00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Herozaitama just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Forum Upgrades and Random Buttons!

20,039 Views | 98 Replies
Respond to this Topic

liljim just pushed a bunch of updates live, here's the new stuff you'll find on NG today!

1) We used to have a "Random Flash" button on the site but it went away in the 2012 redesign when we changed "Flash" to "Games and Movies." The random button is back and now applies to all four content hubs! Look for it at the bottom of the left nav box in games, movies, audio and art or try a random game right now.

2) You can now re-arrange the forum listings to put your favorite forums at the top! Click the GEAR icon at the top of the forums hub. It will convert the listing to edit mode where you can drag forums, forum categories and even hid individual forums to simplify the page. YES, this does make it tempting to put all forums in a single list, vs category groupings, so you can have 100% control.

3) You can now follow individual threads! From any thread, click the heart in the top right to follow it. New replies will appear in your feed!

Hope these changes make life on NG that much more pleasant! Our feed system is getting really damn good and we have some EXCITING plans for future upgrades, please be sure to follow any artist that interests you! Never hesitate to click a heart!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Upgrades and Random Buttons! 2014-11-17 12:52:26

I wouldn't mind Chat back again! For all I care, they could cram it into the FP somewhere, like some other sites I've seen.
Glad the random button's back! This site is about as old as NG, and does me well when I'm not here... also really happy about the other upgrades! I was just beginning to wonder what the software upgrades Tom mentioned were all about...

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Upgrades and Random Buttons! 2014-11-17 13:00:16

Random button alright! Always nice to see Newgrounds improve itself with the little things

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

First game I stumbled upon was a multiplayer jigsaw puzzle, didn't know such things existed... nice feature additions! Following topics is definitely going to come in handy! That's something I've been looking forward to ever since the feature was promised. The sorting option is equally awesome, though it'd feel strange having it any other way than it already is, think I'll leave the regular order be. If you mess up the order completely btw, is there any 'resort to default' option? I just tried switching a few things around but I don't see one...

Seeing this title I was kinda expecting a fix for that users-deleting- their-posts-and-purging-entire-threads thing too... but ah well, hope that's something for a nearby update! This is pretty awesome.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Upgrades and Random Buttons! 2014-11-17 13:04:42

These are some really good changes! Simple but extremely effective. I can definitely see myself becoming a big fan of the button to watch threads.

Response to Forum Upgrades and Random Buttons! 2014-11-17 13:06:44

At 11/17/14 01:02 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Seeing this title I was kinda expecting a fix for that users-deleting- their-posts-and-purging-entire-threads thing too...

If you are talking about when a user is deleted and their posts follow them, we have an option to exclude posts from the delete, but many either want their entire history gone, or we do. It's not a bug.

Response to Forum Upgrades and Random Buttons! 2014-11-17 13:11:57

At 11/17/14 01:06 PM, liljim wrote: If you are talking about when a user is deleted and their posts follow them, we have an option to exclude posts from the delete, but many either want their entire history gone, or we do. It's not a bug.

I'm talking about how if a user requests all their posts be deleted, entire topics they have started are also deleted in the process, including any posts by other users in those topics. If it hasn't been changed recently? Some pretty large topics have disappeared over the years because of this, like the 'User Icons Club'... twice. :/

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Upgrades and Random Buttons! 2014-11-17 13:14:06

At 11/17/14 01:11 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: I'm talking about how if a user requests all their posts be deleted, entire topics they have started are also deleted in the process, including any posts by other users in those topics.

Think about what you're saying here. They want ALL THEIR POSTS DELETED. If their post is the first in the thread, then of course the thread is deleted. That's how it's supposed to work.

Yeah let's follow everything like brainless sheeples.
I'm a thinking human being and boycott this follow button... for now.

EDIT: Also, nice touch putting an image uploader and the
"NOTE: you have limited time to edit this. Remaining time: ... "
message on edit post page

Bitte meine beliebte Nazi mods, keine bannerino, weil ich auch ein Nazi Scwein bin! Danke schön

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Upgrades and Random Buttons! 2014-11-17 13:20:41

At 11/17/14 01:16 PM, SubparTony wrote: Yeah let's follow everything like brainless sheeples.
I'm a thinking human being and boycott this follow button... for now.

Yeah because following artists/topics one likes makes them "brainless sheeple". Boy, you sure are a smart individual for not following trends!!!1111

Response to Forum Upgrades and Random Buttons! 2014-11-17 13:33:44

At 11/17/14 12:43 PM, TomFulp wrote: 2) You can now re-arrange the forum listings to put your favorite forums at the top!

Good, now I can have the General forum invisible from that page and not have to look at it ever again!! :P

Response to Forum Upgrades and Random Buttons! 2014-11-17 13:52:28

At 11/17/14 01:14 PM, liljim wrote: Think about what you're saying here. They want ALL THEIR POSTS DELETED. If their post is the first in the thread, then of course the thread is deleted. That's how it's supposed to work.

It doesn't seem like a very functional solution though, considering topics often expand far beyond the scope of the opening post. Clubs, crews and other stat-based topics often go through multiple 'managers' over time, where the original OPs have little involvement, or reason to want their initial post removed. And not everyone seems to be aware that by clearing out their own posts they're also removing entire topics. I was collaborating recently with another user, and we had a topic for collecting names for a game, when said user purged his post history and the topic disappeared. All those names, gone... so we had to change our data-gathering approach a bit...

I'd think most forums use an approach where posts aren't actually deleted if a user no longer wants to be related to those posts; instead all reference to the original author of said posts is deleted, their name removed and replaced with a generic <deleted> or similar. I've used some forum scripts myself that worked that way, and it seems ideal. History's preserved and innocent users aren't affected!

Anyway, I mentioned the ' fix' for this in my first post as I recall Tom writing in an earlier topic that having at least the opening post in a topic marked with <deleted> instead of having that entire topic actually deleted would be a good solution at preserving threads, and I thought this'd be related! Jumping to conclusions...

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Upgrades and Random Buttons! 2014-11-17 14:12:25

At 11/17/14 01:52 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Anyway, I mentioned the ' fix' for this in my first post as I recall Tom writing in an earlier topic that having at least the opening post in a topic marked with <deleted> instead of having that entire topic actually deleted would be a good solution at preserving threads, and I thought this'd be related! Jumping to conclusions...

I understand what you're saying, but you are ignoring what I've told you. There are instances scattered around the forums where you'll see exactly what you've described - when a user has been deleted but their topics and posts have not. Those whose posts (and consequently any threads they've started) have been deleted because they have asked them to be, or because their actions warranted it.

Response to Forum Upgrades and Random Buttons! 2014-11-17 14:14:37

At 11/17/14 12:43 PM, Amaranthus wrote: Now all we need is a simplified lay-out.
And a chat, don't forget the chat.

YES WE WANT CHAT :D

Response to Forum Upgrades and Random Buttons! 2014-11-17 14:31:45

Good stuff! It'll nice to be regularly updated on Clubs & Crews stuff!

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Upgrades and Random Buttons! 2014-11-17 14:34:32

Geez Tom, I'm not supposed to be able to see this.
Fix this

Bitte meine beliebte Nazi mods, keine bannerino, weil ich auch ein Nazi Scwein bin! Danke schön

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Upgrades and Random Buttons! 2014-11-17 14:35:09

At 11/17/14 02:12 PM, liljim wrote: I understand what you're saying, but you are ignoring what I've told you. There are instances scattered around the forums where you'll see exactly what you've described - when a user has been deleted but their topics and posts have not. Those whose posts (and consequently any threads they've started) have been deleted because they have asked them to be, or because their actions warranted it.

I do hear what you're saying. I have seen plenty of posts marked with <deleted> by deleted users, and I think it's great that they remain where possible, but I also notice how my posts continually dwindle if I don't post for a while, and I've been involved in a few topics that disappeared because a user for some reason requested to have their posts purged, which I didn't feel merited the total annihilation of said groupings of posts. Those two User Icon Clubs were good examples I think, though with the first one the user was apparently deleted, and yet the topic was deleted as well! I do hope what you're saying here isn't that there will never be a change to how this system currently works? Because I don't believe it's a very fair system for everyone involved, and I don't think I'm alone in thinking so. Quoting SentForMe on this post:

...when you make a list like this you realize is stark detail how many posts are being taken out of the forums when people choose to delete all or many of their posts to start over. Not only are all their posts deleted, but all the posts in the threads they create as well. In this way a part of Newgrounds forum history is lost forever, which is a sad thing. I wish there was a better way to satisfy people's right to be forgotten while still saving some of the positive content that is linked to them from others...

That pretty much sums up how I feel about this matter. As for potential solutions, Malachy offered this:

Losing the threads kinds of sucks because I feel like a more elegant option could be available such as deleting the opening post but not the replies. There will always be some remnant when your posts are deleted in quoted text in replies to what you have said.

One day I'd like to see an option where you can remove your account name from previous posts and the counter in your profile says "0" but the posts remain without being attributed to you. If you really want everything removed you could ask an admin for it.

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Upgrades and Random Buttons! 2014-11-17 14:54:26

Sounds like great additions!

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Upgrades and Random Buttons! 2014-11-17 14:58:27

At 11/17/14 12:43 PM, TomFulp wrote: Hope these changes make life on NG that much more pleasant! Our feed system is getting really damn good and we have some EXCITING plans for future upgrades, please be sure to follow any artist that interests you! Never hesitate to click a heart!

More buttons = More problems

Click the Squid -> 🦑

Response to Forum Upgrades and Random Buttons! 2014-11-17 15:14:30

At 11/17/14 02:35 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Losing the threads kinds of sucks because I feel like a more elegant option could be available such as deleting the opening post but not the replies.

Well, this oversimplifies the problem - which is that a user may have ONE topic that needs saving amongst hundreds if not thousands of others they want binning. What you're asking here is that there's some subjective rule applied to each and every topic before it's removed from their history - cherry pick the keepers from the rest. We're too small a team to do that and this constant expectation that we're going to be able to appease everyone all of the time is unrealistic.

Keeping the topic but removing the initial post has two other glaring problems - the first is that the vast majority of threads NEED the post to make any sense of them. And the second:

There will always be some remnant when your posts are deleted in quoted text in replies to what you have said.

And therein lies another problem. When people want to be gone, they want to be gone. It really is that simple.

One day I'd like to see an option where you can remove your account name from previous posts and the counter in your profile says "0" but the posts remain without being attributed to you. If you really want everything removed you could ask an admin for it.

I can think of nothing more time consuming than having someone go through each and every post in some of these huge threads for instances of names that need removing. Whilst it IS sad that these threads sometimes disappear, that's the nature of the beast.

Anyway, check the forum index page, I put in options to restore defaults.

I'm also waiting semi-patiently on a new chat, especially since the main skype chat faded out.

Glad to see the forum getting updates!
I think most people don't really know how much work is going on behind the scenes for these "small" updates, but just getting new stuff out of the blue, is great for A. the new stuff, and B. it lets everybody know they're steadily working on it.

Response to Forum Upgrades and Random Buttons! 2014-11-17 16:00:44

Heya, just popping in to say I'm really happy about the upgrades, it's some cool stuff and it's nice knowing things are still being added!

First blood! First topic of 2010!

KC Green has just won my heart.

Kogey made a sig, but it was too much for me to handle.

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Upgrades and Random Buttons! 2014-11-17 16:06:30

At 11/17/14 03:14 PM, liljim wrote: What you're asking here is that there's some subjective rule applied to each and every topic before it's removed from their history - cherry pick the keepers from the rest.

In a better case scenario most threads wouldn't need to be picked at all, nor deleted, but more on that below. As for subjective rules though, would a restriction preventing topics of a certain size (IOW amount of posts) be deleted without review work better? Of course that'd still require the user's OK to their initial post remaining, if initial posts aren't deleted (which are indeed usually useful guides to the topic to follow), and if letting posts remain without user reference isn't the standard way to go about such things...

There will always be some remnant when your posts are deleted in quoted text in replies to what you have said.
And therein lies another problem. When people want to be gone, they want to be gone. It really is that simple.

Yet this applies not only to quotes within a topic, but to quotes within other topics those users have posted in. As the system works now there are still remnants of their writing quoted within other users posts.

I can think of nothing more time consuming than having someone go through each and every post in some of these huge threads for instances of names that need removing. Whilst it IS sad that these threads sometimes disappear, that's the nature of the beast.

I'd assume he was suggesting this could be an automated task, a script, where at most someone approves the request, and said user then has all reference to their recorded posts instantly wiped out and replaced with a <deleted>. Or maybe for sake of clarity an <a nonymous> in place of their name. Most of the time I'd think users are satisfied with that - they just don't want these posts in their post history, or their names by those posts. In those rare cases when they actually have certain information they want to hide/remove, then of course it'd have to go through an admin, as it does now, at which point topics being deleted might be the inevitable outcome. With the suggested option available though, maybe so much content wouldn't have to be disappear, and it'd save time for all involved parties!

As for the time consumption with going through posts in huge threads replacing users instances, couldn't an automated search and replace quickly look up quotation instances and swap out specified names with <replacement>? Quote headers seem easy to find since they all follow a distinct pattern.

Anyway, check the forum index page, I put in options to restore defaults.

Working flawlessly, thanks! :) Wasn't expecting to turn this thing into a full-blown debate btw, but I do appreciate all the answers. I don't expect you - as in the devoted and limited NG staff - to appease all individual user requests, but it seems to me some changes could make things easier/better for everyone!

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Upgrades and Random Buttons! 2014-11-17 17:10:34

Nice updates, Liljim and Tom. I'm looking forward to the simpler design. I've been paying attention to that when lurking.

Response to Forum Upgrades and Random Buttons! 2014-11-17 17:17:26

This is why I like newgrounds because you people make so much upgrades and care about the site unlike other sites where you flag someone for bullying they don't just flag the person or be dumb and think they're innocent even they did insult a race or something but great job you people I hope there more great stuff in the future.

I ran out of funny ideas in this signature so I copy this to be funny.

Love the random buttons. I no longer have to keep the URLs bookmarked for that. One suggestion would be to put them on the front page as well, like at the bottom with the other buttons perhaps.

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Upgrades and Random Buttons! 2014-11-17 17:47:43

Can I still use my bookmark?

NG UOTD 2/4/11 | I run a Minecraft server. | Con los terroristas

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Upgrades and Random Buttons! 2014-11-17 18:37:59

I'm glad my pleas didn't go unheard. I've been asking for the ability to favorite threads for a while now. Thanks guys!

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Upgrades and Random Buttons! 2014-11-17 18:41:12

At 11/17/14 01:04 PM, Amaranthus wrote: Also an orange aura for forum regulars would be nice.

Who/what would decide which users are regulars?

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Upgrades and Random Buttons! 2014-11-17 18:45:31

At 11/17/14 12:57 PM, Sekhem wrote: it would be cool if followed threads appeared pinned at the top of the forum they're in

What about a button that links you to a page that has the threads you're following? Like how we have the one that links to the rules and have it up there. Like next to the Read The Rules and Create New Topic there's a Threads Followed one.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature