

BBS Signature

"I hope you die in a fire." is my favorite. I will always use that button now it's gone.

I ran out of funny ideas in this signature so I copy this to be funny.

Response to Change in voting buttons' captions 2014-12-24 11:59:53

At 12/24/14 11:48 AM, Thegreathorn wrote:
At 12/23/14 05:34 PM, Sevkat wrote: Change it back your fucking autist. Stop ruining your own website.
Great another person who doesn't know what autism means and just use it as a insult. Really wish Autism was just its own word and not a insult.

How do you know it's being used as an insult?

I, myself, am autistic. My friends refer to me as "austie" and "autistic" all the time. They're really terms of endearment because they like me.

That you're implying that "autist" is an insult is, in fact, insulting in and of itself. You do more damage to our reputation as autists than Sevkat has ever done, and you hide your prejudice within a shell of pseudo-sympathy which you expect to assuage you of your own ableism.

Autism speaks, but you're apparently too blinded by your own ableist guilt to listen.

Response to Change in voting buttons' captions 2014-12-24 12:18:59

the whole one vote system thing and changing buttons is bullshit. besides it wont stop people from multi voting with alts with high Voting Power.

Response to Change in voting buttons' captions 2014-12-24 12:46:15

"Too rekt, nizzle!" would be fun on the literature portal. Which by the way, is a much more beneficial (although of a different size) update than messing with a part of the site's identity. Still sad it changed, but can only think of worse ones... :)

Response to Change in voting buttons' captions 2014-12-24 13:10:46

0 - Did you use notepad to animate this?

[Report Rule-Breaking Portal Submissions] - [Game & Movie Portal Moderator]

Response to Change in voting buttons' captions 2014-12-24 13:19:54

Great another person who doesn't know what autism means and just use it as a insult. Really wish Autism was just its own word and not a insult.
How do you know it's being used as an insult?

I, myself, am autistic. My friends refer to me as "austie" and "autistic" all the time. They're really terms of endearment because they like me.

That you're implying that "autist" is an insult is, in fact, insulting in and of itself. You do more damage to our reputation as autists than Sevkat has ever done, and you hide your prejudice within a shell of pseudo-sympathy which you expect to assuage you of your own ableism.

Autism speaks, but you're apparently too blinded by your own ableist guilt to listen.

Well the reason I said it was a insult because I see people calling people names and not because they're autist like when people called bronys autistic and use them as a insult "Wow, lol, your so autistic cunt LOL." I just seen this alot of times and I know "autist" is just a own word and it's not really a singer from a word of that [which I can see some piont] but I just seen those so many times when ever I see a person go like "You're autistic" that could mean he/she is just insulting or just telling me what I am. I can't arguer this anymore it's chirstmas eve.

I ran out of funny ideas in this signature so I copy this to be funny.

Response to Change in voting buttons' captions 2014-12-24 13:28:52

I to god @TomFulp I will do unspeakable things.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature