00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kiler91 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Saturday Morning Cartoons Are Gone.

3,321 Views | 50 Replies

CW Vortexx......the last of the blocks that happened on saturday morning Cancelled for Informercial and educational crap.

no kid will see the light of day when this becomes history....you will be missed.

Saturday Morning cartoons R.I.P. :(

BBS Signature

Response to Saturday Morning Cartoons Are Gone. 2014-09-28 01:34:19

TBF, Saturday morning cartoons were only introduced way back when when there were only three channels with nothing on most of the time. Since then cartoons have littered all four corners of the media, with even a few that fall under the adult subcategory.

If you ask me, Saturday morning cartoons became obsolete 20+ years ago.

Response to Saturday Morning Cartoons Are Gone. 2014-09-28 02:15:49

At 9/28/14 01:34 AM, BandagedWolf wrote: TBF, Saturday morning cartoons were only introduced way back when when there were only three channels with nothing on most of the time. Since then cartoons have littered all four corners of the media, with even a few that fall under the adult subcategory.

20+ Years Ago? That's pretty big, I remember Saturday Morning Cartoons on all the way through 2006. They started to die off around 2007 though.

Response to Saturday Morning Cartoons Are Gone. 2014-09-28 02:34:31

They still have saturday morning cartoons on most public broadcast channels.

Besides, Cartoon Network shows cartoons 24 hours a freakin day. I remember getting cable as a kid and shitting my pants because I didn't have to wait a week to see the same episode of Animaniacs I saw the week before.

Response to Saturday Morning Cartoons Are Gone. 2014-09-28 04:17:27

I didn't get to watch Saturday morning cartoons in the '90s because I would always sleep in.

But weekday afternoon shows were the bomb.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Saturday Morning Cartoons Are Gone. 2014-09-28 04:30:44

At 9/28/14 04:17 AM, Painbringer wrote: I didn't get to watch Saturday morning cartoons in the '90s because I would always sleep in.

But weekday afternoon shows were the bomb.

kinda think of it i miss that as well. Mon-Fri you had to choose Between Disney's 1 Too On UPN, Kids WB or Fox Kids.

it all got taken over by talk shows and Court Shows now. :(

BBS Signature

Response to Saturday Morning Cartoons Are Gone. 2014-09-28 04:41:52

Saturday morning cartoons wasnt really a big thing as I grew up on sky TV and that I watched cartoons tv networks such as cartoon network,nickelodeon or occasionally sky 1 whenever the Simpsons or re runs of batman tas was on (although maybe batman would count as a Saturday morning cartoon as it only aired in the morning but who knows)

BBS Signature

Response to Saturday Morning Cartoons Are Gone. 2014-09-28 06:13:26

They're not much of a loss considering we have 24 hours a day, 7 days a week cartoon dedicated channels, such as the aforementioned Cartoon Network.

It's more like a loss for your nostalgia, rather than a tragic loss for everyone.

Just because they've stopped airing during Saturday mornings, doesn't mean they've stopped existing all together. Cartoons will never go that easily-- there are just too many mediums to put it on; internet, TV, paper, big-screen, etc.

Response to Saturday Morning Cartoons Are Gone. 2014-09-28 06:31:56

kids can watch cartoons on demand now, save those timeslots for informercials

Response to Saturday Morning Cartoons Are Gone. 2014-09-28 09:54:26

Today's kids will never get to experience how it was in the 80's and early 90's. Solid cartoons (aside from local substitutions) on all 3 (later 4) networks from 8 til' noon. It'll all be educational shit now (something kids shouldn't have to worry about on Saturdays).

That's right I like guns and ponies. NO NEW GUN CONTROL.

Politically correct is anything that leftists believe.Politically incorrect is anything common sense.

BBS Signature

Response to Saturday Morning Cartoons Are Gone. 2014-09-28 10:30:44

In this day and age, Saturday morning cartoons were essentially a thing of the past that was barely kept alive by the few folks who don't have cable/satellite and Internet connectivity. Not to mention that Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon and other cartoon/family based channels slowly killed the Saturday Morning cartoon show, especially in the early to mid 2000's when many of those Sat AM shows can either be aired on those networks to begin with, are re-tooled for an older audience, or have DVD sets available so they don't have to wait until a certain time period to watch the show.

It's really sad to see that Sat AM cartoons going away, but it was pretty much inevitable at this point when CN, Nickelodeon and Disney Channel were formed, the only real surprise is how long it lasted in spite of all that.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Saturday Morning Cartoons Are Gone. 2014-09-28 10:45:55

At 9/28/14 01:34 AM, BandagedWolf wrote:

More like 8 years ago.

I got Tom to make a sig, bow down to me.

BBS Signature

Response to Saturday Morning Cartoons Are Gone. 2014-09-28 10:54:57

We still have My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic on Saturday mornings! Come on, everybody, I'm not complaining! Pity "Adventure Time" isn't on Saturday mornings. Oh, and they've had "Pokémon", but I think that's changed now.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to Saturday Morning Cartoons Are Gone. 2014-09-28 11:41:50

Cartoon Network has a terrible Saturday lineup. After Pokemon it's just the same five shows back to back. And at 6:00 they'll show one of four movies: Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Open Season, Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs, or Planet 51.

I haven't watched Nick in ages but I can only assume their lineup is nothing but Spongebob and whatever live action kid friendly fetish fuel Dan Schneider is pushing this year.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Saturday Morning Cartoons Are Gone. 2014-09-28 12:24:27

it is kinda sad, but here's the thing, "saturday morning cartoon" has been redundant since the widespread proliferation of tv on demand services like bbc iplayer, 4 on demand, itv player, netflix, hulu etc. like, it's possible to watch whatever you want whenever you want these days
so if you feel like watching a cartoon on a saturday morning? you can, but also, if you want to watch a prime time drama on a saturday morning? you fucking can. time has no relation to viewing habits anymore.
so while it's sad, at least it's not the end of the world.

Response to Saturday Morning Cartoons Are Gone. 2014-09-28 13:49:51

At 9/28/14 11:41 AM, Chdonga wrote: Cartoon Network has a terrible Saturday lineup. After Pokemon it's just the same five shows back to back. And at 6:00 they'll show one of four movies: Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Open Season, Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs, or Planet 51.

I haven't watched Nick in ages but I can only assume their lineup is nothing but Spongebob and whatever live action kid friendly fetish fuel Dan Schneider is pushing this year.

they will probably have something better. Nicktoons has LBX at least but on sunday mornings instead.

BBS Signature

Response to Saturday Morning Cartoons Are Gone. 2014-09-28 14:17:29

At 9/28/14 01:49 PM, RayS10 wrote: Nicktoons has LBX at least but on sunday mornings instead.

It annoyed me when Nickelodeon aired Digimon Fusion for only a few Saturdays then moved over to Nicktoons. But Nicktoons has always had the good shows whereas Nickelodeon's just become the Spongebob channel.

BBS Signature

At 9/28/14 02:26 PM, fieldertiger wrote:
At 9/28/14 11:41 AM, Chdonga wrote: Cartoon Network has a terrible Saturday lineup. After Pokemon it's just the same five shows back to back. And at 6:00 they'll show one of four movies: Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Open Season, Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs, or Planet 51.
Wow! Cartoon Network's has a boring lineup for Saturdays. Kids would probably watch Nickelodeon more than Cartoon Network.

Cartoon Network Does actually have some Decent Shows still during the weekday but on weekends not so much...until Adult Swim comes on and Toonami comes on at night which is the best they ever had.

BBS Signature

Response to Saturday Morning Cartoons Are Gone. 2014-09-28 15:39:18

At 9/28/14 02:28 PM, RayS10 wrote: Cartoon Network Does actually have some Decent Shows still during the weekday but on weekends not so much...until Adult Swim comes on and Toonami comes on at night which is the best they ever had.

I hope Toonami gets good enough ratings to come on earlier. It's really taxing to stay up past midnight just to watch one show. And it would be nice if Tenkai Knights and Pokemon came on at ~6PM instead of ~6AM.

The day Toonami gets its timeslot back on weekdays will be the best day of my life.

BBS Signature

Response to Saturday Morning Cartoons Are Gone. 2014-09-28 15:54:16

I loved Saturday morning cartoons, even into my late teens. With cable tv and the internet, kids don't know how to be kids anymore.

NG UOTD 2/4/11 | I run a Minecraft server. | Con los terroristas

BBS Signature

Response to Saturday Morning Cartoons Are Gone. 2014-09-28 15:55:07

well at least I can pirate them and save them to my hard drive i'm good.

Response to Saturday Morning Cartoons Are Gone. 2014-09-28 16:18:35

I kind of stopped watching cartoons regularly on Television in 2008.

Response to Saturday Morning Cartoons Are Gone. 2014-10-04 10:38:00

Pretty much yeah, but I have heard they show "The Legend Of Korra", probably the best show they have.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to Saturday Morning Cartoons Are Gone. 2014-10-04 10:46:29

Channel 11 stopped showing them today. There was no notice given.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Saturday Morning Cartoons Are Gone. 2014-10-04 11:22:28

The combination of 24 hour kids' programming, DVR, on demand, internet streaming/downloading and DVD/Blu-ray kinda make that outdated. But sure, I used to get up early on Saturdays for cartoons all the time. WB (Animaniacs, Earthworm Jim, Freakazoid), Fox (Beast Wars, X Men, Bobby's World), ABC (sister watched Pepper Ann), Fox Family (Monster Rancher) and I think it was USA with the shitty Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter cartoons. I think they showed X Men reruns as well. I recall Nick having a lineup I'd get up for, too. Even TNT had Looney Tunes years ago.

At 9/28/14 06:15 AM, Amaranthus wrote: I used to watch Comic Book Men every Saturday morning, but they stopped airing them over here.

That's too bad. They're coming back next week over here after Talking Dead. Between this and promoting Tusk, SModcast has been like dead the last few weeks. Hope things get back to normal. I think there's finally gonna be another new Hollywood Babble On put up either this weekend or the next. Should be a double feature, actually. But there still hasn't been a new Jay and Silent Bob get old since August 11th.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Saturday Morning Cartoons Are Gone. 2014-10-04 11:41:55

Never watched them.

BBS Signature

Response to Saturday Morning Cartoons Are Gone. 2014-10-04 12:36:27

Watch your Saturday morning cartoons on Newgrounds, there's plenty of it!

BBS Signature

There's also someone else to blame for it though.

Quote from this article: http://gizmodo.com/this-is-the-first-weekend-in-america-with-no-saturday-m-1642441646/+kellyconaboy

In the 1990s, the FCC began more strictly enforcing its rule requiring broadcast networks to provide a minimum of three hours of "educational" programming every week. Networks afraid of messing with their prime-time slots found it easiest to cram this required programming in the weekend morning slot. The actual educational content of this live-action programming is sometimes debatable, but it meets the letter of the law.

Fuck them.

That's right I like guns and ponies. NO NEW GUN CONTROL.

Politically correct is anything that leftists believe.Politically incorrect is anything common sense.

BBS Signature

Response to Saturday Morning Cartoons Are Gone. 2014-10-04 20:54:22

At 10/4/14 07:57 PM, wildfire4461 wrote:
Quote from this article: http://gizmodo.com/this-is-the-first-weekend-in-america-with-no-saturday-m-1642441646/+kellyconaboy

In the 1990s, the FCC began more strictly enforcing its rule requiring broadcast networks to provide a minimum of three hours of "educational" programming every week.

It is a dark day when children can not watch Saturday morning cartoons on free tv.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Saturday Morning Cartoons Are Gone. 2014-10-04 22:31:25

At 10/4/14 09:29 PM, fieldertiger wrote:
At 10/4/14 08:54 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: It is a dark day when children can not watch Saturday morning cartoons on free tv.
You know, maybe we didn't need Saturday morning cartoons since the 90s. Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network killed both of them and yet you people started to praise them like they're going to destroy part of your childhood. As a 2000s child, I did woke up some mornings to watch some episodes of various shows that I liked. Even in the early 2010s, I woke up sometimes to watch a new episode of Pokemon Black and White on Cartoon Network. But you're just talking about a fad that has been less popular since cable television hit the mainstream. Let alone remembering the cartoons that you watched during your childhood.

that's because Pokemon started becoming Cartoon Network's Flagship Series Since 2006. Pokemon will never ever move or end from Cartoon Network. Cable is the New Saturday Morning Cartoons now. the only station left that people can still watch over the air is Qubo from Ion TV.

BBS Signature