00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Thrll just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

I got another dead game from Ebay.

876 Views | 21 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Can it be brought back to life?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YK5-3yAklk

If anyone can help me out i'd greatly appreciate it. As I said already the seller reimbursed me in full. When I buy stuff on ebay and the item doesn't work I tell the seller that if they want this item back they will have to pay for the shipping. Obviously many sellers are not testing cartridges that they own and are just assuming they work. But as I said earlier,

I'd like to know if there's a way to bring this cartridge back to life even if I was refunded because I felt the seller wasted my time by sending me a game cartridge that seems unfixable. I cleaned this with rubbing alcohol, eraser method, and even the blowing method that sometimes can bring dead games back to life. From this video you can obviously neither of these methods worked too well. Don't knock the blowing method even tho some people claim it harms the cartridge because I've bought games in the past that didn't work on the first try even after I cleaned them with rubbing alcohol and then when I blew in it, it came back to life permanently.

Some people claim its how the contacts are going into the console that determines if the game will play and not the actual blowing but i feel that is a myth.The reason I feel that is a myth is because I've test that theory by taking the game out and putting it back in several times and a game won't start until i blow on the contacts of the cartridge.

Jesus Christ the one True God of Love and Peace.

Response to I got another dead game from Ebay. 2014-08-29 19:40:57

ebay ebay ebay ebay ebay ebay ebay

I got another dead game from Ebay.

BBS Signature

Response to I got another dead game from Ebay. 2014-08-29 19:46:16

At 8/29/14 07:40 PM, Sword-of-Kings wrote: ebay ebay ebay ebay ebay ebay ebay

Obviously I been running into bad sellers lately, but don't know why. Am I unlucky lately? I have had discussions with god lately and have cursed at god. i am wondering if this is some type of punishment from god or just coincidence. I don't even know if god is real or not even tho I talk to what I believe to be the creator of life when I jog. I get upset about all the wars, abortions, and drugs on this planet. It just shocks me a bit because only about 3 or 4 months ago I was buying games without any problems with them. I am trying to figure out why all of a sudden there seems to be a ton of broken games on ebay.

Response to I got another dead game from Ebay. 2014-08-29 19:57:07

At 8/29/14 07:53 PM, SCTE3 wrote: Not much advice I can give on an NES cartridge.

As for ebay sellers:

1. How much have they sold over time?
2. What is their rating?
3. How many positive reviews do they tend to get?

Try to ask yourself that stuff before buying, will help in the long run.

The rating system is flawed on ebay because i noticed people with 100 percent, 99 percent, and 98 percent still sell broken items.

Response to I got another dead game from Ebay. 2014-08-29 20:13:03

At 8/29/14 07:46 PM, TheKlown wrote: Am I unlucky lately?

Probably. I've only been fucked on eBay once. I got two NES Max controllers and one didn't work.

BBS Signature

Response to I got another dead game from Ebay. 2014-08-29 20:14:31

Ebait.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to I got another dead game from Ebay. 2014-08-29 21:34:50

At 8/29/14 07:57 PM, TheKlown wrote: The rating system is flawed on ebay because i noticed people with 100 percent, 99 percent, and 98 percent still sell broken items.

No it isn't. Selling broken items doesn't matter, it's how they respond to it. Message them describing the probllem and ask for a replacement or a refund before leaving feedback.

Response to I got another dead game from Ebay. 2014-08-29 21:55:25

:Resident Evil guy

No it isn't. Selling broken items doesn't matter, it's how they respond to it. Message them describing the probllem and ask for a replacement or a refund before leaving feedback.

I know this already but it's a hassle sometimes and sometimes the seller is obnoxious to deal with. They'll lie to me and say "Well, the game was working when we tested it". So they'll continue to say its on my end just to be asshats. And after me begging them to do the right thing and refund me it's not like I can leave feedback to warn users about how obnoxious it is to deal with sellers. That is why it's flawed in my opinion.

Response to I got another dead game from Ebay. 2014-08-30 00:44:04

LOL, I think I partially brought it back to life but the cartridge is still defective. I think it now works atleast temporarily and the graphics are a bit muddy looking. It's hard to explain but it's definitely not how its suppose to look because I've seen video of it running on youtube. The text is still screwed up and barely readable like some wheres on the cartridge something had gotten ruined. I used sandpaper with some alcohol on it and carefully sanded some of the dirt off it. I think thats why it might be playing now. However I don't know where to exactly sand at next to see if I can stop it from creating the Muddy graphics. This is becoming a huge project now, but my ass is too cheap to pay 7-8 bucks for a good condition cartridge of this game.

Response to I got another dead game from Ebay. 2014-08-30 18:36:34

At 8/30/14 04:17 AM, Captain-Slugworth wrote: I love the fact you dislike Ebay
yet you keep coming back for more, just to get ripped off.

Where else am I suppose to get Old Nes Cartridges from? I don't know of any retro stores near me and I'm sure retro stores are probably even more expensive to buy from.

Response to I got another dead game from Ebay. 2014-08-31 09:11:00

At 8/30/14 06:36 PM, TheKlown wrote:
Where else am I suppose to get Old Nes Cartridges from? I don't know of any retro stores near me and I'm sure retro stores are probably even more expensive to buy from.

Ever heard of amazon?

till we overdose

Response to I got another dead game from Ebay. 2014-08-31 12:29:06

It is the contacts. And if a lot of games aren't working with your NES it *might* just be your NES. Try playing a game through a Game Genie and if it works that way but not directly through the NES then it is your NES. There's a chance the games might be perfectly fine.

Also lol at thinking blowing on it will fix what cleaning or replacing contacts won't. Protip -- it won't. Placebo effect. You could instead put it in and out a few times and, by chance, one of the times it'd work. Also you could try a toploader NES as those are known to have fewer troubles reading cartridges although they have issues of their own.

Other places you can get NES games other than eBay? Try all of the following
- Craigslist
- Garage sales
- Pawn shops
- Thrift stores
- Flea markets
- Asking around

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to I got another dead game from Ebay. 2014-08-31 15:39:00

Time to add a new rule to that drinking game.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to I got another dead game from Ebay. 2014-08-31 16:05:28

I repair games like that for fun. Alcohol can actually damage the metal components of the cartridge. Despite people like AVGN showing how to clean them, The tried and true way I clean them is with a Q-tip gently dampened. If you do open them, you can check the circuitry to make sure there's no gaps. (Only do this if you know how to tell if circuits have damage.

ON the video, you've mildly caused liquid corruption where moisture seals the gap between the copper points on the cartridge. Blowing into it probably won't help as it just redistributes the vapors.

In the past, I've noticed certain games from companies simply don't work well. Codemasters, Milton bradley (Made abadox and your game) and Jalico seem to have a higher amount of corruption possibilities.

I had a copy of Rad Gravity that was so badly corrupted that you could play it, but attacking gave you damage.

Best advice, clean the entire thing with a Dry Q-tip, no alcohol Open it up and carefully look over it. and contact your E-bay seller. Only buy from the ones that claim to have playtested it.
I sell things on Amazon and try to play test them unless I don't have the system.

Birds Born in a cage think Flying is an illness - Alejandro Jodorowsky

BBS Signature

Response to I got another dead game from Ebay. 2014-09-01 01:23:45

I have an update and its not a good one. The game is still a piece of crap and the only time I can get it to work is if I blow in it over 20 or 30 times real hard. The sanding method didn't fix it at all. I am guessing that my Father is correct when he says something inside the cartridge other than the contacts might have gone. I still get the weird text and muddy graphics too. Only reason I'm keeping this case is just incase I end up buying this game again in the future and decide to switch out the game's motherboard part into the cleaner looking cartridge. Not too sure I want this game in my collection anyways. It's not a bad game but what I've played of it makes me think it's not a game I should rush out and get again.

Response to I got another dead game from Ebay. 2014-09-01 13:15:59

Are you sure your NES is clean and functional? Have you cleaned or replaced the 72 pin connector recently? I find it hard to believe you coukd end up with multiple faulty NES games, they're nearly invincible.

Response to I got another dead game from Ebay. 2014-09-01 14:28:12

How about emulators? You want to play it on a tv, connect your computer to a tv. It's a lot less expensive

Response to I got another dead game from Ebay. 2014-09-01 15:21:38

Honestly I think weird al says it the best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKtlK7sn0JQ

Response to I got another dead game from Ebay. 2014-09-01 17:02:58

At 9/1/14 01:15 PM, Jackho wrote: Are you sure your NES is clean and functional? Have you cleaned or replaced the 72 pin connector recently? I find it hard to believe you coukd end up with multiple faulty NES games, they're nearly invincible.

I own over 70 nes games that work perfectly fine on my Nes. LOL, at being my Nes.

Response to I got another dead game from Ebay. 2014-09-01 17:05:02

At 9/1/14 02:28 PM, WrightOnTarget wrote:
How about emulators? You want to play it on a tv, connect your computer to a tv. It's a lot less expensive

Emulation is disgusting word. Emulation will never give the same feeling as it does playing on a real original Nintendo. You feel like a kid again playing on an original Nintendo. That and doesn't Emulators usually have sound issues and other graphical problems since its Emulating.

Response to I got another dead game from Ebay. 2014-09-01 17:13:22

At 9/1/14 05:05 PM, TheKlown wrote:
Emulation is disgusting word. Emulation will never give the same feeling as it does playing on a real original Nintendo. You feel like a kid again playing on an original Nintendo. That and doesn't Emulators usually have sound issues and other graphical problems since its Emulating.

Maybe, I don't know. I kinda go with the times and move on because I'm not a child anymore, so I try to act like the adult I am. I barely even game anymore, usually too busy working on my photography career. But when I do, I try to play games that actually engage me rather than trying to recapture my childhood, which I accept is gone. Time moves on. Sure, I'll play older games, but ones that hold up because of their engaging content, not just out of nostalgia.

Don't seek to be a kid again, or you're gonna be treated like one. If you're literally losing money getting screwed with dead cartridges, give it up and emulate. Or work on a career.

Response to I got another dead game from Ebay. 2014-09-01 22:46:44

I have already listed you different ways of shopping for games on the Internet in a different EBay thread. So here we go again...

1. Amazon
2. Local Retro Game Stores (some ship to you if you can find them)
3. Flea Markets and Yard Sales

EBay is a horrible site to buy video games on. You could do even better on Craigslist for fucks sake.