00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Lipinski14D just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What's A Good Gaming Laptop?

951 Views | 27 Replies

What's A Good Gaming Laptop? 2014-09-25 05:02:33

I know I can spend 1/10th the cost on a desktop and get something even faster but I have this fascination with being able to move my computer a couple times a year when I need to, so...

Anyone have a suggestion for a good gaming laptop?

I have Steam and their stupid sales have multiplied my game catalog by 1,000. Most the games are playable on my current rig but I'd certainly like to be able to bump up the graphics a bit without it shitting all over itself.

Much appreciated for any help! Thanks dudes!

Ignorance is bliss.

BBS Signature

Response to What's A Good Gaming Laptop? 2014-09-25 05:04:50

Oh, and my budget is ~$1,000

The more I can save the merrier but as I understand it good gaming laptops are far more expensive than that...

Ignorance is bliss.

BBS Signature

Response to What's A Good Gaming Laptop? 2014-09-25 05:17:29

Hacker's tip: buy a cheap notebook and download more RAM. It worked for me now I'm playing games at 120fps.

This post is generated by human intelligence (or lack thereof).

Response to What's A Good Gaming Laptop? 2014-09-25 05:30:55

Please don't do it. It's not worth it.

BBS Signature

Response to What's A Good Gaming Laptop? 2014-09-25 08:50:20

At 9/25/14 05:30 AM, Sword-of-Kings wrote: Please don't do it. It's not worth it.

It is if you need the mobility.

Source: Surface Pro 3 gamer.

Response to What's A Good Gaming Laptop? 2014-09-25 10:18:13

I found this oddly specific site while googling.

http://gaminglaptopunder1000.org/gaming-laptops-under-1000/
Maybe the site will be helpful

You can also get the Alienware 14, which is 999€ (probably the same amount in dollars)

BBS Signature

Response to What's A Good Gaming Laptop? 2014-09-25 11:24:25

Only 1000...
Keep saving

BBS Signature

Response to What's A Good Gaming Laptop? 2014-09-25 11:30:15

One word, MSi, this one might be over the budget but I still think it's a great choice if you were willing to spend some more: Amazon Link

BBS Signature

Response to What's A Good Gaming Laptop? 2014-09-25 14:36:43

At 9/25/14 11:30 AM, dumbclowny wrote: One word, MSi, this one might be over the budget but I still think it's a great choice if you were willing to spend some more: Amazon Link

Another $250 I can handle no problem. From the reviews this thing looks beast mode... Might have to get it!!!

Ignorance is bliss.

BBS Signature

Response to What's A Good Gaming Laptop? 2014-09-25 14:57:22

Go on ALIEN WARE website . They build best PCS . You can get really good gaming labtop for about $1000

Response to What's A Good Gaming Laptop? 2014-09-25 15:06:41

At 9/25/14 06:01 AM, yurgenburgen wrote: I have an MSI GT70 which is good but it wasn't under $1000
MSI make good laptops for gaming so you might find something by them that suits what you want

I have a Dominator Pro 890. GTX 880M is about equal to a 760 or 770 depending on what game youre playing. Its actually a darn good gaming machine after you put an SSD in it. The HDD that model comes with is crap.

BBS Signature

At 9/25/14 02:57 PM, DjGubkafish wrote: Go on ALIEN WARE website . They build best PCS . You can get really good gaming labtop for about $1000

I've heard a lot of crap about alienware but perhaps it was just that: talking crap.

I checked out that suggested MSI one and everyone seems to love it except their support.

There are a couple refurbished ones for half price... Should I roll the dice?

Also seems to be a lot of talk about HDD and SSD and they say the MSI rig suggested to me is hard to change. Is changing that critical? If so, should I avoid the MSI?

Thank you all SO much so far! Really helpful and great advice!!!

Ignorance is bliss.

BBS Signature

Response to What's A Good Gaming Laptop? 2014-09-25 15:23:54

At 9/25/14 03:09 PM, Logo wrote:
At 9/25/14 02:57 PM, DjGubkafish wrote: Go on ALIEN WARE website . They build best PCS . You can get really good gaming labtop for about $1000
I've heard a lot of crap about alienware but perhaps it was just that: talking crap.

No. Ignore that guy. He just likes shitposting in tech threads.

The ones on the site klompors posted look pretty good, but don't just take their word for it. Look up reviews and demonstration videos so you can get an idea of how it really performs. Also take into consideration what screen size and weight you're looking for.

Response to What's A Good Gaming Laptop? 2014-09-25 15:28:26

At 9/25/14 03:23 PM, Bit wrote:
At 9/25/14 03:09 PM, Logo wrote:
No. Ignore that guy. He just likes shitposting in tech threads.

The ones on the site klompors posted look pretty good, but don't just take their word for it. Look up reviews and demonstration videos so you can get an idea of how it really performs. Also take into consideration what screen size and weight you're looking for.

Weight doesn't matter in the slightest to me. It'll always be on a table and any man should be able to lift 15lbs if necessary :)

17" would be nice. I like to animate and make music too and my current 15" has drawbacks with that frequently.

I'm the type of person to read a million reviews before getting something but I just had no idea where to start on this. I know there are millions of laptops out there. MSI looks solid even though their support appears to blow.

How critical is the whole HDD/SSD thing though? It appears to be a lot of work to change the suggested MSI rig to SSD and I guess it voids warranty? Is this just a marginal improvement or necessary?

Ignorance is bliss.

BBS Signature

At 9/25/14 03:28 PM, Logo wrote: How critical is the whole HDD/SSD thing though? It appears to be a lot of work to change the suggested MSI rig to SSD and I guess it voids warranty? Is this just a marginal improvement or necessary?

HDD is less expensive and usually stores more data.

SSD is much quicker for certain things. Startup/shutdown times average about 15 seconds for most people. Loading times are decreased significantly. The drive itself is also much more resistant to drops, bumps, and failures.

So it's really a cost/performance tradeoff. Switching the HDD for an SSD is usually (but not always) a fairly easy procedure. It will void your warranty, though... if you tell them about it.

Response to What's A Good Gaming Laptop? 2014-09-25 15:49:16

At 9/25/14 05:04 AM, Logo wrote: Oh, and my budget is ~$1,000

The more I can save the merrier but as I understand it good gaming laptops are far more expensive than that...

I'm not saying it's the best choice for the price, but about 6 months ago I bought an Alienware 14 for almost exactly $1,000 and it's worked perfectly for me. I'm in the habit of setting all graphics to ULTRA now and playing games beautifully.

Not gonna lie, the lights are a lot of fun to play with too

It made more sense in my head.

BBS Signature

Response to What's A Good Gaming Laptop? 2014-09-25 15:52:01

Apple makes great gaming laptops because you can eat them.

ratchili.com i make stuff

BBS Signature

Response to What's A Good Gaming Laptop? 2014-09-25 16:04:03

At 9/25/14 03:52 PM, Chat-man wrote: Apple makes great gaming laptops because you can eat them.

Looks like I can get that MSI Apache for $500 less if I snag it from this guy on eBay used:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-GE70-2OE-017US-17-3-750-GB-Intel-Core-i7-4th-Gen-3-2-GHz-12-GB-/181536358886?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item2a446901e6

Thoughts on buying a used laptop? I've owned probably 5 laptops in my time and none of them were any worse at the end of owning them than at the beginning...

Ignorance is bliss.

BBS Signature

Response to What's A Good Gaming Laptop? 2014-09-25 19:23:42

At 9/25/14 05:02 AM, Logo wrote: I know I can spend 1/10th the cost on a desktop and get something even faster

Well...

I mean...

MAYBE if you're talking pre-built desktops...

BBS Signature

Response to What's A Good Gaming Laptop? 2014-09-25 19:38:22

Acer Aspire V3 is a good budget gaming laptop.

Just make sure to set as many of your games to discrete graphics mode.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to What's A Good Gaming Laptop? 2014-09-25 20:47:01

>gaming

>laptop

Pick one

life can be real fuckin crazy

BBS Signature

Response to What's A Good Gaming Laptop? 2014-09-25 20:53:44

At 9/25/14 08:47 PM, Kogey wrote: >gaming

>laptop

Pick one

hi mike

fuck yuo idiote

BBS Signature

Response to What's A Good Gaming Laptop? 2014-09-25 21:16:51

At 9/25/14 08:53 PM, Sevkat wrote:
At 9/25/14 08:47 PM, Kogey wrote: >gaming

>laptop

Pick one
hi mike

Hey babe~

life can be real fuckin crazy

BBS Signature

Response to What's A Good Gaming Laptop? 2014-09-26 00:26:00

Buying the used MSI GE70 off eBay :D

Ignorance is bliss.

BBS Signature

Response to What's A Good Gaming Laptop? 2014-09-26 01:12:04

At 9/26/14 12:57 AM, SentForMe wrote: Download more RAM? I think you must be thinking of something else, unless they've figured out how to 3D Print RAM recently and I wasn't aware of it.

That's nothing. Sometimes when I'm bored I download more storage.

This post is generated by human intelligence (or lack thereof).

Response to What's A Good Gaming Laptop? 2014-09-27 05:45:47

Got it! Loving it so far! Thanks everyone for your help!!!

Ignorance is bliss.

BBS Signature

Response to What's A Good Gaming Laptop? 2014-09-27 19:45:48

With my machine (and nonexistent budget for a better one) my main concern is getting games to run at a playable speed. Once it's playable, I couldn't give less of a shit how good it looks. I play Skyrim at 640x480 (big step up from 320x240 and still having severe lag on my old computer... now I can read the text!) with everything set to low. It's barely playable on my laptop, even at that res. I had to edit my SkyrimPrefs.ini and make it read-only so the launcher wouldn't override it for 800x600, you wouldn't think less than a couple hundred extra pixels would have that much of an impact, but it does.

It's the first "new" thing I've gotten in almost ten years. Everything else that could be classified as an electronic was used and old, and above all else, slow. Mom and Dad got this one for me when I headed into college this year, and they insisted upon the cheapest new one they could find. They went only with new simply because they were under the assumption that it would last me longer. Time has yet to tell, but I must say that this is a significant upgrade over my old computer, so I can't complain too much.

Macs make great gaming laptops if you install Windows on them and push the screen res down a bit. Those GTX 680 M's are more than competent. Much better than, say, Intel HD Graphics (not even a number) on a Celeron N2830. Honestly wishing I had went with one of the AMD-based models, the A series have integrated Radeons that beat the Intel HD's ass seven ways to Sunday. And you don't even have to go with their next-to-highest-end product for a quad-core!

QuakeNet channel #newgrounds.com! Stop by and say hey.

-- sedrosken, formerly known as MR-DOS

Response to What's A Good Gaming Laptop? 2014-09-27 22:26:13

If you're moving your gaming rig only occasionally what's wrong with a desktop?

A gaming laptop is "convenient" only when you are constantly moving from location to location (like on a weekly basis for team LAN practices). But if you are moving your computer only twice a year then a desktop should be no problem?