00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Nue22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Newgrounds and Net Neutrality

2,679 Views | 35 Replies

Newgrounds and Net Neutrality 2014-09-10 00:07:07

Way to go, Tom!

I was curious if you were going to participate in the Net Neutrality awareness campaign, and I am thrilled to see the little loading bar icon appear on the site.

For an article on today's online protest, and to see what other sites are participating, check out this WSJ article: http://online.wsj.com/articles/websites-plan-online-protest-backing-net-neutrality-wednesday-1410298792

For an informative (and entertaining) recap of the debate over net neutrality, check out these two youtube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpbOEoRrHyU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAxMyTwmu_M

Sig by BlueHippo / User Icon by CosmicDeath.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds and Net Neutrality 2014-09-10 00:09:01

At 9/10/14 12:08 AM, SCTE3 wrote: I thought that was my browser for a moment. Cool stuff.

Wait was it my browser? It's not up any more.

Maybe just a test run?

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds and Net Neutrality 2014-09-10 00:15:06

At 9/10/14 12:13 AM, SCTE3 wrote: Doesn't appear on pages again if you were just on them, shows on pages you haven't been on yet. Cool stuff @BrenTheMan.

Ah got it. Very cool.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds and Net Neutrality 2014-09-10 00:16:21

At 9/10/14 12:11 AM, Xenomit wrote: Nah, fuck this

Wait you don't have a subscription to the WSJ..?

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds and Net Neutrality 2014-09-10 00:26:11

are you sure you don't have browser extensions ? i have never seen this add

Response to Newgrounds and Net Neutrality 2014-09-10 00:32:22

For a moment I thought a phishing browser add-on was stealthily installed. Considering I just opened a suspicious e-mail from "steam", which was also legit of course.

This post is generated by human intelligence (or lack thereof).

Response to Newgrounds and Net Neutrality 2014-09-10 00:36:28

I honestly thought I saw that only because I sign the net neutrality petition and now it's doing it for all the sites I'm on, but I guess not.

On a quick side note: can you even imagine just how much more dead this place would be if net neutrality was abolished? I know this is joked and exaggerated on a lot, but I honestly think the end of net neutrality would be the literal death of Newgrounds.

I'd rather die a Wolf fighting against the Herder, than die a Sheep heading for the slaughter.

AVGN Fan Club. - The Culturally Diverse Crew - The Carnivorous Crew

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds and Net Neutrality 2014-09-10 00:40:45

I haven't seen it yet.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds and Net Neutrality 2014-09-10 00:46:31

At 9/10/14 12:07 AM, Timmy wrote:
For an informative (and entertaining) recap of the debate over net neutrality, check out these two youtube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpbOEoRrHyU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAxMyTwmu_M

Here's another good one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQtiIazfoQM

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds and Net Neutrality 2014-09-10 00:56:43

At 9/10/14 12:46 AM, ZJ wrote: Here's another good one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQtiIazfoQM

That's also a good one - good for a gamer's point of view.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds and Net Neutrality 2014-09-10 01:05:35

It's real, I saw it too. I was proud to see the fight coming from Newgrounds.

Seriously love the Miestas zeitgeist....

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds and Net Neutrality 2014-09-10 01:14:23

It's good that the word is getting out. If the 'Net suddenly becomes as biased as your average ISP wants it to be, we'll soon be looking at a future of monopolistic website creation. If one of the big telecom companies doesn't sponsor the site then good luck being able to connect to it...

Response to Newgrounds and Net Neutrality 2014-09-10 01:20:02

At 9/10/14 12:08 AM, SCTE3 wrote: I thought that was my browser for a moment. Cool stuff.

I thought I had a virus for a moment :(

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds and Net Neutrality 2014-09-10 01:20:53

Netflix is on board, which is no surprise.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds and Net Neutrality 2014-09-10 01:27:37

I'm not wholly convinced Net Neutrality coming to an end will quite be the disaster people are making it out to be.

For anyone willing to reply to this and try arguing, don't. The only thing I can say is, I'm not convinced. I've seen too much fear mongering online to trust any of it anymore. That's all there is to it.

Response to Newgrounds and Net Neutrality 2014-09-10 01:40:16

I hope everyone throwing a shit fit works this time.

It didn't work with occupy or any of the other mass protests against the abuse corporate influence, but the internet is such a staple to todays lifestyles across the globe that perhaps America can make a stand.

Response to Newgrounds and Net Neutrality 2014-09-10 03:43:13

If this stupid pop-up is Tom approved, he should've made a comment about it somewhere before it went up :| I spent a lot of time banging my browser with a hammer. Can someone verify this is a legit pop-up? It'd have been nice if it was made by the NG staff, and not some pre-fab gadget, which happens to use a lot of CPU cycles constantly... Now I'm not even going to bother; whoever's behind the campaign, sure has more money than NG does.

Money talks and bullshit walks, cry all you want (while you can), they're going to whatever, because there's no accountability in our government anymore, only deception on behalf of their own greed and lust for dominance.

I mean, I'm for web neutrality, but when you have big companies like Netflix who are consuming a -lot- of bandwidth, they have to be properly charged for their traffic, and somehow, that's not happening. To me, this should be an internal business-to business, but the FCC board is made up of appointees, and the laws weren't specific... I'm just glad most of the US doesn't have to pay by useage, just access - other people on Earth have limits on how much they can download each month (I guess some smartphone plans are like that here in the US)... and that's an issue when it comes to ads/NG content. No one likes a 30 second ad, for a 15 second animation |:

rantrantrant, the Man got you chasing your own tail bro

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds and Net Neutrality 2014-09-10 04:03:23

Anyone against net neutrality is stupid, ignorant, or has ulterior motives. Pick one. There are no exceptions.

Want to know what the solution is? The solution is the large telcos and cable providers and such need to actually use all their money to build up the infrastructure -- you know to actually give people a better experience ... instead of just charging more people the same amount for access without using any of that money to actually upgrade the equipment and hardware like they need to.

Since they get all kinds of government exemptions, exclusivity, and payouts anyway it's about time they actually use some of that money to further infrastructure instead of just lining their pockets. I'd be in favor of the government stepping in and forcing their hand.

The solution is not keep infrastructure exactly as it is while continuing to bring in more new customers (thus degrading the experience of all existing customers) and end net neutrality and give preferential treatment to certain sites and penalize others to give a false sense that the Internet is "faster" (but only for certain sites) when it's in fact much much slower.

And if you disagree with me on this, you are stupid, ignorant, or have an ulterior motive (i.e. you directly profit off it). In before the influx of idiots.

An alternative solution would be to have the government just take over all existing infrastructure and just have government Internet access available for everyone, paid for by taxes. Net neutrality is retained and the greedy corporate element is dissolved although unfortunately it wouldn't protect against potential government abuse but then again what even can?

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Newgrounds and Net Neutrality 2014-09-10 04:44:22

At 9/10/14 12:13 AM, SCTE3 wrote: Doesn't appear on pages again if you were just on them, shows on pages you haven't been on yet. Cool stuff @BrenTheMan.

Doesn't do that for me. Its only showing up on the portal and random pages for me. Didn't even come up when I was on the BBS.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds and Net Neutrality 2014-09-10 07:33:22

I've seen it and I've been trying to get out the word to have people do whatever it takes to maintain net neutrality, however big or small. The people that don't care or think that most of us are exaggerating about the seriousness and scope of the issue will definitely start caring once they notice their Internet speeds slowing down at a noticeable rate.

Former iron fist mod of the NG Featureless Chat from May 23, 2012 to May 4, 2014.

NYC Meet 2010 | NYC Meet 2011 | NYC Meet 2013

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds and Net Neutrality 2014-09-10 07:51:01

At 9/10/14 07:33 AM, GoryBlizzard wrote: I've seen it and I've been trying to get out the word to have people do whatever it takes to maintain net neutrality, however big or small. The people that don't care or think that most of us are exaggerating about the seriousness and scope of the issue will definitely start caring once they notice their Internet speeds slowing down at a noticeable rate.

I've been there trying to warn friends i posted a link on facebook earlier this year and it looked like none seemed to care.
people start caring about things whens already too late.

also i though this was my browser for second forgot tom was going to do this.

"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?

was her name tenneassi

omtish

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds and Net Neutrality 2014-09-10 08:30:53

who cares, its coming to a end regardless why fight the inevitable?

Response to Newgrounds and Net Neutrality 2014-09-10 08:32:40

At 9/10/14 12:16 AM, Timmy wrote:
At 9/10/14 12:11 AM, Xenomit wrote: Nah, fuck this
Wait you don't have a subscription to the WSJ..?

In reality, the real pleb is you

5:24 PM - Hat-Fondler: adverb

5:24 PM - 平沢唯: jewishly

5:25 PM - Kupo: frothingly

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds and Net Neutrality 2014-09-10 08:33:31

I signed it
Way to go tom
@tom

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds and Net Neutrality 2014-09-10 08:36:58

At 9/10/14 01:40 AM, DarkMatter wrote: I hope everyone throwing a shit fit works this time.

It didn't work with occupy or any of the other mass protests against the abuse corporate influence, but the internet is such a staple to todays lifestyles across the globe that perhaps America can make a stand.

Didn't it help with that SOPA thing?

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds and Net Neutrality 2014-09-10 08:42:45

At 9/10/14 07:33 AM, GoryBlizzard wrote: I've seen it and I've been trying to get out the word to have people do whatever it takes to maintain net neutrality, however big or small. The people that don't care or think that most of us are exaggerating about the seriousness and scope of the issue will definitely start caring once they notice their Internet speeds slowing down at a noticeable rate.

They might not. If the only sites they use are Facebook and similar, which isn't uncommon, there's a very good chance all the sites they happen to use might be "approved" sites anyway and they won't care.

It's the smaller sites which will suffer.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Newgrounds and Net Neutrality 2014-09-10 08:47:31

At 9/10/14 08:39 AM, Ama wrote: Like I said before, NG isn't popular enough to really make a difference. But I guess the others sites that are doing it will.

agreed if the staff actually kept up with trends like HTML5, social sharing and a chat etc maybe we would still have the 04-08 heydays.

Response to Newgrounds and Net Neutrality 2014-09-10 10:35:26

At 9/10/14 08:47 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: agreed if the staff actually kept up with trends like HTML5, social sharing and a chat etc maybe we would still have the 04-08 heydays.

You keep bringing up HTML5 - NG is pretty advanced in HTML5. Most gaming sites make you host your own HTML5 games, NG actually lets you upload a ZIP with your game. Our two HTML5 game contests have resulted in pretty good games too, compared to a lot of the casual HTML5 stuff out there.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds and Net Neutrality 2014-09-10 10:36:58

At 9/10/14 03:43 AM, VicariousE wrote: If this stupid pop-up is Tom approved, he should've made a comment about it somewhere before it went up :| I spent a lot of time banging my browser with a hammer. Can someone verify this is a legit pop-up? It'd have been nice if it was made by the NG staff, and not some pre-fab gadget, which happens to use a lot of CPU cycles constantly... Now I'm not even going to bother; whoever's behind the campaign, sure has more money than NG does.

Sorry, was gonna make a post today but should have said something yesterday - it's part of a "web-wide campaign" but if it's a CPU hog maybe we should just pull it.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds and Net Neutrality 2014-09-10 11:09:08

At 9/10/14 01:27 AM, vannila-guerilla wrote: I'm not wholly convinced Net Neutrality coming to an end will quite be the disaster people are making it out to be.

For anyone willing to reply to this and try arguing, don't. The only thing I can say is, I'm not convinced. I've seen too much fear mongering online to trust any of it anymore. That's all there is to it.

It has already impacted NG and would only get worse, I just made a front page post about it.

BBS Signature