00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

switizuwu just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Illustrator to Flash

415 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Illustrator to Flash 2014-09-26 03:42:02

Anyone here create their art assets in Illustrator and then bring them into Flash for animating? I've always made my assets (for games) inside Flash but I'm considering using Illustrator and was curious if any of you have done this and, if so, how do you like it?

Response to Illustrator to Flash 2014-09-28 14:39:26

I ink my stuff on paper and use illustrator's live trace to convert it to vector and then import it into flash. Live trace is way better than the 'convert to bitmap' thing in flash.

Smarty Art, Ninja, Action

BBS Signature

Response to Illustrator to Flash 2014-09-28 22:56:23

At 9/28/14 02:39 PM, Celshaded wrote: I ink my stuff on paper and use illustrator's live trace to convert it to vector and then import it into flash. Live trace is way better than the 'convert to bitmap' thing in flash.

Oh very cool dude. I was very curious if there was a way to draw something on paper and then plop it into a program. So if I draw something on paper, scan it into my computer, and use Illustrator's live trace to convert to bitmap - will I be able to do things with it such as using the paint bucket to fill inside the lines?

Response to Illustrator to Flash 2014-09-29 20:03:45

At 9/28/14 10:56 PM, Hero101 wrote:
At 9/28/14 02:39 PM, Celshaded wrote: I ink my stuff on paper and use illustrator's live trace to convert it to vector and then import it into flash. Live trace is way better than the 'convert to bitmap' thing in flash.
Oh very cool dude. I was very curious if there was a way to draw something on paper and then plop it into a program. So if I draw something on paper, scan it into my computer, and use Illustrator's live trace to convert to bitmap - will I be able to do things with it such as using the paint bucket to fill inside the lines?

yeah, absolutely. That's actually the main reason for me vectorizing my lines. If there was a way to get clean paint bucket fills in raster, I would just do it in photoshop; But the paint bucket is such a huge time saver.

I specifically use illustrator because you can set it to automatically delete the white of the paper and preserve your vector line work as opposed to "trace bitmap" in Flash, where you have to go through and delete all the whites individually.

Smarty Art, Ninja, Action

BBS Signature

Response to Illustrator to Flash 2014-09-29 21:11:32

At 9/29/14 08:03 PM, Celshaded wrote:
At 9/28/14 10:56 PM, Hero101 wrote:
At 9/28/14 02:39 PM, Celshaded wrote:
I specifically use illustrator because you can set it to automatically delete the white of the paper and preserve your vector line work as opposed to "trace bitmap" in Flash, where you have to go through and delete all the whites individually.

Oh that's awesome dude thanks for the input. I will have to give it a try and figure out how to make it so that it automatically deletes the white of the paper. I love drawing assets in Flash as it is quicker since I spend most of my time trying to learn how to program for my games, but I think it would be a lot of fun to make a game with assets that I made on paper.

Thanks again :)