00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Battlefield animations. 1st attempt

366 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hi, I'm new to these forums and New Grounds in general, but I recently decided to take the plunge and share my stuff no matter how novice it is since I'm brand new to animating and learned almost everything I know from this site.

Can't hurt right? And I'm pretty sure any feedback I get no matter how negative will help me improve as I'm fairly addicted to Flash at the moment and want to keep trying.

I'm posting my first 2 videos below. The concept won't really make any sense to anyone who doesn't play Battlefield the game, but keep in mind that this is all just practice for getting better with future videos. I didn't care so much about the storyline as I just wanted something simple and easy to work on.

Fun With VOIP is a small series I decided to start where I use unscripted audio from Teamspeak while playing different video games with friends. I censored out all the bad language, but be prepared for rage and nonsense as my friend has anger issues.

Response to Battlefield animations. 1st attempt 2014-10-01 22:29:55

Nice dude. You're right you got to start somewhere :) Normally it's kind frowned upon to post your work in the forums as it just feels like people fishing for views but you're just starting so it's ok. Yeah I can see how if you didn't play BF that you would be lost about everything going on. I've played all those games so I found them enjoyable haha

I suggest taking your time on improving the quality of the art. Practice shading details for the backgrounds. You can keep that style - like how your characters look - if you really want to but adding some small detail with shading will really help them pop :)

Also - I thought you did terrific with the lip synching. Not only did it match up but I really liked how you animated their mouths. It was very fun and lively.

Keep practicing dude! We all got to start at the bottom and learn from experience. Looking forward to seeing what you create in the future.

Response to Battlefield animations. 1st attempt 2014-10-02 10:48:06

At 10/1/14 10:29 PM, Hero101 wrote: Nice dude. You're right you got to start somewhere :) Normally it's kind frowned upon to post your work in the forums as it just feels like people fishing for views but you're just starting so it's ok. Yeah I can see how if you didn't play BF that you would be lost about everything going on. I've played all those games so I found them enjoyable haha

I suggest taking your time on improving the quality of the art. Practice shading details for the backgrounds. You can keep that style - like how your characters look - if you really want to but adding some small detail with shading will really help them pop :)

Also - I thought you did terrific with the lip synching. Not only did it match up but I really liked how you animated their mouths. It was very fun and lively.

Keep practicing dude! We all got to start at the bottom and learn from experience. Looking forward to seeing what you create in the future.

I didn't know it was discouraged to share your work on the forums :3 I'll remember that, but as you mentioned I'm not fishing for views. I'll be years before I have anything I'm proud enough of to want to share.

I'm terrible at shading so far, I really am brand new to this as in maybe a few weeks of goofing around with it in total and no real education other than Jazza (whose videos got me interested in even trying in the first place).

I thought the best place to start would be working on movements, lip syncing and other basics, and to end with learning to actually shade properly and work on better character designs. Now that you mention it though, I can see how a little shading and more fine background detail is making my current stuff look nicer, so thanks for the tip.

Response to Battlefield animations. 1st attempt 2014-10-02 15:58:58

At 10/2/14 10:48 AM, BadlyBurned wrote: I didn't know it was discouraged to share your work on the forums :3 I'll remember that, but as you mentioned I'm not fishing for views. I'll be years before I have anything I'm proud enough of to want to share.

No worries dude I wasn't accusing you :) I think it will be a lot sooner than years for you to produce something you are proud of if you keep practicing.

I'm terrible at shading so far, I really am brand new to this as in maybe a few weeks of goofing around with it in total and no real education other than Jazza (whose videos got me interested in even trying in the first place).

Dude I'm horrible at shading too. I have used shading in any of my projects yet but I plan on it. Took me years to figure out how to shade properly. Dude I've been on Newgrounds since like 2004 and have been following Jazza this whole time. He is a perfect example to learn from :)

Response to Battlefield animations. 1st attempt 2014-10-02 18:58:57

At 10/2/14 03:58 PM, Hero101 wrote:
At 10/2/14 10:48 AM, BadlyBurned wrote: I didn't know it was discouraged to share your work on the forums :3 I'll remember that, but as you mentioned I'm not fishing for views. I'll be years before I have anything I'm proud enough of to want to share.
No worries dude I wasn't accusing you :) I think it will be a lot sooner than years for you to produce something you are proud of if you keep practicing.

Dude I'm horrible at shading too. I have used shading in any of my projects yet but I plan on it. Took me years to figure out how to shade properly. Dude I've been on Newgrounds since like 2004 and have been following Jazza this whole time. He is a perfect example to learn from :)

If you can think of some others on here I could learn from, I'm all ears. I have a 3 hour bus trip to work everyday so I spend a lot of time on my MacBook watching tutorials and pretending that one day I could so something so nice :3 lol

I like how this site has challenges and community projects. I hope to one day donate a sheep and maybe even work on that halloween contest they announced today. Obviously no expectations to win, but it sounds like fuuuunnnn! :D

Response to Battlefield animations. 1st attempt 2014-10-02 21:04:58

At 10/2/14 06:58 PM, BadlyBurned wrote:
At 10/2/14 03:58 PM, Hero101 wrote:
At 10/2/14 10:48 AM, BadlyBurned wrote:
If you can think of some others on here I could learn from, I'm all ears. I have a 3 hour bus trip to work everyday so I spend a lot of time on my MacBook watching tutorials and pretending that one day I could so something so nice :3 lol

Don't worry man the art assets I made for my 2 games is pretty flat and boring haha So I too will be looking up tutorials on shading and other techniques for my next game to try and produce better art. If I come across some really helpful ones I'll send you a PM with links to them :)

I like how this site has challenges and community projects. I hope to one day donate a sheep and maybe even work on that halloween contest they announced today. Obviously no expectations to win, but it sounds like fuuuunnnn! :D

I know I really want to participate in Newgrounds Halloween Spooktacular. I know with my current skills as a programmer I don't have a shot in hell at winning anything with whatever game I would make but it would be fun to join in with the community by making something for the event :) You should try to do something as well since you'll have all of October to submit something. Just remember to tag it with halloween2014 so it's recognized as part of the event. Just make something really small and simple :) That's what I'm trying to do at least. However, every time I come up with a simple game idea it ends up growing into something larger that would make it impossible for me to complete before the even is over haha