New Topic Respond to this Topic
BigRedStudios
BigRedStudios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Creating Music and sounds for games 2014-09-03 01:30:51 Reply

Deos anyone out there know good tutorials on how to compose music and sounds for games?

pit80
pit80
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Creating Music and sounds for games 2014-09-03 02:14:46 Reply

At 9/3/14 01:30 AM, BigRedStudios wrote: Deos anyone out there know good tutorials on how to compose music and sounds for games?

Well, just install music maker app. (FL, CUBASE, IT, MPT, RENOISE and et.c.) and create your tracks )) GOOD LUCK!

samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Creating Music and sounds for games 2014-09-03 02:25:03 Reply

Composing music for games ia an enormous topic and I don't think it can be adequately summed up in a single tutorial doing any justice to it. I suggest you start by making music that you enjoy making and see where you go from there. I wrote a bit about the role of music and sounds in a game, but that's more for a developer's point of view. As far as learning to write music for games, that's an enormously long endeavour that includes tons of practice, research, listening, and slow improvement.

If you already have a few years of writing music behind you and want to get music IN games, that's another story. I recommend putting your music on NG first off, using the collabinator, participating in contests and being active in the NGAP community, and doing every game jam you can find on the internet. Just be careful about people asking you to do large amounts of work for free. Remember: regardless of how good or bad you are, your time is valuable. :)

Sounds is a bit different of a topic. Sound design requires a good ear and a willingness to explore and combine sounds at will. I suggest you mosey on over to freesound.org or open up some synths and filters in your DAW, come up with an imaginary "shopping list" of sounds you want to make (e.g. dinosaur stomp, bow twang, orc roar, etc.) and see what you can do with the sounds you can find and manipulate to get the effect you need. Sometimes you have to combine dozens of sounds or have massive chains of filters just to get the "right" sound.

My Music - Virtual Instruments - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
Deshiel
Deshiel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Creating Music and sounds for games 2014-09-04 06:42:44 Reply

If you want to make music for games, first you have to learn how to make universal music.
You need to gain certain dexterity that comes with hours and hours of practice.

I wanted to make music for games from my start, but from the very beginning I couldn't come up with anything sensuous or creative. I practiced not only by creating my own music but also by listening to and debating with many other musicians here on newgrounds. Listening to your favorite bands and music also works.

whitechocolate227
whitechocolate227
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Creating Music and sounds for games 2014-09-06 21:07:39 Reply

At 9/3/14 01:30 AM, BigRedStudios wrote: Deos anyone out there know good tutorials on how to compose music and sounds for games?

I've been making music for about half a decade now, if you'd like I could try my hand at doing it for you. I'm told quite a lot of my music is video-game-esque. we'd just need to talk it out before I could go at it.

eatmeatleet
eatmeatleet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Creating Music and sounds for games 2014-09-07 11:08:27 Reply

This comes to mind
https://www.youtube.com/user/zirconst/videos
Also this guy. Most of his vids are film scoring but you should find useful:
https://www.youtube.com/user/letspretendxc0re/videos

BBS Signature