00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mikeymurder just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

My first decent creation.

1,173 Views | 20 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

My first decent creation. 2014-10-27 15:13:56

Hey guys. I'm just getting started with drawing and what not. This is the first thing I've made that wasn't terribly disproportionate. Positive criticism is always welcome

Response to My first decent creation. 2014-10-27 19:27:29

At 10/27/14 03:13 PM, RationLlama wrote: Hey guys. I'm just getting started with drawing and what not. This is the first thing I've made that wasn't terribly disproportionate. Positive criticism is always welcome

So proportion-wise, you did well, and you have a very good eye for shadows but i'd take a look at those hair spikes once again, the shadows are opposite where they should be cast. Two things bother me with this and this is understandable because I was once at these positions in my art lessons:

1. The chest area isn't round but because of the black background, the dark grey shirt, and the angled point of the shirt makes the chest look extended. So here I cannot tell if the character is male or female. I will assume male for no reason. Make sure that you use folds and curves on the body so that the body angle is not confused with the body shape.

2. Work on your posing. along with your anatomy, this will come in handy as you keep drawing more and more dynamic characters and poses.

I also did a redraw just to show the points I listed. Can't wait to see more of your arts friend.

Response to My first decent creation. 2014-10-27 21:48:20

At 10/27/14 07:27 PM, LurkinMcClerkin wrote:
At 10/27/14 03:13 PM, RationLlama wrote: Hey guys. I'm just getting started with drawing and what not. This is the first thing I've made that wasn't terribly disproportionate. Positive criticism is always welcome
So proportion-wise, you did well, and you have a very good eye for shadows but i'd take a look at those hair spikes once again, the shadows are opposite where they should be cast. Two things bother me with this and this is understandable because I was once at these positions in my art lessons:

1. The chest area isn't round but because of the black background, the dark grey shirt, and the angled point of the shirt makes the chest look extended. So here I cannot tell if the character is male or female. I will assume male for no reason. Make sure that you use folds and curves on the body so that the body angle is not confused with the body shape.

2. Work on your posing. along with your anatomy, this will come in handy as you keep drawing more and more dynamic characters and poses.

I also did a redraw just to show the points I listed. Can't wait to see more of your arts friend.

Wow man, you made me feel terribly inadequate, but in the best way possible. I can certainly see where I am lacking. That redraw, even as just a sketch, is awesome. I hope I can get to the point where my finished products look that good. Thank you for the advice. I'll certainly take it to heart and work on my skills.

Response to My first decent creation. 2014-10-28 06:32:58

also try making the flame the main light source! more dynamic shadows = more fun to color and better final result

Response to My first decent creation. 2014-10-28 11:08:44

Lurkin, I took your advice about learning anatomy, and watched a couple of videos last night. I don't have a perfect understanding of it, but I understand it better. I used your redraw of my guy to make more....I guess fluid pose (I don't know what word I'm looking for) and made sketched this. I think I did ok.

Response to My first decent creation. 2014-10-28 12:48:00

At 10/28/14 11:08 AM, RationLlama wrote: Lurkin, I took your advice about learning anatomy, and watched a couple of videos last night. I don't have a perfect understanding of it, but I understand it better. I used your redraw of my guy to make more....I guess fluid pose (I don't know what word I'm looking for) and made sketched this. I think I did ok.

You did well and that was a huge improvement. But I do notice one thing and this is an issue with people just learning anatomy and poses. Make sure that your character's stance is following the flow of the spine instead of basic shapes. Even if the character isn't anatomically correct it will still make for a decent drawing.

Until you study more on anatomy watch this Video.

Response to My first decent creation. 2014-10-28 12:49:42

At 10/28/14 12:48 PM, LurkinMcClerkin wrote:

:anatomy and poses. Make sure that your character's stance is following the flow of the spine instead of basic shapes.

I meant to say "basic shapes and limps" sorry.

Response to My first decent creation. 2014-10-28 12:51:36

At 10/28/14 12:49 PM, LurkinMcClerkin wrote:
At 10/28/14 12:48 PM, LurkinMcClerkin wrote: anatomy and poses. Make sure that your character's stance is following the flow of the spine instead of basic shapes.
"basic shapes and limps" sorry.

LIMBS! God i suck at english today. Also that video helped me out a lot, the lighting bolt technique helped me out immensely when planning limbs.

Ok, I kinda understand what you are saying, but I can't see what I should do in my sketch to make it correct. Could you sketch over mine a little bit so i can see better what I should do?

Should i rotate the abdomen back a little bit?

Response to My first decent creation. 2014-10-28 13:57:55

At 10/28/14 01:05 PM, RationLlama wrote: Ok, I kinda understand what you are saying, but I can't see what I should do in my sketch to make it correct. Could you sketch over mine a little bit so i can see better what I should do?

Should i rotate the abdomen back a little bit?

No you're doing fine. Btw I'm not saying what you're doing is wrong, you're using shapes and lines to determine body parts which is great, just to make the image look more organic, make those body shapes follow the spine.

Response to My first decent creation. 2014-10-28 14:17:41

So something like this?

Response to My first decent creation. 2014-10-28 19:30:57

At 10/28/14 02:17 PM, RationLlama wrote: So something like this?

Hello! Just jumping into the conversation.

First, way to go on making an effort to improve! It's always nice to see someone come into the forum so eager to learn.

As far as your drawing goes, I would try focusing solely on the body for now. Clothing and drapery is a beast of its own, and if your focusing on anatomy along with that big trench coat, it might be a little more challenging to pick up. Once you draw a figure that you're really happy with, drape the clothes around it, and I think you'll have a much easier time of it.

Response to My first decent creation. 2014-10-29 05:47:04

At 10/28/14 07:30 PM, monsterparty wrote:
At 10/28/14 02:17 PM, RationLlama wrote: So something like this?
Hello! Just jumping into the conversation.

First, way to go on making an effort to improve! It's always nice to see someone come into the forum so eager to learn.

As far as your drawing goes, I would try focusing solely on the body for now. Clothing and drapery is a beast of its own, and if your focusing on anatomy along with that big trench coat, it might be a little more challenging to pick up. Once you draw a figure that you're really happy with, drape the clothes around it, and I think you'll have a much easier time of it.

Welcome to the party, monster...party!

So this is what I ended up with (my inking needs work.) Please note I am not good at making heads and faces.

Response to My first decent creation. 2014-10-29 10:01:20

I just wanted to say thank you to Lurkin and Monster. Your help is pretty invaluable and your kindness equally so. I do really want to learn how to create good art. They say it takes about 7 years to perfect a craft, and I'm in this for the long haul.

Response to My first decent creation. 2014-10-30 19:26:20

Cool!

Keep me in mind for voice acting roles, low poly 3d art etc :)

BBS Signature

Response to My first decent creation. 2014-11-01 01:01:06

At 10/29/14 10:01 AM, RationLlama wrote: I just wanted to say thank you to Lurkin and Monster. Your help is pretty invaluable and your kindness equally so. I do really want to learn how to create good art. They say it takes about 7 years to perfect a craft, and I'm in this for the long haul.

You're welcome. The drawing looks fantastic!

Response to My first decent creation. 2014-11-01 09:40:35

I can definitely see improvement in your second drawing, the pose makes it a lot more interesting!
I'd say, study a lot of poses, redraw them and work with reference material, this will really help you improve more. Also the folds on the clothing aren't quite right, I'd study photos of clothing too to get a better understanding of how clothing folds around the human body.
Keep it up! I really like your art style :)

Response to My first decent creation. 2014-11-03 07:49:18

I enjoy your sketches more than the finished product, it looks less stiff.

Response to My first decent creation. 2014-11-03 09:52:23

At 11/3/14 07:49 AM, ShiniSou wrote: I enjoy your sketches more than the finished product, it looks less stiff.

I agree with you. What should I do to make it look less "stiff?"

Response to My first decent creation. 2014-11-03 11:00:24

At 11/3/14 09:52 AM, RationLlama wrote:
At 11/3/14 07:49 AM, ShiniSou wrote: I enjoy your sketches more than the finished product, it looks less stiff.
I agree with you. What should I do to make it look less "stiff?"

The first one only appears to be not as stiff, because he's standing perfectly still. The other one has that movement, but still a completely straight back and shoulders. Just gotta train your anatomy some more.

Don't focus on it all the time, though; simply the more you draw, the more it will come naturally.

BBS Signature

Response to My first decent creation. 2014-11-03 23:25:56

So I made a tiny ninja. Not amazing, but I think it's super cute.