00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Motorcycles and old age

2,608 Views | 39 Replies

Response to Motorcycles and old age 2014-09-25 20:12:44

At 9/25/14 08:03 PM, Slacker013 wrote: And we have two of them, a 65 and a 66, both improved and better then the 63s that originally had the problem. Potential in being beautiful convertibles, just no motivation what so ever to save them...

Sounds like us (my family) when it comes to working on our cars....we have 7 classic cars but only 3 of them could be considered "show worthy" or closeish to that at the moment. My dad's newest "toy" is a 1962 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk. And hes actually making an effort to get it all put together and finished. It's weird.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Motorcycles and old age 2014-09-25 21:34:17

At 9/25/14 07:27 PM, YomToxic wrote: I have a question: Can you rig it for long-distance travel?

Why, you live far away? Well, I've been looking at sissy bars and ways to carry shit, but it's all academic till I can sit on the thing. Takes muscles to handle a bike properly. After I toughen up a bit, I'll look at how to do luggage, Western style.

The tank's just under 3 gallons, I suppose I could look for a fatter one.

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Motorcycles and old age 2014-09-25 21:52:43

At 9/25/14 07:32 PM, Malachy wrote: It was a relatively minor part that was sold through Yamaha - like a different size rear fork or something.

I was shocked Honda only sells parts for bikes under 4 years old, nothing for older models! Shit, the last Honda dealer I liked and went to, closed up years ago. Ran it out of an old farmhouse on a lonely road.

When I took the class years ago I was in NY and they waived the DMV road test. It was also available as a 3 day weekend class, friday to sunday. They have advanced classes if you already have your motorcycle license to learn advanced skills using your own bike instead of theirs. I might take one some day.

I'll ask about that advanced class when I'm there. I'm sure they have many selling points...

Originally the cases came with a big long extension for the brake light and its own set of turn signals off to the back and sides of the cases - it looked really ugly and the signals the kit came with were not the right voltage and the bike shop spent a lot of time trying to figure it out - either it would trip up the circuit and the signals wouldn't work or all 4 signals would go or the correct 2 would work but go in a strobe speed. In the end they suggested removing the extensions and putting the original light fixtures on the bike. I think it looks much better aesthetically the way it is, but I don't like that lights are being hidden on the sides.

Guess that's why I haven't seen too many light extensions around. It's a slight problem for bikers here, depending on which angled, colonial intersection they happen to be at.

Eventually I would like to replace my lights with LEDs and add some extra LEDs to the sides of the bike to increase visibility.

Nice low voltage stuff. Sometimes those truckers put 2 or 3 alternators on just to blind everyone :\ I wish kids would do that.. driving at night and cranking the tunes to 11 is kinda disturbing to catch sight of (very dim headlights). In the old days, I'd worry that person was running out of battery, not beats :|

It's not just the bike you need to make sure is visible, you should wear high visibility gear too - a helmet should have at least 2 square inches of reflective material on each side (I have 2 MSF reflectors free from my class on my helmet). My gloves have reflective piping and small reflectors on the fingers. My jacket has reflective piping. My boots have reflective bits to them.

My Pop used to have rolls of reflective tape, but older stuff, not too efficient. I bought some 3M tape for my mailbox, but it's shit. Trial and error.

I do ride at night. I use the motorcycle in lieu of a 2nd car at the moment though now that I've moved out of south florida I have had my eyes on a new pickup truck.

Do you have a need for hauling big, tall stuff, every so often? Van might be more useful, even for hauling your bike (plus it's lower to the ground).

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Motorcycles and old age 2014-09-25 22:02:10

At 9/25/14 09:38 PM, Cordyceps wrote: I've been fond of using M1 helmets. I wore one at work until the safety guy said I couldn't anymore.

Never needed one thankfully, though later on I was compelled to have one with me on bigger job sites. I used to be an excavator, lay pipe, get dirt ready for foundations. Gotta watch out for poison ivy roots...

BBS Signature

Response to Motorcycles and old age 2014-09-25 22:07:47

At 9/25/14 07:34 PM, Slacker013 wrote: I remember my dads mid life crisis bike being an old Kawasaki 2 stroke that he bought off of eBay from some guy in Canada, I don't remember how much he paid for it... He played with it for a while, then he downsized his motorcycle collection to just a BMW K1200 which is nice but the Harley had never been wrecked. Then he takes his newly found space and stuffs more random shit that he just had to have into the garage, didn't even try putting the Corvair in there...
Never again!

It's been tough having a mid-life crisis, when I've never been married or had kids. Lol, I guess I'm just looking forward to going around all the nasty potholes between A and B. BMW bikes always looked purposeful and cushy... still happy I got what I did.

BBS Signature

Response to Motorcycles and old age 2014-09-25 22:15:53

At 9/25/14 08:12 PM, Viper wrote: And hes actually making an effort to get it all put together and finished. It's weird.

I had my fill of big machines. I think the transmission to my 1982 Honda Civic weighs about the same as the bike I'm getting!
Next to get worked on: The John Deere's attachment lift is fucked up, a keyway probably fell out/sheared again |: That's about 5 gallons of hydraulic fluid, and Gob knows how heavy... it might only be 4 or 5 bolts, but lol, not a fun activity. I'd much rather get some Hurricane Sandy damage taken care of before winter hits... again.

triple post, send me to BBS hell, post haste

BBS Signature

Response to Motorcycles and old age 2014-09-26 10:34:17

At 9/25/14 09:34 PM, VicariousE wrote:
At 9/25/14 07:27 PM, YomToxic wrote: I have a question: Can you rig it for long-distance travel?
Why, you live far away? Well, I've been looking at sissy bars and ways to carry shit, but it's all academic till I can sit on the thing. Takes muscles to handle a bike properly. After I toughen up a bit, I'll look at how to do luggage, Western style.

The tank's just under 3 gallons, I suppose I could look for a fatter one.

I always wanted to rig a motorbike with camping gear, food and drink - and just drive into the distance.

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

BBS Signature

Response to Motorcycles and old age 2014-09-26 15:10:52

At 9/26/14 10:34 AM, YomToxic wrote: I always wanted to rig a motorbike with camping gear, food and drink - and just drive into the distance.

My first thought was of that kid who dropped everything and went to Alaska, likely died in the wilderness there lol. They made a movie about it in the last few years. 'Into the Wilderness' or some shit.

Second thought: If you ran out of gas in the wilderness... There's a way to turn dried wood chips into hydrogen, then you could hook a pipe up to the air-intake, run it at high RPM's that way. I've got 2 pdf's in that Vault 101 link below...

"No matter where you go, there you are." Just got in contact with the seller, I'll be picking the shoat (baby hog) up Sunday.

BBS Signature

Response to Motorcycles and old age 2014-10-13 09:22:31

Hell yeah, keep the majestic beast-- at the very least you can keep the sucker maintained far into the future and sell it for mucho spacedollars when fossil fueled vehicles come back in vouge. Kinda has me hankering for a motorcycle. I would never have the time, but the thoughts of cross-country bike trips would keep me inspired even after repeatedly dropping hundreds of pounds of steel and high gloss paint on my legs, heh.
As for the helmet, it cant be too hard to find proper spraypaint for the job-- a bit of masking tape, an hour to fiddle around until it looks perfect-- do it.
For added points you gotta wear a purple leotard. YOU GOTTA.

BBS Signature

Response to Motorcycles and old age 2014-10-13 11:11:14

At 9/24/14 09:48 PM, Sensationalism wrote: I don't know where to find one but just whatever you do please always wear a helmet.

Motorcycle helmets are pointless just like seatbelts and hospitals.

BBS Signature