New Topic Respond to this Topic
Conal
Conal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
I want the perfect 7.1 surround!!! 2014-08-27 23:07:24 Reply

Okay, so here's the deal; I'm earning money. One thing I love is music, put that together & I want something to enjoy audio with.

I am looking to utilize 7.1 surround fully. I want some super big speakers for front L & R, a massive sub-woofer (the kind you put in cars to break up the road) to go underneath the desk & what ever you suggest for the centre and side speakers.

I would prefer them to all be using the same power source & they must connect to all the audio ports of a computer (I have the typical on-board audio with 6 ports).

Any help would be appreciated, here's the desk that I've just thrown together; the blue light things are speakers with a sub-woofer, the white thing with a red light is a Blue Snowball microphone:

I want the perfect 7.1 surround!!!

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
MattBat27
MattBat27
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to I want the perfect 7.1 surround!!! 2014-08-28 03:49:37 Reply

Go look up surround sound studios, pictures of them, specs, the works. Those things are what you're looking for, not a small room with a big sub woofer and ambient lighting. 7.1 literally means you have 7 speakers around a acoustically treated room (a specialized studio of course) that are mixed into and panned out to those 7 speakers in specific increments and the .1 (LFE, aka low frequency extension). What you are trying to do isn't possible in a bedroom. Acoustically, technologically, sonically, etc. etc. Not trying to bust your bubble with this, but this is intense sound design stuff.

etelik
etelik
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to I want the perfect 7.1 surround!!! 2014-08-28 04:32:10 Reply

At 8/28/14 03:49 AM, MattBat27 wrote: Go look up surround sound studios....

^ This, AND the MUSIC or whatever you want to enjoy on it has to be mixed on 7.1
Else it won't work out.

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to I want the perfect 7.1 surround!!! 2014-08-28 04:37:08 Reply

7.1 surround sound systems are meant for home entertainment systems... like... personal theaters.

Music is stereo, no one mixes their music with 7 speakers in mind. Just get a couple decent speakers and a sub. 7.1 just for music is a complete waste of money.

But if you wanna waste your money on it, go for it.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: Things and stuff - Music: Final Destination (Loop) - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
LunyAlex
LunyAlex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Musician
Response to I want the perfect 7.1 surround!!! 2014-08-28 06:34:35 Reply

At 8/28/14 04:37 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: 7.1 surround sound systems are meant for home entertainment systems... like... personal theaters.

Music is stereo, no one mixes their music with 7 speakers in mind. Just get a couple decent speakers and a sub. 7.1 just for music is a complete waste of money.

But if you wanna waste your money on it, go for it.

Pretty much this, sadly.

99% of music is Stereo.
Usually the Sound Card can fake surround sound, but personally I've found this to wield horrible results.
(Usually it removes parts of the stereo field, distributes them to the speakers, adds a few ms of delay and ...that's it.)

Even if it does work without any artifacts or without destroying the overall soundscape, it's still a poorer/faker rendition of stereo than what two quality speakers and a subwoofer could produce.