00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cool Sculptors & Game Devs

9,242 Views | 23 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Cool Sculptors & Game Devs 2014-09-19 14:47:57

TurkeyOnAStick has announced the winners of the NG Sculpting Contest! Here they are if you missed it in the Art Forum:

First place ($100): @b0em - Behemoth & Lindworm

Second place ($75): @torithefox: Thea

Third Place ($50): @Fireangelz - Tyrion Lannister

Thank you Ama for organizing the contest!

Today is Follow Friday so why not follow b0em, torithefox and Fireangelz?

Earlier this week we announced improved Unity upload support. Check out some of these Unity devs you could be following:

Evil-Dog is no stranger to NG and has made some of the greatest Flash games on the web. He's also been making games with Unity!

Hypnohustler also has a history of awesome Flash games here on NG and his latest work has been Unity as well.

I've been following rogueNoodle on Twitter for a little while now and I'm excited to see him on NG!

dinopuncher released his latest game and I was surprised to learn he has a long history with NG. His original account was Ishamael70 and he made 3 3ast 3 3urious back in 2005!

There are still plenty of awesome games being made without Unity, of course. zqf joined NG in June and just uploaded this Flash game:

FamousAspect used HTML5 and Flappy Bird as a vessel to examine the cruel realities of a midlife crisis.

VascoF just released Freeway Fury 3, the latest in his popular series, made with Flash.

If you're interested in Haxe for game development, xKiRiLLx has been writing tutorials!

Other News

Yesterday we launched a test where the NG search was replaced by a Google search of NG. Everyone agreed it was ugly but lots of people also found the things they were looking for. Ultimately I would like to have an NG-hosted search that defaults to a site search, with the option to toggle categories such as games / movies / audio / art / user / forums. For now, we've gone back to the traditional search BUT on non-content-specific pages it defaults to "Everything", which is the Google search. We're gonna keep watching to see how it impacts traffic.

Monday is Madness Day! Share your Madness-themed movies, games, art and music for a chance to win a prize!

Also be sure to join in on the Madness Thunderclap; our social accounts will be auto-posting tomorrow to promote the Project Nexus 2 Kickstarter, which is nearly complete!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Sculptors & Game Devs 2014-09-19 15:35:10

Those sculpt are awsome! Such a great idea of Ama(ranthus)!

till we overdose

Response to Cool Sculptors & Game Devs 2014-09-19 15:37:14

At 9/19/14 02:49 PM, Ama wrote: Also everybody follow me because I organized it.
Do it.

Where did you get the prize money from?

till we overdose

Response to Cool Sculptors & Game Devs 2014-09-19 15:46:32

At 9/19/14 03:38 PM, Ama wrote:
At 9/19/14 03:37 PM, ComicD wrote:
At 9/19/14 02:49 PM, Ama wrote: Also everybody follow me because I organized it.
Do it.
I threatened to post Tom's nudes online and he gave it to me.

OMG! YOU'RE SUCH A FUCKING GENIIOUS!

till we overdose

Response to Cool Sculptors & Game Devs 2014-09-19 15:48:17

I thought that photography wasn't allowed on the Art portal. Is it permitted just for this contest, or does this only qualify as sculpting and not photography at all?

Response to Cool Sculptors & Game Devs 2014-09-19 15:50:30

At 9/19/14 03:48 PM, Gontronic wrote: I thought that photography wasn't allowed on the Art portal. Is it permitted just for this contest, or does this only qualify as sculpting and not photography at all?

Photography is fine if it's a photo of a piece of art you created.

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Sculptors & Game Devs 2014-09-19 15:55:03

Behemoth & Lindworm is really well painted!

Response to Cool Sculptors & Game Devs 2014-09-19 15:56:50

At 9/19/14 03:50 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 9/19/14 03:48 PM, Gontronic wrote: I thought that photography wasn't allowed on the Art portal. Is it permitted just for this contest, or does this only qualify as sculpting and not photography at all?
Photography is fine if it's a photo of a piece of art you created.

What about mixed media?

Response to Cool Sculptors & Game Devs 2014-09-19 16:09:32

At 9/19/14 03:56 PM, roekrScreen wrote: What about mixed media?

I believe mixed media is generally accepted, although some people have tested the boundaries of what is considered mixed media, in terms of how much it varies from the original source material. I'd say give it a shot though.

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Sculptors & Game Devs 2014-09-19 16:22:29

At 9/19/14 04:09 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 9/19/14 03:56 PM, roekrScreen wrote: What about mixed media?
I believe mixed media is generally accepted, although some people have tested the boundaries of what is considered mixed media, in terms of how much it varies from the original source material. I'd say give it a shot though.

Awesome! I have already posted a photo that I drew over in PS. It was well received and is probably the reason why I got scouted so fast.

Response to Cool Sculptors & Game Devs 2014-09-19 17:46:12

At 9/19/14 02:47 PM, TomFulp wrote: winners of the NG Sculpting Contest!

[does a little jig]

At 9/19/14 04:22 PM, roekrScreen wrote: Awesome! I have already posted a photo that I drew over in PS.

This pic?

Seems fine, and you said it's a mixed media pic. I occasionally wonder whether reviewers are aware that certain features are photographs, or people just paint-over photos (which is laaaame).

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Sculptors & Game Devs 2014-09-19 20:19:03

West art on NG man

Response to Cool Sculptors & Game Devs 2014-09-19 20:55:04

Do it.

This is why I don't organize collabs/contests, no recognition for the great idea.

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Sculptors & Game Devs 2014-09-19 21:56:12

At 9/19/14 03:55 PM, roekrScreen wrote: Behemoth & Lindworm is really well painted!

Thank you very much, took a while!

And I want to thank you guys for this, it's been 4 years since I won anything here, this is awesome!

Knock knock.

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Sculptors & Game Devs 2014-09-20 02:30:39

I'm glad the traditional search is back! :)

Response to Cool Sculptors & Game Devs 2014-09-20 07:11:51

At 9/19/14 03:38 PM, Ama wrote:
At 9/19/14 03:37 PM, ComicD wrote:
Do it.
I threatened to post Tom's nudes online and he gave it to me.

Aka you robbed a bank

The cake is a liar!

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Sculptors & Game Devs 2014-09-20 17:11:44

Can't wait for Madness Day 2014,i hope it won't suck like last year's MD.

Also,congrats to Krinkels and Swain for getting the needed money to fun the game. Too bad the extra game modes won't be there...yet.

I see you looking.

Response to Cool Sculptors & Game Devs 2014-09-21 05:21:20

At 9/20/14 02:30 AM, Wiesi wrote: I'm glad the traditional search is back! :)

Me too, staying as far away from Google, as I can.

which is virtually impossible, but worth the effort
At 9/19/14 03:55 PM, roekrScreen wrote: Behemoth & Lindworm is really well painted!

Indeed! It was a fully realized work, just felt bad the runners-up, like the Duck-Hunt dog and the Chewbacca looking mask, which were also perfect visions of their creators.

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Sculptors & Game Devs 2014-09-21 10:49:36

i'm kicking myself for being ignorant of a sculpting contest going down! the prizes couldn't have gone to cooler submissions though. A big hand to everyone that took part, as i think we'd all love to see more sculpting continue in the art portal!

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Sculptors & Game Devs 2014-09-21 14:13:45

At 9/19/14 05:46 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 9/19/14 02:47 PM, TomFulp wrote: winners of the NG Sculpting Contest!
[does a little jig]
At 9/19/14 04:22 PM, roekrScreen wrote: Awesome! I have already posted a photo that I drew over in PS.
This pic?
http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/roekrscreen/through-hell-and-high-water
Seems fine, and you said it's a mixed media pic. I occasionally wonder whether reviewers are aware that certain features are photographs, or people just paint-over photos (which is laaaame).

Thank you! Yeah, just doing paint-overs and pretending that you drew it from scratch is lame, but I have seen a lot of good artist using photos to create textures or other cool effects.
Dunno about reviewers. I think it is often noticeable if there has been used photos, but not always.

Response to Cool Sculptors & Game Devs 2014-09-21 14:32:44

At 9/21/14 02:13 PM, RealFaction wrote: Nice!! On an unrelated note, question about tomorrow (Madness Day). I've made four songs for an animation, can only one be entered for madness day? I don't see an official contest or saying you can only enter one, but I know which one I'd enter if I had to pick one. Is that a rule this year? I have to tag four but yeah :S idk

You can enter all four!

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Sculptors & Game Devs 2014-10-05 08:26:11

Good stuff. Congrats to the winners!

At 9/21/14 05:21 AM, VicariousE wrote: Me too, staying as far away from Google, as I can.
which is virtually impossible, but worth the effort

Ditto. Can always trust at least NG to always respect my privacy... I hope. :P

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Sculptors & Game Devs 2014-10-05 09:56:21

At 10/5/14 08:26 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Ditto. Can always trust at least NG to always respect my privacy... I hope. :P

NG does deserve a lot more credit in the privacy department; we aren't tracking everything you do (for example Facebook records everything you type, even if you hit backspace and never post it)... We don't even know what pages you've visited unless you've favorited them or written a review. We also don't share your email or other information with anyone else.

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Sculptors & Game Devs 2014-10-05 10:16:00

At 10/5/14 09:56 AM, TomFulp wrote: NG does deserve a lot more credit in the privacy department; we aren't tracking everything you do (for example Facebook records everything you type, even if you hit backspace and never post it)... We don't even know what pages you've visited unless you've favorited them or written a review. We also don't share your email or other information with anyone else.

That's good to know! Yeah I've read about FBs ominous omniscience.. one of the reasons I avoid that place as much as possible...

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature