00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

any adults to guide a teen?

1,809 Views | 34 Replies

Response to any adults to guide a teen? 2014-10-05 22:44:23

At 9/29/14 10:51 PM, yurgenburgen wrote:
You go to any bank and get a credit card application form.
You fill it in and send it off.
They will contact you to tell you if your application was successful.

When you have a credit card, you use it to pay for items when you are shopping.
At the end of the month you receive a bill, which lists everything you've spent over the last month.
You can take the bill to your bank and pay it off either with cash or by paying it out of your bank account.
Or, you will be able to set up online banking and pay it off by logging into your chequing account.

The first credit card you are likely to have will have a low credit limit, something like $500. This means that you can spend up to $500 at a time. If you spend this amount on your card, you will have to pay it off before you can continue to use your credit card.
The more money you spend on credit cards, the higher your credit rating goes. The bank later will offer you credit cards with higher credit limits, and also credit cards which offer bonuses such as airmiles and deals on travel insurance, etc.

To pay off bills you can usually take them to your bank and pay them either with cash or debit, or you can use your credit card.

Basically when you pay for something with a credit card, you are getting the bank to pay for it, and then you pay the bank later. It is better than carrying heaps of cash around with you.

2: how can i manage all this rent/bills/food and stuff yet still have some money or time to myself?
Get a job.
Don't spend money that you don't have.
Live cheaply for the first couple of months to figure out how much you're making versus how much you're spending on essentials.
Write down your expenses, weigh them against your income.

Whether you have a great deal of time/money to yourself after paying off bills etc depends on how much you're making and how much you're spending.

well thanks! now I at least know a little more about credit cards, bills, and how banks work! I am worried about where I should be expecting the bills. like would they appear in my mail? how much time do I have to pay them off? and how can I pay them off? "not bank ones. you already explained that. I mean electricity, water, etc." im just a complete noob about these things xD I apologize

I don't fuckin know, you tell me

BBS Signature

Response to any adults to guide a teen? 2014-10-05 22:48:52

At 9/30/14 07:20 AM, Bit wrote: When you're picking out a college, try to find a small, local school. It needs to be nationally accredited which means that the credits you earn are recognized in every state. Don't be swindled into going to a large, expensive school for your first few years.You will just be paying more for the same general education (English, Math, etc.) courses which probably have nothing to do with your major.

It's also a good way to get your foot in the proverbial door: standardized test requirements for these schools tend to be very low. Tuition is also low enough that, even if you only get a few good scholarships (or financial aid), you will be paid to go there for a few years. That means free gas money to bring you from school and work. If you go out-of-state, you'll have to pay out-of-state tuition which is usually higher by a factor of four. Yes, really.

Speaking of work, it will probably be easier to find a job if you arrange your classes so they're all on the same days. This leaves you with more full days to work. I've never trusted a counselor to do this (because they're already nearly screwed a few of my friends by giving them incorrect information) so I always sign up for my classes online.

Finding a job is much easier if you know how to make yourself look like the best candidate. Pick a job which is at least vaguely related to your interests, build a resume which shows off all of your skills (especially the ones related to the job you want), and then show up to the interview wearing AT LEAST dress shirt, dress pants, dress shoes, tie, black socks, and belt.

Then you'll need to impress them by talking about your previous experience (even hobby and volunteer stuff related to the job). Be personable, but respectful. Smile and be confident. If all went well, they'll hire you. Sometimes right there on the spot (it's happened to me twice). Make sure you have your social security card, drivers' license, etc. with you because you'll need to fill out a lot of forms.

im not sure il be able to learn all about those school stuff while stressing out to pay the bills of rent and so on. so I think il just focus on the job/paying and stabling myself before I jump into anything too big here.

and the forms sound like an issue. as I said earlier, im still a teen just preparing for the shiety life ahead of me. I don't know whats a social security card. how do I get one. and things just alike to that

BBS Signature

Response to any adults to guide a teen? 2014-10-05 22:52:02

At 9/30/14 11:00 PM, thegarbear14 wrote:
get a job, if it pays poorly try and get a lot of hours. It might sound odd but my friend does like this nursing home thing for mentally disabled people and he gets $10/hr and a lot of hours. Every 2 weeks he gets a check for like $2.5k. He only had to go to an 8 day training course and they paid for his gas. As long as you have a clean record and license you could
they paid for his gas? what kind of job.... wow really? well this sounds pretty useful information thanks
well i mean they paid for his gas to get back and forth to the training. They gave him like $40 a day, look into similar programs in your area. They require typically a hs diploma and no criminal record. This job can be dangerous as the people in the house can be like a 30 year old 230lb male schizophrenic though... but i doubt you'd be stuck looking after people like that.

lol well that's good to know! but I have a problem... you see, ive been homeschooled for nearly a decade now. I don't think I have grades, or any diplomas of any sort... will that effect my chances of filling out resumes and getting a job?

BBS Signature

Response to any adults to guide a teen? 2014-10-05 23:16:51

At 10/5/14 10:49 PM, yurgenburgen wrote:
when you get the bill there will be instructions on how to receive the bills by email if you prefer

okay il be waiting for them instructions in the future, and yell out your username if I don't see em xD

how much time do I have to pay them off?
varies. in my experience it's between 10 days and a month. depends on what the bill is for

so i have about 10 days or a month before they shut down my electricity, well that's good!

electricity, water, etc. bills can be paid at your bank. Just take the bill with you to your bank and say you want to pay it off.
nowadays once you have paid any bill at your bank you can log into your bank accounts online and pay them off through the internet.

well the bank seems useful! so the steps are 1 do it manually and crab walk your way to the bank. and 2 once your pro with flipping internet and all you can pretty much ease at home sipping tea watching the other crabmen crawl to the bank

BBS Signature

Response to any adults to guide a teen? 2014-10-05 23:54:15

*guides you to my dick*