00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GodsPurpose just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ad revenue tax rules stuff

458 Views | 2 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Ad revenue tax rules stuff 2014-10-02 11:51:09

This is probably gonna sound rather dumb, or something, but I really need help with this, so here goes.

According to my ad revenue page, and this page of the wiki, because I'm from the UK and not a US national, I need to submit a W-8BEN form with an EIN number issued by the IRS, otherwise I won't get anymore ad revenue from Newgrounds (and I would quite like to keep getting ad revenue). I tried to apply for an EIN using the link on the wiki page, but ran into two separate problems:

1. I have no idea "what type of legal structure" I would count as. I proceeded under the assumption that I am a "Sole Proprietor", but then-
2. It asked me for a Social Security Number or some other number I can't remember the name of. I don't have one, because I'm not a US citizen, which is why I have to apply for an EIN in the first place?

I don't think I've ever dealt with tax stuff before, and this is confusing me, so...little help, please?

Life is just a series of relative disappointments

But I will be waiting, and my mission is to help you

~Curve, "Mission From God"

Response to Ad revenue tax rules stuff 2014-10-02 12:40:04

You can submit a W-8BEN without an EIN but we'll have to withhold 30% for the IRS because the ad revenue is being treated as "US-sourced royalties." It looks like the phone number in the wiki is the best way to obtain one - a lot of people have done that so far and were able to obtain one over the phone.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Ad revenue tax rules stuff 2014-10-02 16:53:14

At 10/2/14 12:40 PM, TomFulp wrote: You can submit a W-8BEN without an EIN but we'll have to withhold 30% for the IRS because the ad revenue is being treated as "US-sourced royalties."

Yeah, it said that on the wiki. I'd rather receive the full amount, and not have to give 30% to the IRS, hence me trying to get the EIN.

At 10/2/14 12:40 PM, TomFulp wrote: It looks like the phone number in the wiki is the best way to obtain one - a lot of people have done that so far and were able to obtain one over the phone.

Okay, thanks! It's late where I am now, and I have other things to do, but I'll phone them up tomorrow and see where that gets me. Thanks again!

Life is just a series of relative disappointments

But I will be waiting, and my mission is to help you

~Curve, "Mission From God"