00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

deadenddraws just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Power of Four, MAGFest, Halloween

11,397 Views | 49 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Power of Four, MAGFest, Halloween 2014-10-14 11:49:05

Today is the formal deadline for the Power of Four event. Will a bunch of games be getting published? I'm not sure! When we did the Power of Three event in 2009, most teams didn't actually finish on time but the event still had a huge impact in terms of team-building and projects eventually being completed. Will the same happen this time? We'll see! I'd love to hear any updates people have on their experience up to this point.

Who plans to be at MAGFest this year?

If I talked at MAGFest, what would be more interesting: A talk about NG, a talk about the Behemoth, or a panel with other people? Are you an artist / developer who would want to be on that panel and be available? I was thinking it would be interesting to give a talk about the past few years of transition for NG, with the whole "end of Flash" hype and NG being closely tied to Flash... Maybe that would be interesting?

Don't miss the Halloween Spooktacular, costume contest, Jazza's zombify art contest and/or our Pumpkin Carving contest this month! If you carve a pumpkin, base it on a character you've seen on Newgrounds and take pictures. I'll be posting an official Pumpkin Carving thread later this month.

I tossed together a Halloween Playlist you can listen to while getting in the spirit.

We have been getting AMAZING movies this month, I hope you've been watching them!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Power of Four, MAGFest, Halloween 2014-10-14 12:02:46

I am looking forward to the other submissions as well! The PO3 was very inspiring to watch, so seeing the little reminder on the side of the screen when I logged in for PO4 really encouraged me to participate.

Not only that I was able to come up with some great puzzles that pushed the limits of my game engine, and have come up with better optimization and interaction hierarchies to make implementation more fluid.

I make Comic Sans look good.

BBS Signature

Response to Power of Four, MAGFest, Halloween 2014-10-14 12:03:28

Aw man, can't attend MAGFest.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Power of Four, MAGFest, Halloween 2014-10-14 12:58:31

Might be cool to have a panel of artists / animators / musicians / developers. Like maybe one or two from each and speak on how the site benefits them and how many opportunities and collaborations its been part of.

I think most panels I've ever seen it seems animators are the only people ever vocal about their experiences on the site and I think opening it up to all sorts of success stories would capture the spirit of the site more effectively.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Power of Four, MAGFest, Halloween 2014-10-14 13:11:27

We won't be done for the deadline, but now we can work on making the game look and feel less crappy.

I think a talk about NG would be better, since many ppl think "oh I remember newgrounds from years ago, some flash anims and games" rather than the community, exposure + good ecpm, and html5/unity support. Or don't talk at all and just play The Reward, Lucky Day Forever, and Animator vs Anim 4 for the crowd and get all the applause.

Response to Power of Four, MAGFest, Halloween 2014-10-14 13:28:02

I just want to say this,i hope Flash won't die out (Or atleast die out so fast) because i think it's the literal baseline for movies. However,i don't mind anything that isn't Flash either.

I see you looking.

Response to Power of Four, MAGFest, Halloween 2014-10-14 13:30:24

BBS Signature

Hell yes, I love Halloween playlists! Listening to it right now. Amazing movies this month indeed! Real awesome. I was pretty stoked for PO4 but ended up doing nothing for it. I've just recently got a good idea for a flash game though, so I will probably drop a line on the collabinator soon. The collabinator could use a mascot by the way. Much like how each of the portals have one. Just throwing it out there. Would be nice. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the games that are being made right now. Oh, and all of the magfest topics sound interesting to be honest. The topic of the changes here on NG would get my vote, but I imagine it's not that interesting for non-users.

No news about A Room Full Of Spoons? O:

At 10/14/14 01:30 PM, TomFulp wrote: Would be cool to do a THEN and NOW screening...

Great idea. My friends were really impressed when I showed them all the episodes of AvsA. I say do it.

BBS Signature

Response to Power of Four, MAGFest, Halloween 2014-10-14 13:47:20

At 10/14/14 01:30 PM, TomFulp wrote: Would be cool to do a THEN and NOW screening...
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/316541
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/646774

Tom, don't forget the elephants in the room. The THEN screening would (and should) have a lot of Meet n' Fuck games and the like.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Power of Four, MAGFest, Halloween 2014-10-14 13:50:56

At 10/14/14 11:49 AM, TomFulp wrote: Today is the formal deadline for the Power of Four event. Will a bunch of games be getting published? I'm not sure! When we did the Power of Three event in 2009, most teams didn't actually finish on time but the event still had a huge impact in terms of team-building and projects eventually being completed. Will the same happen this time? We'll see! I'd love to hear any updates people have on their experience up to this point.

You still haven't played the PO3 game I worked on back in '09, Tom. I seriously spent over 4 months on it and you never even saw it. I'm still disappointed in you. But here's a link to it and you can make it up to me by throwing it on the front page or something.

BBS Signature

Response to Power of Four, MAGFest, Halloween 2014-10-14 14:00:54

At 10/14/14 01:50 PM, Magical-Zorse wrote: You still haven't played the PO3 game I worked on back in '09, Tom. I seriously spent over 4 months on it and you never even saw it. I'm still disappointed in you. But here's a link to it and you can make it up to me by throwing it on the front page or something.

I can now officially say I've played it! Needs more Bubbles though.

BBS Signature

At 10/14/14 01:41 PM, Whirlguy wrote: The collabinator could use a mascot by the way. Much like how each of the portals have one. Just throwing it out there.

The Collabinator mascot is could use more attention but here's there in the site skin on the Collabinator - all of the individual bots come together, Devastator style!

BBS Signature

Response to Power of Four, MAGFest, Halloween 2014-10-14 14:18:20

At 10/14/14 02:01 PM, TomFulp wrote: The Collabinator mascot is could use more attention but here's there in the site skin on the Collabinator - all of the individual bots come together, Devastator style!

I never noticed that, that's really clever.

Response to Power of Four, MAGFest, Halloween 2014-10-14 14:20:58

At 10/14/14 02:00 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 10/14/14 01:50 PM, Magical-Zorse wrote: You still haven't played the PO3 game I worked on back in '09, Tom. I seriously spent over 4 months on it and you never even saw it. I'm still disappointed in you. But here's a link to it and you can make it up to me by throwing it on the front page or something.
I can now officially say I've played it! Needs more Bubbles though.

Newgrounds needs moar bubbles.

Power of Four, MAGFest, Halloween

BBS Signature

Response to Power of Four, MAGFest, Halloween 2014-10-14 14:30:38

At 10/14/14 02:01 PM, TomFulp wrote: The Collabinator mascot is could use more attention but here's there in the site skin on the Collabinator - all of the individual bots come together, Devastator style!

Ha, absolutely right you are.

BBS Signature

Response to Power of Four, MAGFest, Halloween 2014-10-14 15:17:47

SEE YOU THERE

BBS Signature

Response to Power of Four, MAGFest, Halloween 2014-10-14 15:33:54

At 10/14/14 03:17 PM, RicePirate wrote: SEE YOU THERE

Did you book your hotel? Looks like Saturday is sold out at the host hotel.

BBS Signature

Response to Power of Four, MAGFest, Halloween 2014-10-14 15:53:25

At 10/14/14 03:33 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 10/14/14 03:17 PM, RicePirate wrote: SEE YOU THERE
Did you book your hotel? Looks like Saturday is sold out at the host hotel.

Pfft, all the cool kids are staying at non-gaylord hotels. Love the idea of a Newgrounds panel!

Response to Power of Four, MAGFest, Halloween 2014-10-14 15:57:25

As for PO4, we won't be able to get the game in today but we're aiming for this week.

Response to Power of Four, MAGFest, Halloween 2014-10-14 16:27:29

abandoned PO4 game months ago.

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

RIP Four Score

Nobody knew what they were doing, so the team fell apart. We won't be submitting our entry.

RIP in kill @bobie11, @cacola, and @teravex 2009-2009

BBS Signature

Response to Power of Four, MAGFest, Halloween 2014-10-14 16:36:30

I might volunteer for Magfest, still debating.

Response to Power of Four, MAGFest, Halloween 2014-10-14 17:04:45

At 10/14/14 11:49 AM, TomFulp wrote:
If I talked at MAGFest, what would be more interesting: A talk about NG, a talk about the Behemoth, or a panel with other people? Are you an artist / developer who would want to be on that panel and be available? I was thinking it would be interesting to give a talk about the past few years of transition for NG, with the whole "end of Flash" hype and NG being closely tied to Flash... Maybe that would be interesting?

Could you do a talk about the best and worst NEO-GEO games? I'm in need of sage advice on that front.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Power of Four, MAGFest, Halloween 2014-10-14 17:26:46

At 10/14/14 11:49 AM, TomFulp wrote: Today is the formal deadline for the Power of Four event. Will a bunch of games be getting published? I'm not sure!

What do we tag our game with?

BBS Signature

Response to Power of Four, MAGFest, Halloween 2014-10-14 17:48:46

At 10/14/14 05:26 PM, Potatoman wrote:
At 10/14/14 11:49 AM, TomFulp wrote: Today is the formal deadline for the Power of Four event. Will a bunch of games be getting published? I'm not sure!
What do we tag our game with?

You can tag with "po4" hopefully that does the trick!

BBS Signature

Response to Power of Four, MAGFest, Halloween 2014-10-14 17:58:33

Me, MrChambers, Stejkrobot, and possibly Dferociousbeast and Cromagg are going to MAGfest this year! A Newgrounds Panel would be awesome! I'm pumped to see who also comes to MAGfest too!

At 10/14/14 02:01 PM, TomFulp wrote: ...

I will be there, son. And I might be rocking a Chalice of Marfa t-shirt.
If you did a panel, I'd want to hear your thoughts and opinions on the medium of flash for game development, especially as a gateway drug for the casual creator with no formal experience or education on the craft. There are thousands of dudes who have great ideas for games, but because they have no idea where to begin development, they figure it must be too insanely complicated for them and that they'd best just stick to playing games and grieving about them.

I enjoy a successful career in a profession entirely unrelated to games, animation, and art in general. Gaming, doodling, and animating are all just interests of mine, and Newgrounds and Flash have enabled me to really delve into them at my own pace in a supportive environment. I'm a nobody as far as you're concerned, but perhaps to those thousands of imaginative, frustrated minds out there I might be an everyman hero of sorts.

I'd be willing to speak with you on a panel regarding my own experiences and small victories in game-development and animation in the Newgrounds community. I mean, I'm like a lot handsomer than you though, so I dunno if you want me stealing your thunder...

Heh, I realized I have a lot of spooky Newgrounds tunes lying around. I found most of these trying to find fitting audio for a Halloween flash I never finished a couple of years ago. Allow me to fill up on that list of yours Tom:

BBS Signature

Response to Power of Four, MAGFest, Halloween 2014-10-14 20:45:20

Can you please give a talk about how Flash is not REALLY dead? I think Adobe might actually be coming around with tools that will allow "Flash" to be delivered on way more platforms than ever before including in modern web browsers... I believe they'll get there!

Fingers crossed!

Response to Power of Four, MAGFest, Halloween 2014-10-14 22:06:46

At 10/14/14 11:49 AM, TomFulp wrote: Today is the formal deadline for the Power of Four event. Will a bunch of games be getting published? I'm not sure! When we did the Power of Three event in 2009, most teams didn't actually finish on time but the event still had a huge impact in terms of team-building and projects eventually being completed. Will the same happen this time? We'll see! I'd love to hear any updates people have on their experience up to this point.

Who plans to be at MAGFest this year?

I may bring Indie Game Riot to MAGFest. Depends on financials, but crossing my fingers. Might even throw a panel application on the off chance they accept it. If we're there, I'll be sure we hit you up, Tom!