00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

darkwerewolf just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Forum Upgrades and Random Buttons!

20,042 Views | 98 Replies
Respond to this Topic

@liljim We should go back to the old system where your aura changes automatically. Didn't they get rid of it because people would blam mindlessly? Now that the aura doesn't reflect your voting anymore, we can bring that back.

Start out with blank slate and then when users:

Post in the forums a lot: Forum Reg
Submits movies a lot: animator
Submits games a lot: programmer
etc.

No? It could motivate people to submit more based on what they want their account to reflect.

Response to Forum Upgrades and Random Buttons! 2014-11-20 11:13:13

At 11/19/14 05:42 PM, liljim wrote:
At 11/19/14 05:14 PM, Sheizenhammer wrote: I get where he's coming from though
So do I and I've no objection to an aura specifically for forum users, it's just a case of choosing appropriate wording for the description.

Considering that people that select the other auras do so because they contribute to other parts of the site, I think the default auras pretty much ARE forum users.

Response to Forum Upgrades and Random Buttons! 2014-11-20 11:19:53

At 11/20/14 11:13 AM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: Considering that people that select the other auras do so because they contribute to other parts of the site, I think the default auras pretty much ARE forum users.

Being part of discussion in the forums is still a form of contribution, vs existing on the site as an account.

I like the idea of it being an unlock after 100 posts or something... We could even consider a default "Forum Lurker" option and then once you have x posts you could choose "Forum Reg" .............?

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Upgrades and Random Buttons! 2014-11-20 11:30:56

At 11/20/14 11:19 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 11/20/14 11:13 AM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: Considering that people that select the other auras do so because they contribute to other parts of the site, I think the default auras pretty much ARE forum users.
Being part of discussion in the forums is still a form of contribution, vs existing on the site as an account.

I like the idea of it being an unlock after 100 posts or something... We could even consider a default "Forum Lurker" option and then once you have x posts you could choose "Forum Reg" .............?

Yeah, it'll be awesome having all the +1 posts just so people can unlock that! And if you went that route, you really have to consider making most of the auras like Game Developer and whatnot locked unless you post stuff (which isn't a bad idea, but adds a bunch of code to maintain just for a simple highlight color).

I always considered the more mood based auras to be more reflective of the forum users than anywhere else in the site.

This is a social section and 'forum user' is nearly as vague as 'blank slate'. But we have stuff like 'Movie Lover', 'Art Buff', etc that kind of identify where you stand . Maybe we need to add more of THOSE kinds of auras?

I could see "Helpful", "Gossip", "Sports Fan", "Useless Troll", etc applying to a lot of people. Maybe Supporters could pick a color and supply their own text too?

Response to Forum Upgrades and Random Buttons! 2014-11-21 02:05:36

Earning new things through actions can be fun and exciting. Except for the whistle system, I have been on this site for over ten years and I have yet to level up my whistle ranking.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Upgrades and Random Buttons! 2014-11-21 06:09:11

At 11/18/14 11:09 AM, DjGubkafish wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVsFwvKGvH8 It looked like this only with pillars so it must have been clone for another old console .

Oh, it goes back to the ancient Atari days! Wasn't expecting this genre would have such a backstory. Nice. I guess the one you played isn't on here though, been going through most of the 'Copter' games, but of course it could have any kind of title, like Teh UFO.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Upgrades and Random Buttons! 2014-11-21 06:16:15

At 11/21/14 02:05 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Earning new things through actions can be fun and exciting. Except for the whistle system, I have been on this site for over ten years and I have yet to level up my whistle ranking.

Just look around for abusive reviews, you get whistle points for those. Finding popular or controversial submissions and then ranking the reviews by score is an easy way! Would be so simple if you could still mark submissions as abusive too though...

BBS Signature

At 11/20/14 05:52 AM, Damien wrote: @liljim We should go back to the old system where your aura changes automatically. Didn't they get rid of it because people would blam mindlessly? Now that the aura doesn't reflect your voting anymore, we can bring that back.

Start out with blank slate and then when users:

Post in the forums a lot: Forum Reg
Submits movies a lot: animator
Submits games a lot: programmer
etc.

No? It could motivate people to submit more based on what they want their account to reflect.

I like this idea! :D I stayed with Blank Slate myself for the longest time since I didn't want to confine myself to a specific category, but the gray color isn't the most appealing. Would be nice if you could choose a color independent of title, and then have the title applied as above, though I know the colors are supposed to be content-specific. I could go back to the neutral green I loved and let the rest work itself. Or there could be a standard color linked to each title that you could override. Simple and effortless, and potentially customizable.

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Upgrades and Random Buttons! 2014-11-21 09:51:52

At 11/20/14 11:19 AM, TomFulp wrote:

Yeah I don't think that would be a good way to go. I see a lot of forums that have stats based on how much you post. Then theres those forums that review your posts before you're even accepted.
People are already comparing post count for no reason other than to brag.