pftq
pftq
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Blank Slate
What To Use For Bass/kick In Ewql? 2014-08-30 20:30:45 Reply

I've been stuck on this for some time. What do you normally use for bass/kick if you're using a library for EWQL? In my past songs, I've usually used piano, bass wagner drums which only work if the song is going for the more epic feel, or some instrument like the Chilean Bombo, which I doubt is the norm. <_<

Here's a song I'm working on that I think probably needs something driving the beat more, but I can't figure out what the instrument should be.

• Polterghost (Theme)
    Polterghost (Theme) by pftq

A light-hearted song for a Leap Motion game I'm helping develop.

Score
    4.12 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Video Game
    Popularity

At the moment, I'm using a double bass and some very light layering from the Chilean Bombo for the 1 and 3 beats.

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to What To Use For Bass/kick In Ewql? 2014-08-30 21:05:51 Reply

At 8/30/14 08:30 PM, pftq wrote: What do you normally use for bass/kick if you're using a library for EWQL?

Which library?!

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
pftq
pftq
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to What To Use For Bass/kick In Ewql? 2014-08-30 21:07:04 Reply

At 8/30/14 09:05 PM, MetalRenard wrote:
At 8/30/14 08:30 PM, pftq wrote: What do you normally use for bass/kick if you're using a library for EWQL?
Which library?!

Sorry, typo. :P Meant library like EWQL (East West Quantum Leap).

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to What To Use For Bass/kick In Ewql? 2014-08-30 21:41:24 Reply

No... EWQL makes libraries but it isn't a library in of itself. So which one? Symphonic Orchestra? Stormdrum? ...

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
pftq
pftq
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to What To Use For Bass/kick In Ewql? 2014-08-30 21:45:48 Reply

At 8/30/14 09:41 PM, MetalRenard wrote: No... EWQL makes libraries but it isn't a library in of itself. So which one? Symphonic Orchestra? Stormdrum? ...

Ah got it. I misunderstood your question. I'm using the Symphonic Orchestra, Stormdrum 2, Silk, Ra, Gypsy, Choirs, Piano, and Ministry of Rock.

Thanks!

samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to What To Use For Bass/kick In Ewql? 2014-08-30 23:28:13 Reply

It hugely depends on what kind of music you are doing.

There are some drumkits you can use in Goliath and a few others if that's the vibe what you want. You may need to make the bass drum punchier depending on your musical needs.

You can use one of the two bass drums at high velocity in EWQLSO if you are doing more actiony-cinematic stuff. Stormdrum has tons of boomy bass drums to try out too, that are ideal for actiony-cinematic. The drums supplied in EWQL lend themselves more to a cinematic vibe, but not quite as much as stormdrum.

For classical, either use a mid-velocity bass drum or timpani playing along with the bassline, and possibly in conjunction with tubas, bass trombone, contrabasses, contrabassoons, or any mixture thereof. Of course, in a classical context, drums normally do not function as a rhythm section as we know it, so it's more used for rolls and hits and stuff like that.

My Music - Virtual Instruments - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to What To Use For Bass/kick In Ewql? 2014-08-30 23:29:49 Reply

In general though, it doesn't depend on what people normally use. You should use what sounds good to your ears and what feels good to your heart, seriously. :)

My Music - Virtual Instruments - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to What To Use For Bass/kick In Ewql? 2014-08-31 03:17:26 Reply

For cinematic, Godzilla hits in Stormdrum 2 has the best "big" percussion.
For rock or other genres there's a drum kit somewhere...

BBS Signature
pftq
pftq
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to What To Use For Bass/kick In Ewql? 2014-08-31 05:21:40 Reply

I'm aware of the bass drums and godzilla hits. They come off as a bit too epic-sounding though. I don't think they would fit at in something lighter like the example in the first post.

I guess it would help to have an example. The style I was trying to go for would be the background music in something like the Sims here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j86XDRVhIEE&index=7

The closest I found so far is the Chilean Bombo, but it still comes off as a bit too sharp.

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to What To Use For Bass/kick In Ewql? 2014-08-31 06:35:23 Reply

You didn't read my post properly. I said there's a drum kit. What you're hearing in that Sims track is a drum kit, i.e. snare, kick drum, hi-hat etc. and Stormdrum 2 has a kit. It's a bit too "metal" but if that's all you have then that is what you'll have to work with. If you have cash to spare then buy Steven Slate Drums, Superior Drummer, Studio drummer, or something. You're looking for a jazz kit if you want that soft, unprocessed acoustic sound.

The kit inStormdrum 2 is called: Black Kit Basic MOR (standing for Ministry of Rock). I don't personally use it because I have better but it might fill the gap for you while you wait.

BBS Signature
drumdude
drumdude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to What To Use For Bass/kick In Ewql? 2014-08-31 06:57:14 Reply

If you don't have the money to buy one of the kits that Renard mentions, DrumMic'a is a nice free alternative.

Just go to this link http://de-de.sennheiser.com/drummica , and mouseover the DrumMic'a tab --> Info and Downloads. I don't know German, but I'm like 95% sure it works in the free Kontakt player.

It's not the best drum VI in the world, but it's very good considering that it's free

drumdude
drumdude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to What To Use For Bass/kick In Ewql? 2014-08-31 07:01:48 Reply

Aaaannnndd, I totally forgot you need to register for the activation code. (sorry for the double post)

Just mouseover the same DrumMic'a tab and click Registrierung. Weiter=next.
None of the info needs to be real except for your email, and you don't have to click any of the "on/off" tabs if you don't want.

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to What To Use For Bass/kick In Ewql? 2014-08-31 07:13:18 Reply

Ah yeah, I forgot about that one. It's probably the best free virtual drum kit. :)

BBS Signature
pftq
pftq
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to What To Use For Bass/kick In Ewql? 2014-08-31 07:29:26 Reply

Awesome. Yeah I agree the drumkits in MOR sound too metallic. Those suggestions were perfect. I wasn't sure if it was me not using the libraries well enough or there were others I should check out. Thanks!

KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to What To Use For Bass/kick In Ewql? 2014-08-31 13:10:51 Reply

In Stormdrum 2, the Earthquake Ensemble is the best bass percussion ever. You can hear that everywhere in Bourne Ultimatum.

pftq
pftq
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to What To Use For Bass/kick In Ewql? 2014-08-31 17:16:50 Reply

At 8/31/14 01:10 PM, KatMaestro wrote: In Stormdrum 2, the Earthquake Ensemble is the best bass percussion ever. You can hear that everywhere in Bourne Ultimatum.

Thanks - I actually haven't heard that one. EWQL doesn't really make it easy to browse their sounds with the load time being so long on each instrument lol

KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to What To Use For Bass/kick In Ewql? 2014-08-31 19:06:00 Reply

At 8/31/14 05:16 PM, pftq wrote: Thanks - I actually haven't heard that one. EWQL doesn't really make it easy to browse their sounds with the load time being so long on each instrument lol

Basically their PLAY engine = Kontakt rip-off.

DivoFST
DivoFST
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to What To Use For Bass/kick In Ewql? 2014-08-31 19:11:45 Reply

At 8/31/14 06:57 AM, drumdude wrote: If you don't have the money to buy one of the kits that Renard mentions, DrumMic'a is a nice free alternative.

Just go to this link http://de-de.sennheiser.com/drummica , and mouseover the DrumMic'a tab --> Info and Downloads. I don't know German, but I'm like 95% sure it works in the free Kontakt player.

It's not the best drum VI in the world, but it's very good considering that it's free

Indeed! After i used DrumMic'a it became my instant go to drum, and it does work on free Kontakt!

No mather how good you are sometime, somewhere, somehow...
Someone will blow your mind and make feel a beginner again..

BBS Signature