00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

nightswenteverest just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

drawing old men at the park

979 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

drawing old men at the park 2014-09-23 05:40:08

i've started to spend time at the cafè at the park, sneakily drawing the old men who hang out there. pretty creepy of me but it actually is a good exercise. here are a few of my victims... any tips and tricks for life drawing?

drawing old men at the park

Response to drawing old men at the park 2014-09-23 19:45:40

At 9/23/14 05:40 AM, giorgiakay wrote: i've started to spend time at the cafè at the park, sneakily drawing the old men who hang out there. pretty creepy of me but it actually is a good exercise. here are a few of my victims... any tips and tricks for life drawing?

Hey I actually think this is a pretty cool idea. Most people just draw unrealistic and overly idealistic people (i.e. those who they find handsome or hot depending on the angle they dangle) but you decided to draw a bunch of realistic sketches of old guys which honestly have a lot more character than if you just drew attractive young people out of your own imagination.

I hope you understand what I'm getting at because I sure as hell don't but still, this is a unique artistic excercise.

Response to drawing old men at the park 2014-09-23 20:05:28

I recommend starting by marking angle of the spine and whatever lines of action are going on. Don't get too caught up on contour. If you feel self conscious, wear a pair of sunglasses so your victims can't see where you're looking. Drawing big is fun. Vary your materials.

Response to drawing old men at the park 2014-09-24 05:00:51

Yay feedback! Thanks guyz

At 9/23/14 07:45 PM, TheCoachBrew wrote:
At 9/23/14 05:40 AM, giorgiakay wrote: i've started to spend time at the cafè at the park, sneakily drawing the old men who hang out there. pretty creepy of me but it actually is a good exercise. here are a few of my victims... any tips and tricks for life drawing?
Hey I actually think this is a pretty cool idea. Most people just draw unrealistic and overly idealistic people (i.e. those who they find handsome or hot depending on the angle they dangle) but you decided to draw a bunch of realistic sketches of old guys which honestly have a lot more character than if you just drew attractive young people out of your own imagination.

I hope you understand what I'm getting at because I sure as hell don't but still, this is a unique artistic excercise.

I understand perfectly. That's exactly what I wanted to do, to get rid of years and years' worth of drawing idealistically attractive people.

At 9/23/14 08:05 PM, lovingthedark wrote: I recommend starting by marking angle of the spine and whatever lines of action are going on. Don't get too caught up on contour. If you feel self conscious, wear a pair of sunglasses so your victims can't see where you're looking. Drawing big is fun. Vary your materials.

Very good and practical tips. Thanks a bunch! I want to try with charcoal maybe, to do some shading and get a feel for the mass and weight of different bodies

Response to drawing old men at the park 2014-09-28 05:54:30

I don't think this is life drawing more like characters designed based on real people. Life drawing would be more like drawing it the way you see it exactly. I don't think its creepy, I'm sure they don't care. As for tips, I suggest knowing when to leave out line to make room for color. If you're adding color that is.

TOAST

Response to drawing old men at the park 2014-09-28 09:35:42

I think its an excellent exercise. Best way to learn how to really capture the personality of people and characters is to do something like this. These people arent posing, they arent carefully selected professional models, or your target body types with planned outfits. They are regular schlubs wearing regular shit acting how they always do. Its these kinds of exercises that really push how crazy the variation in people are.

We are always taught how to draw the ideal person, 8 heads tall, arms end here, legs end here, torso-neck-head, etc. etc. When really looking at real everyday people in real everyday situations makes you realize the standard anatomical rules arent as rigid as everyone wants to make them. Fat people can be wider than they are tall, with little or no necks. Super thing ones can have comically lanky features. Posture hugely effects the personality and shape of a character and person.

Really getting into these anonymous studies can truly help you figure out what it really takes to draw a person.

Response to drawing old men at the park 2014-09-29 16:13:04

Thanks a lot! I'm glad you like them!