00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MagDeWarrior just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Feminism

1,860 Views | 31 Replies

Response to Feminism 2014-11-19 06:21:45

At 11/18/14 05:28 PM, killer32 wrote: Sounds like a murder to me. This is the oldest trick in the book for killing your own kid.

It's happened before? O_o In this case it seemed to be plain irresponsibility though, and I doubt it would have happened if the mother was looking after the kid... but that's just my opinion.

Is there any scientific evidence for these "maternal instincts"

Is there any evidence against them? I looked around, and though I'm probably looking in the wrong places, it seems there's surprisingly little research on the topic. Maybe because the bonds between mothers and their children is demonstrably so strong most people wouldn't question them in the first place? I found one study claiming maternal instincts are hard-wired to the brain, and one claiming that fathers have just as much 'maternal' instincts as the mothers, and that maternal instincts is simply a social construct. I'd question the methods of research they used to reach that conclusion though, just letting the parents hear the cries of babies, their own and others, and seeing if they recognized the cries... I'd think just asking any mother if they care for their child, and asking the father if they care as much as the mother would suffice. But even if these instincts are but a social construct, society steers the way of virtually all laws we abide by. It may steer the mere concept of what we deem as right and wrong, oftentimes our very sense of purpose and motive for survival, so why would we want to change such fundamental and ingrained behavioral patterns? Would it make things better? For us, for future generations?

Again, theres no evidence suggesting that people are genetically programed for certain roles, and as for both parents seeking a career, thats their problem. Nobody is forcing anybody to have life consuming career, people choice that by their own free will. A woman can still be a stay at home mom if she wants to. Shitty parents being stupid is not the fault of feminism.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but generally I believe they are. The fact that a mother gives birth to the child seems strong enough reason they'd share a stronger bond than that of the child and the father. Mothers breastfeed, they naturally spend more time with the child. I'm sure a father can develop the same care and instinct, but I don't believe it's natural. Our bodies are different. Our bodies dictate our purpose. That said, I believe parents of both genders are needed to properly raising a child, or at least both 'mind sets' that each gender would traditionally have. It's a fact that men and women think differently, I could dig up plenty of research on that.

The core of Feminism, as 'the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes.' can be interpreted in many ways. What's equality? The right to do and achieve the same things regardless of gender? Or the right to have to do the same things, regardless of gender? I feel like too much focus is being put on the latter, even though it's clear that men and women aren't built the same, and aren't meant to be do exactly the same things in all facets of life. Though we could argue which facets that is, I'm sure we agree there are fundamental differences between genders, right? If not in mind at least in body. A free will is only so powerful in the face of propaganda and social expectations.

At 11/18/14 05:53 PM, snickity wrote: I suppose you were raised at your parents home?

Indeed.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Feminism 2014-11-19 06:45:58

At 11/15/14 08:29 AM, killer32 wrote: Women are still being underpaid. Researches have shown that In 2013, among full-time, year-round workers, women were paid 78 percent of what men were paid. Furthermore, women over 35 and women of color are paid even less. Hispanic women’s salaries show the largest gap, at 54 percent of white men’s earnings and women over 35 are paid 80-75 percent of what a man earns. So if you are a Hispanic women over 35 you are making some where between 34-29 percent.

The wage gap has been debunked so many times that it is just plain saddening that people could still cling to the myth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58arQIr882w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwogDPh-Sow

Second, women are still being harassed in the workplace. The office isn't a bar where you can get drunk and hit on chicks, women still experience derogatory terms howled at them, get the their ass grabbed and in some rare cases even rape.

You're gonna need, you know, at least a single jot of evidence for this.

Third, In a lot of the places in the world women undergo genital mutilation. According to the UNICEF, More than 133 million girls and women have experienced some form of female genital mutilation (FGM) in the 29 countries in Africa and the Middle East where the harmful practice is most common. Beyond extreme physical and psychological pain, girls who undergo FGM are at risk of prolonged bleeding, infection (including HIV), infertility, complications during pregnancy and death.

1. Nobody in the western world except for african/arab immigrants would ever defend FGM, so it's pointless bringing this up.

2. Western feminists spend almost no time talking about FGM compared to trivial crap like catcalling, women in videogames and the T-shirts worn by fucking scientists. In fact, anti-feminist men routinely bring up issues like FGM to demonstrate how insignificant the crap that western feminists complain about compared to real issues facing women in the world.

3. Men in much of the western world under genital mutilation without their consent. Of course, this is not as bad as FGM but feminists almost never talk about it, and when they do they usually say they support it. And it's not as if they're too busy talking about FGM to care about male circumcision, they literally don't care about it at all and will consider any "issue', no matter how trivial, facing women in the western world more important. And then feminists wonder why everyone scoffs at them being for 'equality".

In-conclusion, There are still a lot of feminists issues around and ignoring them won't fix anything. Also, I am aware that there are men rights issues as well but the goal of feminism isn't to make women superior, it is to achieve equality.

If they actually cared about equality it wouldn't be called feminism and feminists wouldn't talk exclusively about women's issues.

BBS Signature