00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How To: Motivation 2014-09-12 19:33:54

How does one stay motivated?

I have a project I really want to complete but I'm just dreading doing it. I want to do it, yet I don't.

So, how do you guys stay motivated in general?

Response to How To: Motivation 2014-09-12 22:17:58

I like to sit and pretend I'm a jellyfish for a while. Just floating in the ocean doing jellyfish things. After a few minutes I snap out of it and get back to work. I do that periodically while on a project and it's always helped me keep working.

BBS Signature

Response to How To: Motivation 2014-09-13 07:54:10

At 9/12/14 10:17 PM, Magical-Zorse wrote: I like to sit and pretend I'm a jellyfish for a while. Just floating in the ocean doing jellyfish things. After a few minutes I snap out of it and get back to work. I do that periodically while on a project and it's always helped me keep working.

Great, I'll have to try it sometime.

Response to How To: Motivation 2014-09-14 07:55:25

At 9/12/14 07:33 PM, GrahamNG wrote: How does one stay motivated?

When drawing, I find the best way is as soon as you get an idea, you use that initial drive to do as much as possible (initial sketches, lay some inital shapes for the design, colour, shading) since I usually find that the first few stages is the hump that determines whether a project lives or dies. I think the same can be said for movies and games - work out something skeletal like the main game mechanics. Go as far as you possibly can, so that when you return to the project you can view it again from a fresher perspective.

Keep other distractions to a minimum, such as chatting to friends, since you'll lose focus, but stuff you can do simultaneously like listening to music is fine since you make the creation process enjoyable.

I think that it's also worth mentioning that if you think something is failing from the beginning, such as a joke that isn't funny, it's ok just to call it quits and start something from scratch or scrap the idea completely.

BBS Signature

Response to How To: Motivation 2014-09-14 15:45:39

I usually get up and move around when I notice I'm slowing down; getting sidetracked. Or I end up getting sidetracked, it happens. Feels like the best way to stay focused is to stay active though, exercise gives you tons of energy and makes rest all the more efficient. As for the mental part of it, envisioning reaching the goal behind the motivation works too. And doing things in small steps, not trying to overachieve and then getting disappointed if you don't do as much as you set out to do. If it's not work that's automatically rewarding, you can always set up awards along the way. Try to shut out any potential distractions and just go for it!

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to How To: Motivation 2014-09-17 09:50:47

At 9/12/14 07:33 PM, GrahamNG wrote: So, how do you guys stay motivated in general?

I don't.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to How To: Motivation 2014-09-17 15:26:54

At 9/17/14 09:50 AM, Radaketor wrote:
At 9/12/14 07:33 PM, GrahamNG wrote: So, how do you guys stay motivated in general?
I don't.

A true aspiration.

Response to How To: Motivation 2014-09-28 18:06:43

Motivation is a difficult thing to grasp. I usually 'just do it'. Not to steal Nike's saying. But sometimes you have to force yourself to do it. I write a lot for a living, and more often than not I find myself stuck. I can't go on. When this happens, I step back and take a break. Go for a bike ride. Jog to the park. Do something to get your blood moving. You need to get those blood cells moving. Then, an hour later, I come back to whatever I was doing...And continue. If it's inspiration you're looking for... It depends on what you're doing as a project and what kind of inspiration you're looking for.

Just my tip to stay motivated is: Take a break and exercise.

Response to How To: Motivation 2014-09-30 02:56:48

I have a project I really want to complete but I'm just dreading doing it. I want to do it, yet I don't.

So, how do you guys stay motivated in general?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqzFpUbbhuc

Solwings formerly dalexj1337 - Being a sped online since 2014

BBS Signature