00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

twmimic001 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Fear of planets

5,817 Views | 35 Replies

Fear of planets 2014-10-13 19:05:15

I have an irrational fear of planets, specifically Gas Giants like Jupiter and Saturn, but more Jupiter then Saturn. Jupiters Red Spot scares the living shit out of me, the fact that it's the size of two Earths makes me freeze up in my chair whenever I look at it, and then I start to get sweaty then try to take the picture off the screen as fast as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAq76TX4iLw I can't watch something like this without having an all out panic attack, can anyone relate?

Response to Fear of planets 2014-10-13 19:10:05

At 10/13/14 07:07 PM, Monster-64 wrote: I heard that sometime in the future, 2012 maybe, Jupiter will crash into Earth.

*takes off shades*

...My god...

Response to Fear of planets 2014-10-13 19:18:29

Hey, pretty boy.

I'm gonna' land on Uranus.

fuk

BBS Signature

Response to Fear of planets 2014-10-13 19:37:23

But meteors aren't planets.

Response to Fear of planets 2014-10-13 19:42:26

At 10/13/14 07:37 PM, CiviLies wrote: But meteors aren't planets.

Let me be more specific, I have a phobia of space alltogether, stars, galaxies, black holes, asteroids, meteors, moons, you name it. This picture especially bothers me.

Fear of planets

Response to Fear of planets 2014-10-13 19:45:05

At 10/13/14 07:42 PM, solamander wrote:
Let me be more specific, I have a phobia of space alltogether, stars, galaxies, black holes, asteroids, meteors, moons, you name it. This picture especially bothers me.

Does this include black holes? Like, the super giant black holes? The kinds found in our galaxy? Because our galaxy is home to some of the most massive black holes. Some black holes are moving, too.

Response to Fear of planets 2014-10-13 19:48:24

News Flash:

You are standing on a planet right now.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Fear of planets 2014-10-13 19:50:29

People who are afraid of incomprehensibly big things? I wouldn't think it's that uncommon.

If I may pull a bit of a GameChanger, This video does a great job putting the size of our planets into perspective. Don't have a panic attack, though!

BBS Signature

Response to Fear of planets 2014-10-13 19:51:38

It's the year 2087. solamander is on a transport ship bound for the Martian Retirement Colony. The ship encounters severe solar storms and is taken off course. Their sensors and viewers are offline as they spend weeks traveling the wrong way. When the sensors are brought back online, they found that they are nowhere near their destination and don't have enough fuel to make the journey back. The inexperienced pilot decides that an emergency landing on Jupiter is the only choice.

As you make the approach, you remember that Jupiter is a gas giant with no significant land to speak of. You yell to the pilot to turn back, but it's too late. You are trapped in the planet's gravity well and are unable to escape. The Great Red Spot picks you up and spins you around at break-neck speeds. You are stuck in this awesome storm for all eternity. The ride never ends.

This isn't such a bad turn of events, though. solamander, being too old to be any use to society, would have been turned into dog food shortly after checking into the Retirement Colony.

Response to Fear of planets 2014-10-13 20:03:42

Well, ain't that quite the weird phobia?

Response to Fear of planets 2014-10-13 20:21:53

At 10/13/14 08:03 PM, NGPulp wrote: Well, ain't that quite the weird phobia?

Yer' darn tootin'!

Response to Fear of planets 2014-10-13 20:23:14

At 10/13/14 07:42 PM, solamander wrote: Let me be more specific, I have a phobia of space alltogether, stars, galaxies, black holes, asteroids, meteors, moons, you name it.

Space is big, and it could fuck you up. The bottom line is that if it's going to, there's not much you can do about it so there's no point in worrying.

BBS Signature

Response to Fear of planets 2014-10-13 20:28:18

At 10/13/14 07:42 PM, solamander wrote:

I get it entirely. Sometimes when I look at the night sky I'm struck by the vastness and start to worry gravity will stop and I'll float into it.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to Fear of planets 2014-10-13 20:41:00

At 10/13/14 08:34 PM, WahyaRanger wrote:
At 10/13/14 08:28 PM, stafffighter wrote: I get it entirely. Sometimes when I look at the night sky I'm struck by the vastness and start to worry gravity will stop and I'll float into it.
Hahaha like when you're a kid and you walk into a rec center or something with a really tall ceiling and you start cringing because you begin to imagine falling upwards and splattering all over the ceiling...

Yeah... to be young again.

What? I don't think I've ever experienced that in my life, maybe it's just because I've never been in a rec center

Response to Fear of planets 2014-10-13 20:45:08

It's a legitimate fear. The crime rate among planets is insane, and I hear that they're plotting to make you have "an accident" right this second.

Your only choice is a preemptive strike. Nuke space.

Response to Fear of planets 2014-10-13 20:46:59

At 10/13/14 08:45 PM, Lintire wrote: It's a legitimate fear. The crime rate among planets is insane, and I hear that they're plotting to make you have "an accident" right this second.

Your only choice is a preemptive strike. Nuke space.

Bring this to your local congressman immediately.

Response to Fear of planets 2014-10-13 21:04:09

I've never actually thought about this before, but a fear of space actually seems pretty reasonable. I mean, there's a large chance that there is dangerous life out there, there are massive vacuums that even light can't escape from, there are colossal balls of fire that will eventually explode, there are big rocks flying around that could cause quite a bit of damage, and more. I'm actually a bit more scared of space now than I was before. Well done, OP, you gave me your disease. Wish I had known it was transmissible.

"Codswallop in my opinion." - Hagrid

"I trust no one but my ham sandwich." - SNAPCRACKLEANDPOP2

Never say no to Panda.

Response to Fear of planets 2014-10-13 21:16:59

At 10/13/14 09:04 PM, SNAPCRACKLEANDPOP2 wrote: I've never actually thought about this before, but a fear of space actually seems pretty reasonable.

I wonder if it's an STD aswell, I think you're going to have to make some phonecalls.

Response to Fear of planets 2014-10-13 21:22:41

Huh.I thought I was the only one who was afraid of Jupiter's red spot.

I don't know why, but it just creeps me out.Maybe it's a phobia, or that I'm just paranoid.I get paranoid when I see things that are red or black(no offense,seriously). :C

BBS Signature

Response to Fear of planets 2014-10-13 22:34:54

To be fair, all that stuff can kill you, quite easily in fact. Hell, Jupiter could kill or devour entire lesser planets if they got too close. The sun indeed could kill you. And so forth.

But here's the thing. They're so far away and there's no indication to suggest you'd ever come anywhere near them. And if there were some cosmic catastrophy whereby all the planets or the sun got too close together and crashed into one another, everyone'd be dead anyway.

Side note: Why does my spell check not like "catastrophy" yet is perfectly fine with "catastrophic" ?

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Fear of planets 2014-10-13 22:45:19

At 10/13/14 10:34 PM, NeonSpider wrote: To be fair, all that stuff can kill you, quite easily in fact. Hell, Jupiter could kill or devour entire lesser planets if they got too close. The sun indeed could kill you. And so forth.

But here's the thing. They're so far away and there's no indication to suggest you'd ever come anywhere near them. And if there were some cosmic catastrophy whereby all the planets or the sun got too close together and crashed into one another, everyone'd be dead anyway.

Side note: Why does my spell check not like "catastrophy" yet is perfectly fine with "catastrophic" ?

It's sort of disturbing how perfectly shaped they all are, especially on that scale. It's terrifyling beautiful to look at, I mean imagine being in infinite darkness in all directions then Jupiter just comes out of nowhere and is coming at you at a million miles per second. I'd have a heart attack before it even got to me just because of the sheer size of the object coming towards me, maybe it's a fear of heights mixed with some other phobia.

Response to Fear of planets 2014-10-13 22:53:56

At 10/13/14 10:45 PM, solamander wrote: It's sort of disturbing how perfectly shaped they all are, especially on that scale. It's terrifyling beautiful to look at, I mean imagine being in infinite darkness in all directions then Jupiter just comes out of nowhere and is coming at you at a million miles per second. I'd have a heart attack before it even got to me just because of the sheer size of the object coming towards me, maybe it's a fear of heights mixed with some other phobia.

No, I mean if Jupiter was coming at you or you were being drawn to Jupiter it would indeed kill you. Jupiter could easily kill lesser planets and you're not but a speck of a speck in comparison. The danger is there and the danger is real.

But what are the chances such an interaction would ever take place? It's like being scared of dinosaurs. Yes, they were massive. Yes they could kill things much bigger and stronger than you. But they've been extinct for ages so they're not a threat. Well, Jupiter and other planets are so far away and there's no real indication they'll just decide to come crashing into Earth any time soon. So unless you want to volunteer to be an astronaut in whatever future time humans decide to go exploring out there, if even in our lifetimes, you'd never come in contact with it anyway.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Fear of planets 2014-10-13 23:05:07

You mean you aren't scared of the fact that it's a giant ball of gas? If you even tried to land on that planet, you can't possibly do it, because there's no damn surface.

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature

Response to Fear of planets 2014-10-13 23:23:38

Planets are not scary. You are on a planet now.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Fear of planets 2014-10-13 23:31:47

At 10/13/14 11:05 PM, Boomstick wrote: You mean you aren't scared of the fact that it's a giant ball of gas? If you even tried to land on that planet, you can't possibly do it, because there's no damn surface.

That's probably what scares most people with my "condition" about Jupiter. I mean imagine plunging into that thing and it just gets progressively darker, and denser. Sort of a learning experience though.. I guess.

Response to Fear of planets 2014-10-14 00:21:34

At 10/13/14 10:55 PM, Shauna wrote: I'd hate for you to read this...

http://www.futuretimeline.net/beyond-1000000.htm

Was having fun reading that until I came by this.

*shivers*

Fear of planets

Response to Fear of planets 2014-10-14 02:52:55

At 10/13/14 07:05 PM, solamander wrote: I have an irrational fear of planets, specifically Gas Giants like Jupiter and Saturn, but more Jupiter then Saturn. Jupiters Red Spot scares the living shit out of me, the fact that it's the size of two Earths makes me freeze up in my chair whenever I look at it, and then I start to get sweaty then try to take the picture off the screen as fast as possible.

Gravity, mass and landscape are all just perceptions. Deadly? Hells yeah, that's why I don't have a summer home on Jupiter or even..., "ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS EXCEPT EUROPA ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE USE THEM TOGETHER USE THEM IN PEACE." (2010, Arthur C Clarke)

I do have a fear of human folly and mismanagement. With atomic power, we can move mountains (or meteors), but would prefer to blow them up, and worry about the after effects later.

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Fear of planets 2014-10-14 06:41:40

lol

Keep me in mind for voice acting roles, low poly 3d art etc :)

BBS Signature

Response to Fear of planets 2014-10-26 02:42:25

At 10/13/14 07:50 PM, FinaLee wrote:
If I may pull a bit of a GameChanger, This video does a great job putting the size of our planets into perspective.

I can't help but think that I'm starting to become a bit of an internet meme. Should I be worried or proud?

I like the video that you've used. However, the following "games" does a better job of putting not just the planets, but evrything into perspective:

The Scale of the Universe
Scale of the Universe 2

Response to Fear of planets 2014-10-26 10:07:19

At 10/13/14 07:05 PM, solamander wrote: I have an irrational fear of planets, specifically Gas Giants like Jupiter and Saturn, but more Jupiter then Saturn. Jupiters Red Spot scares the living shit out of me, the fact that it's the size of two Earths makes me freeze up in my chair whenever I look at it, and then I start to get sweaty then try to take the picture off the screen as fast as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAq76TX4iLw I can't watch something like this without having an all out panic attack, can anyone relate?

I think you just have anxiety over how small we are compared to the rest of the universe. And it wouldn't take much to wipe us out. Heh, that is pretty scary.