00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

xrusteater0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

"Ebola is not something to joke

2,877 Views | 45 Replies

"Ebola is not something to joke 2014-11-05 09:03:02

about."

Do you agree?

BBS Signature

Response to "Ebola is not something to joke 2014-11-05 09:05:16

Ebola cornflakes.

BBS Signature

Response to "Ebola is not something to joke 2014-11-05 09:23:46

I LOVE YOU EBOLA CHAN!

Response to "Ebola is not something to joke 2014-11-05 09:27:26

We love you, Ebola-chan.

Response to "Ebola is not something to joke 2014-11-05 09:41:20

Ebola perfect ten.

BBS Signature

I think there are appropriate places to joke about it obviously. Humor is how most of us survive through day to day, after all.

I also think it's reasonable to be concerned at a certain level about Ebola in your country or region if it has been identified. And it's also a good idea to educate yourself about it. Those concerned and those who are not. I mean, maybe you have a stupid friend who likes to catch and terrorize fruitbats, or lick counters and not wash their hands, I dunno.

Just use your common sense.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/pdf/infographic.pdf

The CDC tells us it cannot be spread through food or water in the US. However, at the same time the Pentagon is telling people to fully cook their food as a way to avoid it. (I took some pictures for you. edit: ugh, that didn't turn out right. hold on) So just use your own level of caution, and just so long as you're actually properly educated on the issue I think joking may be harmless.

Voice of Pipistrella in Pit People, Riley from Zonestream. Voice of Lily, Aurora and Lenora in Everwing

Response to "Ebola is not something to joke 2014-11-05 10:11:43

In this day and age controversial humor seems to be appreciated

BBS Signature

I went ahead and typed up what the flyer said. Like I said, feel free to joke away if you're actually aware and well educated on prevention.

PENTAGON EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT

Ebola Virus Disease (EVD)
Prevention and Awareness

Protect Yourself! On 30 September 2014, the first travel-associated case of Ebola was diagnosed in the United States. Since then, several people in the Washington, DC Metropolitan area have been quarantined and tested for the Ebola Virus Disease (EVD); all tested negative. Since this area sees many travelers from around the world, it is important to understand how this disease is transmitted along with knowing the signs and symptoms, and staying abreast of the latest news and guidance to help protect yourself and others.

Background

The 2014 Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) epidemic is the largest in history, affecting multiple countries in West Africa. There are over 7,000 reported cases, all but 3 cases located in West Africa. There are several factors for the increased risk of spread in that region; limited infrastructure for adequate health measures at border points, care-seeking behaviors across borders, and cross-border surveillance and contact tracing across and beyond borders. There are many organizations, including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, who have deployed personnel to assist in the containment of the disease and treatment of affected people. Increased monitoring at points of entry is in place here in the United States in an effort to mitigate this risk. Knowledge and education are the keys to preventing the spread of this deadly disease.

Infection and Transmission

The risk of contracting EVD is low unless you come into direct contact with the blood or bodily fluids (urine, saliva, feces, vomit, sweat, and semen) of a person who is sick with Ebola. EVD can live on hard surfaces (door knobs and countertops) for several hours; however, the virus in body fluids (such as blood) can survive up to several days at room temperature. EVD can be killed with hospital-grade disinfectants (such as household bleach.)

That last bit means that Ebola can survive outside of bodily fluids, on surfaces, for hours. Then if there are bodily fluids it can stay alive for several days. So telling people that the only way to catch it is by touching a sick person is erroneous. As I see a lot of people who like to joke about it say this exact thing, I figured I'd point it out. The risk is low, but there is still a risk.

6 WAYS TO PREVENT EBOLA
Ebola is a dangerous virus but can be avoided easily!

1 Avoid physical contact with people showing symptoms of the Ebola virus.
2 Wash your hands regularly with clean water and soap.
3 Keep away from (fruit)bats, monkeys, dead animals and bush meat.
4 Animal products should be thoroughly cooked before consumption.
5 Inform health authorities immediately in case of contact with expected or confirmed Ebola cases.
6 Only travel to areas where there is an Ebola outbreak in case of urgent need.

SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS: Sudden fever, intense weakness, muscle pain, headache and sore throat, possibly followed by vomiting, diarrhea, rash, impaired kidney and liver function, internal and external bleeding.

Voice of Pipistrella in Pit People, Riley from Zonestream. Voice of Lily, Aurora and Lenora in Everwing

Response to "Ebola is not something to joke 2014-11-05 10:39:16

I have a joke about ebola, you probably wont get it.

FUN FACT:
For those of you in the Maryland area, you can participate in a clinical trial to help find a vaccine for Ebola. Don't worry, financial compensation will be provided.

Let's get Ebola

I boop your nose. *boop*

Response to "Ebola is not something to joke 2014-11-05 10:43:20

I normally don't have a problem with any subject, really, be it racism, ableism, religion, homosexuality, fatal diseases etc.
There's just one criterium needs to fulfill: your joke needs to be funny, and that's where a load of people go wrong.
"Lol ebola lol" doesn't make you a top of the range comedian. It makes you look like a right nob.

At 11/5/14 10:14 AM, Piper wrote: Keep away from dead animals

???

*sigh*

BBS Signature

At 11/5/14 10:44 AM, Cordyceps wrote: Ebola is actually not a real threat, so joke about it all you want.

^^^
This.

Ebola isn't even much of a threat in most of Africa, let alone in countries like the US and other First world countries which have a strong medical infrastructure.

Besides that, humor is an important thing, There is nothing that should be "off limits". There is humor in everything, especially things like death and tragedy. Even when it's in my own personal life, I can find elements of irony and humor to laugh at; it's a lot like the German concept of Schadenfreude, except extended to yourself.

I don't like putting things off limits, it obstructs thought, review and reassessing things.

Also, all love to Ebola-chan.

Response to "Ebola is not something to joke 2014-11-05 11:17:30

What did I have for supper last night?

Ebola soup.

I think any intellegent individual will understand that any risk, is a risk, no matter how low. If low risks were no threat to us motor vehicles wouldn't come with airbags and seat belts. No need to freak out over Ebola, or possible car crashes. But having a smug disposition about it seems a little juvenile to me. Like you're not gonna put on your seat belt? Or use hand sanitizer after touching the door handle to a busy public bathroom (a surface in which the Ebola virus can survive without bodily fluids for hours)? I mean, making jokes is completely understandable. But being genuinely dismissive of it? I think that kind of behavior is bizarre. What is there to gain other than some kind of self sustained sense of security?

Ah, fuck it. I'm just gonna grab an Ebola shaped strap-on and start fucking everyone in the mouth. Let's go.

At 11/5/14 10:43 AM, Splats wrote:
At 11/5/14 10:14 AM, Piper wrote: Keep away from dead animals
???

Don't ask me. Ask the Pentagon. *shrugs*

Response to "Ebola is not something to joke 2014-11-05 12:33:30

no if we dont laugh a the messed up shit in the world we will let it ruin our lives

keep on Reaping on

BBS Signature

Response to "Ebola is not something to joke 2014-11-05 12:39:06

At 11/5/14 10:39 AM, stealthypanda wrote: I have a joke about ebola, you probably wont get it.

I love you.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to "Ebola is not something to joke 2014-11-05 12:45:16

At 11/5/14 09:03 AM, klompors wrote: about."

Do you agree

Yes I do so let's not kiss any nurses who treat Ebola patients like the president did. Tsk tsk

Response to "Ebola is not something to joke 2014-11-05 13:50:12

At 11/5/14 01:01 PM, Cordyceps wrote: I don't wear a seatbelt or wash my hands in the bathroom because I'm not a huge pussy

Aww. Thanks for your confession. I feel so close to you now. *tear*

Response to "Ebola is not something to joke 2014-11-05 14:27:24

At 11/5/14 09:41 AM, Captain-Slugworth wrote: The year is 2014
Ebola is officially a hip and very trendy fashion statement.

I knew ebola back in 2001, when they were just a local band in the Savannah.

I got Tom to make a sig, bow down to me.

BBS Signature

Response to "Ebola is not something to joke 2014-11-05 14:29:27

Response to "Ebola is not something to joke 2014-11-05 14:47:56

At 11/5/14 11:48 AM, Piper wrote: Ah, fuck it. I'm just gonna grab an Ebola shaped strap-on and start fucking everyone in the mouth. Let's go.

What a way to finish a post. I say put it on a t-shirt.

*sigh*

BBS Signature

Response to "Ebola is not something to joke 2014-11-05 15:37:20

Is Ebola some kind of cyber ensnaring weapon or something?

Bitte meine beliebte Nazi mods, keine bannerino, weil ich auch ein Nazi Scwein bin! Danke schön

BBS Signature

Response to "Ebola is not something to joke 2014-11-05 15:45:41

What's it like to have sex with Ebola?

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to "Ebola is not something to joke 2014-11-05 15:49:47

Horrible jokes told to me by a doctor:

How did the infected guy get to California? He Flu

What do you give an infected dog to wear? A dog cholera

Yeah. They're that bad.

Birds Born in a cage think Flying is an illness - Alejandro Jodorowsky

BBS Signature

Response to "Ebola is not something to joke 2014-11-05 15:51:06

Ebola is something you can joke about. You can joke about everything since laughing doesn't hurt everyone.
Telling people their doctor is part of a racist cult isn't a joke though, it's just a dick move.

Response to "Ebola is not something to joke 2014-11-05 15:53:45

this is an ebola friendly site.

Response to "Ebola is not something to joke 2014-11-05 16:00:47

People shouldn't be so scared about this virus from Africa, he only has 2 more years in office

~Sweet memories of us I do recall~

~Dear angel please come back before I fall~

BBS Signature

Response to "Ebola is not something to joke 2014-11-05 17:38:47

Solwings formerly dalexj1337 - Being a sped online since 2014

BBS Signature

Response to "Ebola is not something to joke 2014-11-05 17:41:04

ebolaids, mankind's extinction

BBS Signature

Response to "Ebola is not something to joke 2014-11-05 18:11:33

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqIMjHpxJes

It brought us this in 1996.

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to "Ebola is not something to joke 2014-11-05 19:08:45

I agree. It's a horrible disease.