00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

sereneFalconer just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Is my grandmother a genius?

1,059 Views | 26 Replies

Is my grandmother a genius? 2014-09-05 06:28:13

So my grandmother can't read because she's illiterate, she used to bring me some donuts when i was younger and i remember she used to call them "Snuops", i thought that was funny until a few years ago i noticed that "Donouts" upside down kinda spells "Snuop", picture below.

Is my granny a genius?

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to Is my grandmother a genius? 2014-09-05 06:56:18

If she can't read she wouldn't know that it looks like "Snuop".

OP, get the fuck out.

Ecchi first, ask questions never.

BBS Signature

Response to Is my grandmother a genius? 2014-09-05 07:01:43

At 9/5/14 06:56 AM, Suprememessage wrote: If she can't read she wouldn't know that it looks like "Snuop".

Since when do you need to know how to read to say a word? She said "Snuop", she never wrote it.

BBS Signature

Response to Is my grandmother a genius? 2014-09-05 10:24:35

maybe she's dyslexic

BBS Signature

Response to Is my grandmother a genius? 2014-09-05 10:27:01

At 9/5/14 10:24 AM, xXSp1cyN1njaXx wrote: maybe she's dyslexic

She never learned how to read, she left school to go work when she was like, 6 or 7.

BBS Signature

Response to Is my grandmother a genius? 2014-09-05 10:41:32

At 9/5/14 10:27 AM, Radaketor wrote:
She never learned how to read, she left school to go work when she was like, 6 or 7.

so you're telling me she didn't not learn how to read basic English at age 7. leaving school has nothing to do with dyslexia

BBS Signature

Response to Is my grandmother a genius? 2014-09-05 10:42:45

At 9/5/14 10:32 AM, Monster-64 wrote: Better grandma then mine: when I visited her, all she could talk about was church church church and on how I need to be a good Christian boy by giving me pointless anecdotes and analogies.

i wanna see your grandma meet bill nye.

whats that guy up to now a days anyways

I am a FAB

BBS Signature

Response to Is my grandmother a genius? 2014-09-05 10:49:38

At 9/5/14 10:41 AM, xXSp1cyN1njaXx wrote:
At 9/5/14 10:27 AM, Radaketor wrote:
so you're telling me she didn't not learn how to read basic English at age 7. leaving school has nothing to do with dyslexia

Seeing as i live in Portugal and we speak portuguese here, no... she didn't learn basic english at age 7, and donut is the name of a kind of food, it's not a basic english word that everyone should know.

BBS Signature

Response to Is my grandmother a genius? 2014-09-05 10:51:16

donut is the name of a kind of food, it's not a basic english word that everyone should know.

ive learned stupider shit in school

BBS Signature

Response to Is my grandmother a genius? 2014-09-05 10:52:44

At 9/5/14 10:51 AM, xXSp1cyN1njaXx wrote:
donut is the name of a kind of food, it's not a basic english word that everyone should know.
ive learned stupider shit in school

School teaches people a lot of stupid/incorrect shit, i wouldn't be surprised.

BBS Signature

Response to Is my grandmother a genius? 2014-09-05 12:06:01

At 9/5/14 10:49 AM, Radaketor wrote: Seeing as i live in Portugal and we speak portuguese here, no... she didn't learn basic english at age 7, and donut is the name of a kind of food, it's not a basic english word that everyone should know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QvhCDsFkk0

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Is my grandmother a genius? 2014-09-05 12:07:29

At 9/5/14 12:06 PM, Kwing wrote:
At 9/5/14 10:49 AM, Radaketor wrote: Seeing as i live in Portugal and we speak portuguese here, no... she didn't learn basic english at age 7, and donut is the name of a kind of food, it's not a basic english word that everyone should know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QvhCDsFkk0

EXACTLY!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Is my grandmother a genius? 2014-09-05 12:17:05

At 9/5/14 12:07 PM, xXSp1cyN1njaXx wrote:
At 9/5/14 12:06 PM, Kwing wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QvhCDsFkk0
EXACTLY!!!

But why would he assume i'm a native english speaker though?

BBS Signature

Response to Is my grandmother a genius? 2014-09-05 12:19:56

At 9/5/14 12:17 PM, Radaketor wrote:
At 9/5/14 12:07 PM, xXSp1cyN1njaXx wrote:
At 9/5/14 12:06 PM, Kwing wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QvhCDsFkk0
EXACTLY!!!
But why would he assume i'm a native english speaker though?

im talking about your grandmother being denied doughnut education

BBS Signature

Response to Is my grandmother a genius? 2014-09-05 12:23:23

At 9/5/14 12:19 PM, xXSp1cyN1njaXx wrote: im talking about your grandmother being denied doughnut education

Fine, why did you assume she was a native english speaker?

BBS Signature

Response to Is my grandmother a genius? 2014-09-05 12:25:19

At 9/5/14 12:23 PM, Radaketor wrote:
At 9/5/14 12:19 PM, xXSp1cyN1njaXx wrote: im talking about your grandmother being denied doughnut education

I assumed she was a shark

BBS Signature

Response to Is my grandmother a genius? 2014-09-05 12:26:14

At 9/5/14 12:25 PM, xXSp1cyN1njaXx wrote:
At 9/5/14 12:23 PM, Radaketor wrote:
I assumed she was a shark

A shark isn't as vicious as her.

BBS Signature

Response to Is my grandmother a genius? 2014-09-05 12:28:18

so she's the kraken

BBS Signature

Response to Is my grandmother a genius? 2014-09-05 13:14:37

At 9/5/14 12:28 PM, xXSp1cyN1njaXx wrote:
so she's the kraken

Or a Sharktopus!
http://monster.wikia.com/wiki/File:Shark.jpg

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to Is my grandmother a genius? 2014-09-05 16:50:46

No, I do not think your grandmother is not a genius. She's also not illiterate.

If she were a genius, I would expect her to know how to read English fluently. Since she speaks and reads Portuguese, she has at least 1 language in her skill set, meaning she isn't illiterate either. Does she speak any languages other than Portuguese?

Also, one part of any standard IQ test does involve rotating shapes, recombining letters, and similar puzzles. But, figuring out that letters are similar to other letters when flipped upside down isn't particularly difficult by comparison.

Just an 02er.

Response to Is my grandmother a genius? 2014-09-05 16:54:49

At 9/5/14 04:50 PM, Profanity wrote: No, I do not think your grandmother is not a genius. She's also not illiterate.

If she were a genius, I would expect her to know how to read English fluently. Since she speaks and reads Portuguese, she has at least 1 language in her skill set, meaning she isn't illiterate either. Does she speak any languages other than Portuguese?

Also, one part of any standard IQ test does involve rotating shapes, recombining letters, and similar puzzles. But, figuring out that letters are similar to other letters when flipped upside down isn't particularly difficult by comparison.

The thing is she she was never thought how to read nor write since she left school at a very young age, she can speak portuguese but she can't write or read it, that's why i was surprised.

BBS Signature

Response to Is my grandmother a genius? 2014-09-05 16:59:23

At 9/5/14 04:50 PM, Profanity wrote: Does she speak any languages other than Portuguese?

Sorry for the double post.
She can understand a bit of castellano (spanish) because her hometown was close to Spain but other than that i don't think she understands any other dialect.

BBS Signature

Response to Is my grandmother a genius? 2014-09-05 17:13:07

Maybe, then.

It's very difficult for the brain to pick up new languages later in life. It's even more difficult for the brain to connect written language to spoken language as you age.

She demonstrated some literacy to you. Maybe that's evidence enough to support her developing some reading skills. And it should be evidence enough that she wants to connect with you through written language. You could try introducing some word games into your discussions. Anything that gradually forces her to sound out words, then sentences, then longform.

If she were adamant about wanting to become more literate, you could ask a doctor to help. Some anticonvulsant medications given to epileptics have been proven to reenable easy language learning in adults, pick up new instruments, and gain perfect pitch.

Just an 02er.

Response to Is my grandmother a genius? 2014-09-05 18:03:21

It's difficult to say. I would just say we have inadequate information to draw a conclusion.

She grew up in a different time period and did not have access to the kinds of education we have today, but lack of education does not mean lack of intelligence. Based on the information presented, there isn't enough info to say.

For example, some child born in a remote tribe in Africa somewhere may in fact be a genius, but no one would ever know because that child never had the opportunities to advance beyond their environment and certainly did not receive what we would think of as an education.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Is my grandmother a genius? 2014-09-05 18:05:11

Sounds like she made a joke at your expense and you only just figured it out. Trolling grandmas are the best.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Is my grandmother a genius? 2014-09-05 18:13:00

why the fuck do you think that reading a word flipped upside down makes someone a genius? do you also think that anyone who can wipe their ass is a mensa member?

Response to Is my grandmother a genius? 2014-09-05 18:20:32

At 9/5/14 06:13 PM, DeIirium wrote: why the fuck do you think that reading a word flipped upside down makes someone a genius? do you also think that anyone who can wipe their ass is a mensa member?

Do you think that a guy who's never fired a gun before and suddenly snipes a guy 10km away isn't talented?

BBS Signature