00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

It's official - cats are bad pets

2,399 Views | 34 Replies

The Case Against Owning Cats

To summarize:

Your cat doesn't really love you, your cat doesn't rub against you to show affection but rather to mark you as territory, your cat is an environmental disaster, and bacteria which breed inside your cat have been shown to change humans' brain chemistry.

I've suspected for years that cats aren't as great as most of us would like to believe, but this article sums up the whole issue rather nicely.

So, Newgrounds, how does this affect your opinion of cats? Do you still love your cat? Would you still get a cat?

Response to It's official - cats are bad pets 2014-10-20 08:59:44

Well as a cat owner this pretty much just agrees with what ive always said

Cat's just let you live in their world, they are gods in animal form

All hail the cat overlords

"who are you to decide what is right and wrong? where do you draw that line?"

BBS Signature

Response to It's official - cats are bad pets 2014-10-20 09:13:40

At 10/20/14 09:06 AM, SCTE3 wrote: Right.... cats grow used to humans with time. Also. cats tend to bring you dead birds and such if they rarely see you eating because they fear you are too stupid to hunt for food yourself and are going to starve.

Maybe in order to preserve the human, giver of food, but not as an act of love.

Also, for your viewing pleasure: SupertoxoplasmaGondii64 (the parasite which cats spread)

Response to It's official - cats are bad pets 2014-10-20 09:18:25

Now for the chicken egg question. Are they crazy because they have lots of cats or do they have lots of cats because they're crazy?

BBS Signature

Response to It's official - cats are bad pets 2014-10-20 09:23:47

That is not true. I have a cat and it's lovely!

till we overdose

Response to It's official - cats are bad pets 2014-10-20 09:24:35

At 10/20/14 09:23 AM, ComicD wrote: That is not true. I have a cat and it's lovely!

That's just the Toxoplasma gondii speaking.

Response to It's official - cats are bad pets 2014-10-20 09:26:54

At 10/20/14 09:24 AM, Bit wrote:
At 10/20/14 09:23 AM, ComicD wrote: That is not true. I have a cat and it's lovely!

I'll just stick to one cat. And also, I don't have problems with my cat's feces, it poops outside the house.

till we overdose

Response to It's official - cats are bad pets 2014-10-20 09:26:56

I need a little protection in life, and a dog can give you that. It's also the perfect companion.
Cats don't do shit

BBS Signature

Response to It's official - cats are bad pets 2014-10-20 09:31:24

At 10/20/14 09:26 AM, ComicD wrote:
At 10/20/14 09:24 AM, Bit wrote:
I don't have problems with my cat's feces, it poops outside the house.

You didn't read the article. That doesn't necessarily help.

Response to It's official - cats are bad pets 2014-10-20 10:27:19

It was the cats that killed Hemingway! I knew it all along!

BBS Signature

Response to It's official - cats are bad pets 2014-10-20 10:37:28

Well, they're not bad per se; they're just evil.
Evil can be justified.

Response to It's official - cats are bad pets 2014-10-20 10:56:40

At 10/20/14 08:56 AM, Bit wrote: Your cat doesn't really love you

I thought that was common knowledge.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to It's official - cats are bad pets 2014-10-20 10:59:20

At 10/20/14 10:37 AM, NGPulp wrote: Evil is justified.

NGPulp confirmed Nazi sympathizer.

At 10/20/14 10:56 AM, Radaketor wrote:
At 10/20/14 08:56 AM, Bit wrote: Your cat doesn't really love you
I thought that was common knowledge.

You would think so, but there is a large portion of cat owners who believe that their cats actually care about them beyond their ability to provide food.

Response to It's official - cats are bad pets 2014-10-20 11:13:07

5:24 PM - Hat-Fondler: adverb

5:24 PM - 平沢唯: jewishly

5:25 PM - Kupo: frothingly

BBS Signature

Response to It's official - cats are bad pets 2014-10-20 11:14:36

At 10/20/14 10:59 AM, Bit wrote:
At 10/20/14 10:37 AM, NGPulp wrote: Evil is justified.
NGPulp confirmed Nazi sympathizer.

Springtime for Hitler and Germany
Deutschland is happy and gay...

Response to It's official - cats are bad pets 2014-10-20 16:31:51

There is a cat that comes around our place all the time. He never asks for food, he doesn't destroy anything and isn't territorial, or at least not in the way this article tells it. When I have to go to sleep, I just take him from anywhere he is in the house and take him outside. He never bites or attack me for doing, and leaves after a little while when I out him outside. The worst he ever does is complain a little when we move him out of a place where he is comfortable.

Very nice cat indeed :)

Response to It's official - cats are bad pets 2014-10-20 16:42:33

At 10/20/14 09:26 AM, ComicD wrote: it poops outside the house.

and this is one of the many reasons why I hate cats, the foul smelling shit that ends up on my front lawn. Thank god for coffee grounds, that usually scares them away

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature

Response to It's official - cats are bad pets 2014-10-20 19:17:14

my cat's cute and hangs out with me and I like to pet him; I don't give a fuck

Response to It's official - cats are bad pets 2014-10-20 19:45:44

I don't care. I love my feline friends. They're fantastic companions and have brought me so much joy over my life that I can't say that I have ever regretted owning them.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to It's official - cats are bad pets 2014-10-20 19:46:07

At 10/20/14 09:26 AM, klompors wrote: I need a little protection in life, and a dog can give you that. It's also the perfect companion.
Cats don't do shit

Dude cats are natural born hunters and love chasing down prey, you just have to train them properly to sharpen their animal instincts. Dogs make great guardians, some can be pretty fast and their jaws can be nasty, but I wouldn't count cats out quite yet. Though I will admit that a fight between a dog and cat will probably result in the victory for a dog, I think cats can defend against people pretty well.

Response to It's official - cats are bad pets 2014-10-20 19:50:01

At 10/20/14 07:49 PM, SansNumbers wrote: My (now deceased) cat killed a dog once, which is a hilarious story to tell.

Oh my, do tell!

Response to It's official - cats are bad pets 2014-10-20 20:04:18

Yeah yeah yeah, everyone has heard all of this before a million times. Everybody knows about toxoplasmosis and everybody knows about how cats mark their territory. This isn't news to anyone. It's not that simple, though. Sometimes they really are affectionate. My old cat used to follow me everywhere and wait for me by the stairs when she knew I'd be about to sit there to wait for the school bus. And she'd come upstairs at night and scratch at my door until I let her in. I never even once fed her ever, not cat food and not human food. All I did was pet her. But I was her favorite person. She didn't pay nearly as much attention to other people, yet she had no evolutionary benefit from cozying up to me.

I'll pick dogs over cats, though, if I am to choose.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to It's official - cats are bad pets 2014-10-20 21:51:19

At 10/20/14 08:56 AM, Bit wrote: The Case Against Owning Cats
Your cat doesn't really love you,
I've suspected for years that cats aren't as great as most of us would like to believe, but this article sums up the whole issue rather nicely.

I have always thought that cats are bad pets.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

It's simple really. Cat owners are more intelligent than dog owners.

If you don't like having cats as pets but you do like having dogs as pets, you're just not smart enough to be a cat owner. That's all.

Plus dogs will love their owner unconditionally because they're dependent as hell, whereas cats either like you or not based of their own choosing, and they're independent. If cats don't like you it just means you suck as a person. Conversely, if cats tend to like you you must be alright.

Dogs liking/not liking you is more a factor of their owners' personality than the dog itself. Cats are smarter than dogs. Dogs are more trainable but cats are like F this I do what I want.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to It's official - cats are bad pets 2014-10-20 22:26:09

Cats are like people, there are generalities but some cats are complete sweethearts while others are assholes.

At 10/20/14 11:27 PM, SCTE3 wrote: My favorite part of having a cat as a pet? Aside from them usually being on your lap is the purring. Probably one of the best ways to relieve stress I think.

SCTE3, you're one of the few cats I don't mind (the other is Sherbert, rest his furry soul), but I seriously hope you were tested for T gondii before posting in my thread. I really don't need any more brain parasites feasting on my grey matter thx.

Also, my thread needs to be up to OSHA specs because liability

Response to It's official - cats are bad pets 2014-10-20 23:34:37

It's sort of like the whole gender equality, people will get away with saying shit about cats, but as soon as anything is said against dogs suddenly they jump onto it and claim lying and crap and make up more shit, and then also exactly like gender equality no one outside those doing the pointless arguments really give a shit or pay any attention and wish both sides would just be quiet and stop trying to start shit.

At 10/20/14 11:24 PM, Xenomit wrote: The Egyptians worshiped cats, I love the Egyptians; I worship cats

The Egyptians worshiped cats because they thought they were funny. The pyramids are actually giant cat heads underground.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to It's official - cats are bad pets 2014-10-20 23:44:16

At 10/20/14 11:34 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: It's sort of like the whole gender equality, people will get away with saying shit about cats, but as soon as anything is said against dogs suddenly they jump onto it and claim lying and crap and make up more shit, and then also exactly like gender equality no one outside those doing the pointless arguments really give a shit or pay any attention and wish both sides would just be quiet and stop trying to start shit.

I never said that dogs were perfect. What exactly are your arguments against dogs?

Also, this discussion is not about gender equality. There's enough shitposting in every other thread about the topic. Let's not start this here.

Response to It's official - cats are bad pets 2014-10-20 23:48:16

At 10/20/14 11:44 PM, Bit wrote: I never said that dogs were perfect. What exactly are your arguments against dogs?

I never said you did. Nor did I say you didn't.

Also, this discussion is not about gender equality. There's enough shitposting in every other thread about the topic. Let's not start this here.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to It's official - cats are bad pets 2014-10-21 12:44:19

It doesn't matter if my cat doesn't love me , because i love it , and thats all that matters .

Steam |

Yes i do like mudkips