00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Your First Year At Newgrounds

1,984 Views | 42 Replies

Let's be honest here: just how well did your first year at Newgrounds went? How eventful was it for you?

Was it a rough year for you or was it smooth sailing?

Were you immediately well-liked when you signed up for Newgrounds or did you have to build up your reputation in order to become more likable?

Did the following years get even better for you or did they get even worse?

Response to Your First Year At Newgrounds 2014-09-29 16:56:17

I didn't shitpost constantly. As a result, nobody had a problem with me. I passed under the radar for a long time with no real enemies to speak of. So, yes, I suppose I would consider my first year(s) on Newgrounds to be smooth sailing.

Response to Your First Year At Newgrounds 2014-09-29 16:57:39

Despite joining in the summer of 2006, I didn't even use the forums until January of 2007, which was several months after I joined and I got my 14 year old ass handed to me by the regs and mods back then for being stupid. You guys have it so easy now.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Your First Year At Newgrounds 2014-09-29 16:59:57

I really liked it because I didn't have to censor myself here like I did on CheatsGuru. The filter there was crazy. You couldn't even say stupid and gay there without the filter putting asterisks over it.

BBS Signature

Response to Your First Year At Newgrounds 2014-09-29 17:00:48

good I guess. I don't think I pissed off people as much as i thought so that's a plus

BBS Signature

Response to Your First Year At Newgrounds 2014-09-29 17:05:10

this is my first year

Solwings formerly dalexj1337 - Being a sped online since 2014

BBS Signature

Response to Your First Year At Newgrounds 2014-09-29 17:13:14

my first year (for my account) was last year but I have only been using the forums this year but I was playing games on newgrounds since 2011 anyways my time on newgrounds has had its fair share of flamewars and such *smiles as the song '' memories '' begins playing*

Response to Your First Year At Newgrounds 2014-09-29 17:17:40

well the first year i discovered the site, nothing much happened, i just watched movies and play games, when I finally made an account back in 2008 I attempted a few flash animations, some were blamed, some I deleted cause I thought they were shit, not to mention I acted (still do but less of) a jerk on the bbs, being an arsehole 13 year old or whatever, especially when it came to animation collab forums, heck I tried to get into the sonic shorts collab with this little gem and got kinda upset that they didnt accept it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbHVYmp-0xA&list=UUp-WCl0cf28i5WJDLZLlnGw

So yeah, I don't look back fondly at my first year of newgrounds, though it does make me with time machines existed so i can punch the younger me in the face for being a wee prick, but hey ho, kids do dumb things, oh and btw, i made a sequel years later to my magnum opus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaBziYsvpMY&list=UUp-WCl0cf28i5WJDLZLlnGw

BBS Signature

Response to Your First Year At Newgrounds 2014-09-29 17:36:35

I never posted in the BBS for the first four and a half years. The only thing I did was play games and upload a cover of a Legend of Zelda tune, which I found out the other day was featured in a flash called Four Swords Misadventures.

BBS Signature

Response to Your First Year At Newgrounds 2014-09-29 17:47:26

Too many damn questions for my limited brain to handle, so I'm gonna go back to the dark and lonely corner of the BBS and think about my life in peace and quiet.

"Codswallop in my opinion." - Hagrid

"I trust no one but my ham sandwich." - SNAPCRACKLEANDPOP2

Never say no to Panda.

Response to Your First Year At Newgrounds 2014-09-29 18:03:55

I didn't use the forums for quite a while. I think the first half of my first year at Newgrounds was aspiring to get a Flash past judgment, lol.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Your First Year At Newgrounds 2014-09-29 18:06:44

I posted like a retard asking retarded questions and mostly talked like a true child.

Good times.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to Your First Year At Newgrounds 2014-09-29 18:12:29

I guess it went ok, I just did ms paint photoshop threads and too many mega man threads, other than that, I did ok. I don't know how people felt about me back then, hell I don't even know how you guys feel about me now. Overall, it was mostly positive for me.

Response to Your First Year At Newgrounds 2014-09-29 18:13:42

At 9/29/14 04:57 PM, ZJ wrote: after I joined and I got my 14 year old ass handed to me by the regs and mods back then for being stupid. You guys have it so easy now.

I'm pretty sure we all get our asses handed to us when we first try the bbs.

BBS Signature

Response to Your First Year At Newgrounds 2014-09-29 19:07:55

2007 was the best year I've ever had on the internet. I was called a noob many times on the BBS - '07 user was more common though. They did like to insult me. Still, I didn't mind because I had friends. I was great friends with saltshakerclock (now saltovergray), superblast, the-ice-cube-clock (now Robclock), smicothegreat and many others. We talked to each other every day. We had amazing times together.

Unfortunately the friendship collapsed in early 2008. Me and saltshakerclock had a bit of a falling out and it completely collapsed when I forgot about his birthday. Over time, superblast and smico died, robclock made it big with the clock crew and salt is doing the same things with life as I am - just with less BBS. The only guy I still make regular contact with from back then is chris the stick (more commonly known as BB10clock) who gives me motivation sometimes.

Still that sense of community was amazing. I would only find out why I loved it in 2012 when I had a small community agian in 2006scape. Friends really made my time and for that I am loyal to newgrounds.

To be honest I feel like Garry King from the movie "the world's end" now. Back then I knew in my heart that life would never feel that good again - and you know what? It never did.

???-2004?=dark ages, 2005?=atomic betty era, 2006=red dwarf era, 2007-2009=newgrounds era, 2009-2014= anime era,

What have I done with my life?

BBS Signature

Response to Your First Year At Newgrounds 2014-09-29 21:07:46

At 9/29/14 04:42 PM, TheGamechanger wrote: Was it a rough year for you or was it smooth sailing?

Smooth since I was completely under the radar and talked to only a few people.

Were you immediately well-liked when you signed up for Newgrounds or did you have to build up your reputation in order to become more likable?

Pfff what reputation?

They stayed the same.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Your First Year At Newgrounds 2014-09-29 21:25:16

At 9/29/14 06:08 PM, X-Gary-Gigax-X wrote: Everyone was so mean to me. They'd throw my lunch pail in the trash, call me fat ass, then they'd make me eat goldfsh crackers that were on the floor.

You lucky bastard. I'd love to eat the goldfish crackers off the floor, but instead I have to eat all the plastic bagees.
Damn, I love goldfish.
Damn, I'm hungry.

Damn, I'm jealous.

"Codswallop in my opinion." - Hagrid

"I trust no one but my ham sandwich." - SNAPCRACKLEANDPOP2

Never say no to Panda.

Response to Your First Year At Newgrounds 2014-09-29 21:25:34

Oh mama it was great. You should've been around in the '06-'08 era. So much activity and in-jokes back then.

Response to Your First Year At Newgrounds 2014-09-29 21:39:18

It was pretty cool, I was excited every time I logged in and voted on new games/found old gems. Didn't really start using the forums or anything like that.

Those who do not learn from the mistakes of their past are doomed to repeat them.

Response to Your First Year At Newgrounds 2014-09-29 22:17:09

My first year on NG was filled with videogame parodies and sprite animations. I didn't have an account until a year or two after I discovered the site.

Happily ETS'd.

BBS Signature

Response to Your First Year At Newgrounds 2014-09-29 22:22:16

At 9/29/14 10:17 PM, TailsPrower wrote: My first year on NG was filled with videogame parodies and sprite animations. I didn't have an account until a year or two after I discovered the site.

Same here, I discovered Newgrounds in 2004 or 2005 and used it primarily to play flash games. It wasn't until a couple years later that I discovered the BBS and made an account.

God I was a shit user my first couple years when I did make my account...

"Plz don't call NASA on me I'm afraid of astronauts dude" - DJ-Ri (2015)

BBS Signature

Response to Your First Year At Newgrounds 2014-09-29 22:29:40

My first year was embarrassing to say the least. But I doubt I was worse than any other new user. I made quite a lot of enemies back then but they're all irrelevant now.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Your First Year At Newgrounds 2014-09-29 22:37:30

At 9/29/14 04:42 PM, TheGamechanger wrote: Let's be honest here: just how well did your first year at Newgrounds went? How eventful was it for you?

I'm not really sure.

Was it a rough year for you or was it smooth sailing?

It just went. I didn't feel the 'roughness'.

Neither.

Better, I suppose.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Oh jesus christ. My first year was laughable at best. I was in high school, and my posting habits were in the toilet when I first joined. I crashed Photoshop threads with irrelevant content, picture spammed, and was a general fucktard for about a month before I figured out that being a dick stops being funny after a certain point. It didn't stop me from shitting up the infamous "So Sandy" thread, though.

My first year on NG was a load of fun, shitposting aside. I joined my first ever chat room when someone submitted a flash chat to the portal, and from that, I made some friends on the site. I haven't heard from them in years... I wonder how they're doing. Still, it makes me laugh when I look back at the posts I made on NG back in 2006-2007. I have a lot of nostalgia for those days.

Response to Your First Year At Newgrounds 2014-09-29 23:03:48

It's been pretty good so far.

"Now I'm a private eye-cum-negotiator..."

BBS Signature

Response to Your First Year At Newgrounds 2014-09-30 00:35:37

I thought this was awesome I met tons of friends who I miss and got to chat and it was fun but now it got more boring....I still see what's to be done.

Peel back the bark for a hidden message.

BBS Signature

Response to Your First Year At Newgrounds 2014-09-30 00:48:04

At 9/29/14 06:13 PM, larrynachos wrote:
At 9/29/14 04:57 PM, ZJ wrote: after I joined and I got my 14 year old ass handed to me by the regs and mods back then for being stupid. You guys have it so easy now.
I'm pretty sure we all get our asses handed to us when we first try the bbs.

Ahh, and who knows it better than me?

till we overdose

Response to Your First Year At Newgrounds 2014-09-30 00:51:32

At 9/29/14 04:42 PM, TheGamechanger wrote: Was it a rough year for you or was it smooth sailing?

I probably thought I was really funny so yeah

I don't think I've ever been likable

I don't know I don't go on here that much but I mean when I do I go hard as fuck so

BBS Signature

Response to Your First Year At Newgrounds 2014-09-30 00:55:06

At 9/30/14 12:51 AM, Chocomilk wrote:

Bruh, your old sig was way better. The fok happened to it?

STEAM

"What I would and wouldn't do with your tight twink body is none of their business. But seriously, I would fucking destroy you." - Xenomit

BBS Signature

Response to Your First Year At Newgrounds 2014-09-30 01:00:26

At 9/30/14 12:55 AM, koopahermit wrote:
At 9/30/14 12:51 AM, Chocomilk wrote:
Bruh, your old sig was way better. The fok happened to it?

Tossed that shit out

I got bored of it, but I'm getting bored of this one. So I'll probably switch it back soon and if I keep getting bored I'll just interchange them like some asshole.

BBS Signature