00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

nuggetior just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

On opening for commission. Advice?

717 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hey all,
I've kind of reached a point with my artwork where i would feel comfortable selling out commissions, but i didn't just want to be throwing my stuff out there shouting "BUY ART GUYS!" Given this sentiment i figured i'd throw out a thread to see if anyone else has experience in this sort of matter, or to see if there was a better thread to check out rather than making my own.
Any body have tips, trick or tales of precaution? Sell a lot of digital of analog art? Examples of business models that work well? I'm really interested in hearing what i can on the subject.

Thanks for hearin me out and posting guys.
-Leaky

On opening for commission. Advice?

Response to On opening for commission. Advice? 2014-08-28 15:48:18

At 8/28/14 02:31 PM, leakyduck wrote: Hey all,
I've kind of reached a point with my artwork where i would feel comfortable selling out commissions, but i didn't just want to be throwing my stuff out there shouting "BUY ART GUYS!" Given this sentiment i figured i'd throw out a thread to see if anyone else has experience in this sort of matter, or to see if there was a better thread to check out rather than making my own.
Any body have tips, trick or tales of precaution? Sell a lot of digital of analog art? Examples of business models that work well? I'm really interested in hearing what i can on the subject.

Thanks for hearin me out and posting guys.
-Leaky

Ok, why not.

-Give your potential customers an idea of the product you can deliver. Be honest with them.
-Have a price list. Things like 3$ for a sketch or 20$ for a full painting. Look at the prices other artists demand for their work and use them as a margin for your own price.
-Have "commission slots". They are a a sort of "schedule" for you. The total number of commissions you are willing to do at a given time. For example, when you have 3 "slots" and 2 people want to commission you, they take up 2 slots. That means that 1 more person can commission you and until the work if done, these slots will be taken and other will have to wait. How many clients you can work for at once depends on your skill and free time. Evaluate your current situation and skill. Open a couple of "slots" and perhaps open more if you can work for more clients.
-Communication is key. Good service is just as important as the product. Communicate with your commissioner, ask him for feedback and suggestions, give him regular and common updates and be generally nice. Unpersonal commissions are just that: Unpersonal...and forgettable. They commission you, they receive and forget about you. Personal service will make you remembered (positively).
-Be prepared for the worst case.It will happen: You cannot keep the timeframe, the product doesn't end up being what the commissioner asked for, the commissioner may be a giant pissant, the list goes on. When it happens: Don't freak out. Do not do something you may regret afterwards. Commissions, regardless if they are between friends, strangers or professional business partners, must be taken care of in a professional manner. If the working environment becomes too stressful or hostile for you (by the commissioner asking for a miracle to happen in a minute or him constantly shitting on you), you can still drop out and tell him to find someone else. The person may not want to commission you again anytime soon, but you probalby won't want him as a customer again anyways.
-Don't drop your standarts. There will be requests of some really weird stuff every now and then. If you aren't confortable with drawing guro for someone, don't do it.
-Have fun! It's not a profession, you want to draw stuff for people that are willing to support your efforts. If it's no longer fun for you, you can stop at any time. :)

---------| You're welcome |----------

Response to On opening for commission. Advice? 2014-08-28 16:44:22

- and only start working after you received your payment.

BBS Signature

Response to On opening for commission. Advice? 2014-08-28 17:10:59

Hi i saw this video a while ago. Maybe it's useful to you. It explains some aspects of the trade that can
be added to the @BazookaBonsai post.

This is video from Jazza's youtube channel.
How to make MONEY with your art! (Content monetization)

Response to On opening for commission. Advice? 2014-08-28 19:11:19

Thanks guys for all the practical advice. I didn't know if i'd get any responses let alone the treasure trove above. This gives me a jumping off point to hopefully get a small side income going, and inflates my confidence a smidge in the process. lookin forward to posting some future commisions and og art for you all.

Plus I'mma leave this thread open for other advice maybe some others wanna share their two cents as well.