00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Matilly just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Atheist Clubs at Schools

3,953 Views | 79 Replies

Atheist Clubs at Schools 2014-10-29 17:44:08

Are any of you NG BBS regulars or users members of your local atheist/sketics club at your community/junior college, university, high school, etc?

At my community college's atheist/skeptics club, we discuss a lot about how religion is illogical and contradicts with science. Our atheist club also has a Facebook page and it has activity almost everyday, where members exchange information and interesting facts and articles from atheist websites. We have a few hundred members and it is growing each and everyday, surpassing the membership of a Christian club on campus. Most of our members are very eloquent, articulate and intelligent people who have goals to go on to a good university and pursue a career.

If you are a member of an atheist/skeptic/agnostic club or are interested in joining one, how is it like and what do you anticipate from one? Will you participate in atheist club activities and be interested in joining a larger regional or even national atheist organization?

Support your local atheist club!

Response to Atheist Clubs at Schools 2014-10-29 17:45:53

How about we respect other people's religions

BBS Signature

Response to Atheist Clubs at Schools 2014-10-29 17:48:21

I've never heard of an atheist club at any school I have ever been in...

Inhale

BBS Signature

Response to Atheist Clubs at Schools 2014-10-29 17:49:39

At 10/29/14 05:45 PM, klompors wrote: How about we respect other people's religions

lol fuk off m8

I got Tom to make a sig, bow down to me.

BBS Signature

Response to Atheist Clubs at Schools 2014-10-29 17:53:42

I'm giving this a chance at not being a flame war, as so far people have been fairly civil. Keep being civil or users and eventually the thread itself will go down. This will be the only warning.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to Atheist Clubs at Schools 2014-10-29 17:58:28

you mean fedora knitting club xDDDDDD

My topics when I wasn't an asshole...12

NOBODY IS ALLOWED TO STEAL AND/OR EDIT MY SIG WITHOUT MY PERMISSION

BBS Signature

Response to Atheist Clubs at Schools 2014-10-29 18:23:16

It's ok, our Lord will forgive you for your sins.

Bitte meine beliebte Nazi mods, keine bannerino, weil ich auch ein Nazi Scwein bin! Danke schön

BBS Signature

Response to Atheist Clubs at Schools 2014-10-29 18:26:16

There was no such thing back in my day.

However, my high school did have a prayer club.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Atheist Clubs at Schools 2014-10-29 18:36:35 (edited 2014-10-29 18:37:18)

Not Atheism specifically, but we did have two clubs which always seemed to focus on taking an objective and intellectual approaches to thinking about the world. Those were the Institute for Social Thought (political science club) and Socratic Sessions (Philosophy Club).

At 10/29/14 05:53 PM, stafffighter wrote: I'm giving this a chance at not being a flame war, as so far people have been fairly civil. Keep being civil or users and eventually the thread itself will go down. This will be the only warning.

Are you trying to help this forum? Honestly, that does the complete opposite of creating a manageable discussion which promotes deeper thought. All you're doing is threatening teenagers with punishment for exercising their minds.

Just an 02er.

Response to Atheist Clubs at Schools 2014-10-29 18:39:05

An atheist club. I would say that atheism is a pretty bad thing as a kid, because they cannot learn to accept other religions, because I met some as a child who called me stupid for believing in God. I just think that they should not start an atheist club. That's kinda crazy.

Response to Atheist Clubs at Schools 2014-10-29 18:44:45

At 10/29/14 05:44 PM, MiniLesson wrote: At my community college's atheist/skeptics club, we discuss a lot about how religion is illogical and contradicts with science.

Why should this be a routine thing, if I may be so bold to ask? Unless you have members coming and going like a revolving door, don't you think you'd have a solid understanding of your beliefs/nonbeliefs after the first couple of visits?

BBS Signature

Response to Atheist Clubs at Schools 2014-10-29 19:14:16

How about we look at religion as just another subject like philosophy and be open to exploring it.

It's better then any fedora infested jerk circle.

Response to Atheist Clubs at Schools 2014-10-29 19:16:13

At 10/29/14 06:43 PM, MMHM wrote:
At 10/29/14 06:39 PM, cga-999 wrote:
Bad experiences. I'm sure not all atheists are cunts, I was, but some must be alright. Maybe it's just something you grow out of? Like wearing hoodies and listening to soft rock music.

I would hope so.

Response to Atheist Clubs at Schools 2014-10-29 19:20:27 (edited 2014-10-29 19:21:18)

Wow what a completely conceited way to spend ones time.

Hey guys I don't believe in God.
Me neither!
Thats great! Lets make a club to talk about how we DON'T believe in something.

At 10/29/14 05:45 PM, klompors wrote: How about we respect other people's religions

Fucking holla.

I don't believe in any god myself but I have a lot of respect for people who have a form of faith. Who are any of us to shake up what a person believes in. Facts be damned. Faith is more about whats inside you, not whats outside for everyone else to see.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to Atheist Clubs at Schools 2014-10-29 19:22:52

At 10/29/14 07:20 PM, Gagsy wrote: Wow what a completely conceited way to spend ones time.

Me neither!

What about a secular club? Is that conceited?

Response to Atheist Clubs at Schools 2014-10-29 19:28:02

At 10/29/14 07:22 PM, Scintillating wrote:
What about a secular club? Is that conceited?

Don't know what that would even entail.

I mean the article sharing thing is very interesting I'm sure to those atheists involved and who enjoy reading up on the subject but I just PERSONALLY find it such a negative way to think. I could think of too many ways I'd rather spend my time then reconfirming the fact that I don't believe in something. I mean you can't not believe in something anymore then already not believing in it.

And any atheist who makes it their public duty to convert believers needs a kick up the back side if you ask me. Besides the holier than thou outspoken ones who do more damage to their religions then any atheist can, faith is a deeply personal thing to people and thats how it should stay.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to Atheist Clubs at Schools 2014-10-29 19:50:52

At 10/29/14 07:20 PM, Gagsy wrote: Thats great! Lets make a club to talk about how we DON'T believe in something.

"Thats great! Lets make a club to talk about how we believe in something." - religion.

Response to Atheist Clubs at Schools 2014-10-29 19:52:34

Is Christianity the only religion who's people turn to atheism?

You never hear of atheist former Buddhists, Muslims or Jews.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Atheist Clubs at Schools 2014-10-29 19:54:54

At 10/29/14 07:50 PM, BrenTheMan wrote:
At 10/29/14 07:20 PM, Gagsy wrote: Thats great! Lets make a club to talk about how we DON'T believe in something.
"Thats great! Lets make a club to talk about how we believe in something." - religion.

Hold on what's a club

A club is an association of two or more people united by a common interest or goal.

Fucking preposterous

Response to Atheist Clubs at Schools 2014-10-29 20:03:42

At 10/29/14 07:54 PM, Ejit wrote:
Hold on what's a club

A club is an association of two or more people united by a common interest or goal.

Fucking preposterous

And conceited!

Response to Atheist Clubs at Schools 2014-10-29 20:17:26 (edited 2014-10-29 20:18:43)

As much as an Atheist Club has the potential to become a massive circlejerk, it's not as though religious groups haven't already turned circlejerking into an art form.

Atheists be like "God isn't real!"; Theists be like "God is real!"
Atheists be like "There's no magical sky man!"; Theists be like "God is great!"
Atheists be like "Theists r dum!"; Theists be like "Atheists r dum!"

But both groups have the potential to rise beyond the circlejerk, assuming they are led by someone who isn't a massive bigot.

Some churches hold food drives, run hospitals, and donate to charities.

Some atheist groups focus on raising awareness of issues, discussing theism, and donating to charities.

So an atheist club can really only be as good as the person who leads it. If it's led by a literal fedora-wielding neckbear who wants to put theists in work camps, then obviously you're not going to go beyond the "theists r dum!" point.

If it's led by a well-adjusted, intellectual adult then there may be real opportunity to discuss the origins and impact of theism, ways to improve the public perception of atheists, cooperative activities with theist clubs as a show of good will, and mass neck-shavings to bring up public image.

Response to Atheist Clubs at Schools 2014-10-29 20:18:01

Conceited people are the worst

Atheist Clubs at Schools

Response to Atheist Clubs at Schools 2014-10-29 20:24:18

no i would be part of a christian club if i were able to go outside

Solwings formerly dalexj1337 - Being a sped online since 2014

BBS Signature

Response to Atheist Clubs at Schools 2014-10-29 21:00:24

At 10/29/14 07:20 PM, Gagsy wrote: Wow what a completely conceited way to spend ones time.

Me neither!

This. I mean, I'm glad people have the right to form Atheist clubs, that's great and all, but as an Atheist myself, I just find it unnecessary and passive aggressive.

Response to Atheist Clubs at Schools 2014-10-29 21:12:34

At 10/29/14 08:18 PM, Ejit wrote: Conceited people are the worst

Oh god, Conchita.

~Sweet memories of us I do recall~

~Dear angel please come back before I fall~

BBS Signature

Response to Atheist Clubs at Schools 2014-10-29 21:53:02

At 10/29/14 05:44 PM, MiniLesson wrote: At my community college's atheist/skeptics club, we discuss a lot about how religion is illogical and contradicts with science.

You must go to a pretty shitty school if you have any consortium of students that honestly believes this.

Happily ETS'd.

BBS Signature

Response to Atheist Clubs at Schools 2014-10-29 22:02:41

Uhm, nope.

Atheist Clubs at Schools

Response to Atheist Clubs at Schools 2014-10-29 22:17:58

At 10/29/14 10:15 PM, MMHM wrote:
At 10/29/14 07:16 PM, cga-999 wrote:

You're going to find it really difficult to make friends with that attitude. Are you still bitter that your parents allegedly lied to you? Newsflash, everyone's parents did about something. Also, a furry talking about social handicaps? MY SIDES!

I agree. He should not discriminate against religious people.

Response to Atheist Clubs at Schools 2014-10-29 22:21:42

At 10/29/14 07:52 PM, Painbringer wrote: former Muslims

another term for a former muslim is a headless corpse

gaydemocrat: i just found a seed in my dope

gaydemocrat: this is a fucking outrage

BBS Signature

Response to Atheist Clubs at Schools 2014-10-29 23:11:23

At 10/29/14 06:36 PM, Profanity wrote: Are you trying to help this forum? Honestly, that does the complete opposite of creating a manageable discussion which promotes deeper thought. All you're doing is threatening teenagers with punishment for exercising their minds.

He's trying to prevent this thread from turning into a massive shit fest. Like damn near all religion related threads do on here.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature