• 17 Replies
xeroforhire
xeroforhire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
audio producers/writers wanted 2014-08-27 23:05:42

I'm about to start writing the next instalment for the audio show "The Last Day", and I need to team up with 2 other producers and writers who are experienced in teh superhero field, as the story will begin moving in that direction this season.

Writers will be working with me directly on the plot development, based on the major arcs that I have planned.

Producers will be taught how the show's format works, and given the freedom to bring the script to life, as well as have access to my library of SFX.

Everyone will be credited for their work, and will be allowed to use those credentials for future reference.

If you are unfamiliar with the show, please visit www.thelastdayaudio.blogspot.com for more details or email me at jashaeslaughter (at) gmail (dot) com.

I hope to hear from you soon,
Shae

Conal
Conal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to audio producers/writers wanted 2014-08-27 23:21:37

Hey, I'm up for writing the notes.

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
SoundChris
SoundChris
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to audio producers/writers wanted 2014-08-28 05:02:57

Is this project commercially used or just non profit? What are your goals you personally want to reach wit it? Is there a budget and if so how much is it? What genre are you looking of? Cinematic tracks or what?

• Sorcerers Path - Cale Unleashe
    Sorcerers Path - Cale Unleashe by SoundChris

Cinematic Boss Battle Loop + intro for the game Sorcerers Path

Score
    5.00 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Cinematic
    Popularity

Just to know what would be needed in general so i could think about it. Peace!

xeroforhire
xeroforhire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to audio producers/writers wanted 2014-08-28 12:29:36

At 8/28/14 05:02 AM, SoundChris wrote: Is this project commercially used or just non profit? What are your goals you personally want to reach wit it? Is there a budget and if so how much is it? What genre are you looking of? Cinematic tracks or what?
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/586058
Just to know what would be needed in general so i could think about it. Peace!

1. Well, I'm hoping to prepare a commercial product this season. i say that because i want to have the option to sell it online IF I WANT TO. the Origins series is non-commercial by default due to the agreements i made when i borrowed music for it.

2. If you're unfimiliar with the show, then you need to go to the website and familiarize yourself with it. i think i mentioned that part.

3. I think my goals would be to take the show to the next level of Audio Drama. more popularity, better production and more interactivity all means more success (commercial or non). Again refer to #2. There are many Audio Drama Circles out there that are building the niche.

4. The show has no budget right now, which is why I'd like to work with 2 other producers. it's a common mistake in audio drama and in comics for one guy to try to carry the entire workload. I think I've proven that I can put together a decent show. now i want to put together a production that can grow on the foundations I've built.

any other questions, email me.
thx,
Shae

xeroforhire
xeroforhire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to audio producers/writers wanted 2014-08-28 12:31:07

At 8/27/14 11:21 PM, Conal wrote: Hey, I'm up for writing the notes.

please send me an email with your contact info, and I'll try to conference with you as soon as I can put this production team together.

thx,
Shae

jaysummers759885
jaysummers759885
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to audio producers/writers wanted 2014-08-28 14:40:51

I am curious if this a pay to play gig, or if you intend of paying said musicians for their work?

xeroforhire
xeroforhire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to audio producers/writers wanted 2014-08-28 14:43:13

So, i just had a conversation with a guy who sent me this video, right off the bat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE

So lemme be clear on this issue. I believe that everyone deserves to be compensated for their work. But this is a volunteer collaboration with the HOPES of turning it into a paying gig. I do production work for some of the ppl who are doing VA in my show, and I try to promote them and help them get other gigs, but that because we believe in each other. That's what artists do. we help each other where we can.

not everybody has deep pockets, and the ppl who do are NOT looking for MERCS to work with. If you're appraoching a project with your palms out asking about money on the first date, then guess what: You're being a douche and I'm not gonna work with you. I'm not avoiding people who want to be paid, but I've got the interests of those who are willing to build a relationship in the interest of ART first.

so to the douche who sent me that video, and anyone else who might be looking for a job, GO GET A JOB, then look for art. I'm not an employer, and you can ask anyone on my team what it's like to work with me. we're all people with jobs and lives and careers and family and the last thing we need is a leech like you draining the life from the one thing we love.

xeroforhire
xeroforhire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to audio producers/writers wanted 2014-08-28 14:48:31

At 8/28/14 02:40 PM, jaysummers759885 wrote: I am curious if this a pay to play gig, or if you intend of paying said musicians for their work?

this is a volunteer gig. but like i said, I want to make it commercial, so there are royalty agreements that will be made for work when funds become available, but i don't discuss those things in the forum. right now, this is a hobby.

Ceevro
Ceevro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to audio producers/writers wanted 2014-08-28 15:25:16

Well, you just precluded me ever wanting to work with you. You want someone to work for free for you? And you feel that you get to call them douchebags for asking for payment for hours of work, thousands of dollars of equipment, and years and years of practise? Look, if you can't afford to pay, then your response should be, 'Sorry, but I can offer nothing more than potential royalties for this project, is anyone still willing to work for me, believing on blind faith that the money will come?' and not to insult people who have busted their asses perfecting their craft.

What's my experience with freebies been? Handed out permission to two YouTubers to use a song of mine each, with the request that they link me to the finished product to add to my portfolio. Can't contact them in any way now. Never got links. Wrote intro and background themes for two animators for free. After putting in a 12-hour-day recording music to the specs they wanted, they complained, and told me it didn't sound like (Song X) and I should make it sound exactly like that. I told them they should contact (Writer of Song X) and purchase the royalties to use (Song X) then. They said they didn't want to pay royalties to the person who actually wrote the song they wanted.

Meanwhile, a company approached me, asking for bumper music for their corporate presentations. They offered to pay me up front. Upon completion, they asked if it was possible to make a shortened version for transitions, which I easily did for them. Check came, project was used, and is still used today.

I have never had a successful "free" collaboration. The people who want to screw me out of money invariably screw me again, just as soon as they can. If you're doing something for fun, have at it. If you want me to work, then it's paid work. And if you don't like that, you'll find that the only artists who will work with you are the complete amateurs who do not know any better.

LunyAlex
LunyAlex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Musician
Response to audio producers/writers wanted 2014-08-28 15:41:47

At 8/28/14 02:43 PM, xeroforhire wrote: So, i just had a conversation with a guy who sent me this video, right off the bat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE

So lemme be clear on this issue. I believe that everyone deserves to be compensated for their work. But this is a volunteer collaboration with the HOPES of turning it into a paying gig. I do production work for some of the ppl who are doing VA in my show, and I try to promote them and help them get other gigs, but that because we believe in each other. That's what artists do. we help each other where we can.

not everybody has deep pockets, and the ppl who do are NOT looking for MERCS to work with. If you're appraoching a project with your palms out asking about money on the first date, then guess what: You're being a douche and I'm not gonna work with you. I'm not avoiding people who want to be paid, but I've got the interests of those who are willing to build a relationship in the interest of ART first.

so to the douche who sent me that video, and anyone else who might be looking for a job, GO GET A JOB, then look for art. I'm not an employer, and you can ask anyone on my team what it's like to work with me. we're all people with jobs and lives and careers and family and the last thing we need is a leech like you draining the life from the one thing we love.

Mercs?
Lol.

Get a Job?
Not your call.

This toxic mentality that art is a 3rd grade commodity that <Doesn't pay, deal with it, grow up and get a real job> is partly at fault for the sad reality that artists are seen as "for fun" workers.

It's an immensely hypocritical mentality, because everyone consumes art daily and would never choose to eliminate it from their lives, yet they see the creator as more disposable than the lowest grade workers.

I'm not saying that the person that PM'd you wasn't totally inappropriate about it, again, I don't know what happened there, but you're aiming hate at whom again, everyone that will only do paid work?

What vile, wretched human beings.

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to audio producers/writers wanted 2014-08-28 15:52:27

At 8/28/14 02:43 PM, xeroforhire wrote: so to the douche who sent me that video, and anyone else who might be looking for a job, GO GET A JOB, then look for art. I'm not an employer, and you can ask anyone on my team what it's like to work with me. we're all people with jobs and lives and careers and family and the last thing we need is a leech like you draining the life from the one thing we love.

You're a fucking idiot. This IS a job for many and you just proved that 1) you're extremely unprofessional and 2) you're very inexperienced.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to audio producers/writers wanted 2014-08-28 16:34:40

At 8/28/14 02:43 PM, xeroforhire wrote: So, i just had a conversation with a guy who sent me this video, right off the bat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE

1. This is called a business... the Audio Business. In a business, you pay people for goods or services. We are not leaches. We have careers to uphold and families to feed too, you know.

2. The people who focus on "art" first live in their parents basements or cardboard boxes. This is a business, and either you need to raise money to hire people or you need to lower your expectations. Only the greenest and youngest of composers would agree to work for free on a sizeable, continual project without serious proof that they will get paid well. Royalties in these sorts of things generally means enough to buy lunch one day, and I don't do 100 hours of work for free lunch, and nor would anyone who lives on their own like 90% of the world over 18.

3. "Networking" (a.k.a. you will tell all your friends who will do hours of hard work for free!), "Reputation" (a.k.a. you'll know who to go to for free work a.k.a. extortion!), "Exposure" (a.k.a. all two of your twitter followers!), "Popularity", and "future jobs" (a.k.a. more free work for you!) are not accepted forms of payment by anyone anywhere. Try again.

4. If you are going to be reasonable now, I suggest you go browse the existing works by composers on Newgrounds, which are available for use in non-commercial projects (i.e. projects you don't make any money from). This is great for young artists such as yourself that are looking to create works without running up the paycheck. If you ever decide to turn your project into a commercial project (i.e. run ads, sell it, whatever), you can then go and reasonably secure the rights to distribute the pieces with the porject non-commercially.

5. This is all without mentioning that we don't even know if you will get the job done. Every time a project a composer joins fails, it leaves them in a horrible spot- no pay, tons of random specific pieces they have to find a place for, a waste of several weeks if not months of work, and more. We need to know that you are truly serious and can produce something like this, an that it's not just a "dream" or a "hope", but a serious, committed investment of your time as well as one of ours.

My Music - Virtual Instruments - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
Ryuno074
Ryuno074
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to audio producers/writers wanted 2014-08-28 16:38:05

Lashing out at people expecting to be remunerated for using their time, experience and gear to make your dream come true sure will get others to want to do it for free. Good strategy.

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/ryunocore

Need custom music or SFX for your project? http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1361543

drumdude
drumdude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to audio producers/writers wanted 2014-08-28 17:44:05

What the hell happened to this website?? Ffs....

Every time a thread like this is made, a certain group of people (multiple who have made an appearance in this thread) charge in standing on their freaking pedestal and bash the OP.

This portal entire existence rests on the idea of providing free music to flash artists, game designers and whomever else wants it. As long as no one makes any money, no problemo. But if someone asks someone to make free music for their non commercial flash/game/novel/whatever, it's like the worst question anyone could ever ask.

If you are not interested, then is it really that hard to just ignore the thread? Why bother even posting anything? If music is a business to you, that's fine. Congrats. Seriously, congrats. But a significant majority of people on this site do not do this professionally. I certainly don't. I'm a med student ffs. But if I had the time to score an interesting sounding (non commercial) project, I would. Not for reputation, nor money, but just because I've never done it before and it would hopefully be a fun experience. All your replies end up doing is burying those who are legitimately interested and discouraging outside users from ever looking at the portal for future needs.

Also, am I the only person who can't seem to follow the rationale of musicians getting payed for non commercial projects? Assuming the flash artist/game designer doesn't get payed, or the VA, or anyone else, then why should the musician? Are we somehow more valuable than the rest of the people equally devoting their time and effort? Seriously, can someone explain this to me?

Most of these free projects are passion projects. People simply wanting to share their passion. If you are not as passionate about the particular project to freely do it, then again, why bother posting? I can understand posting questions or requesting more info, but simply posting to flame the OP seems like wasted space.

/rantmaybeover

P.S I'm not defending some of the things this particular OP has said, some of which has been poorly worded to say the least. I love this portal. It was my first exposure to the idea of amateurs making music and is a big reason why I make music today. I am simply stating what I believe is a disturbing and toxic trend on this forum and I really want it to end.

LunyAlex
LunyAlex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Musician
Response to audio producers/writers wanted 2014-08-28 17:58:23

At 8/28/14 05:44 PM, drumdude wrote: What the hell happened to this website?? Ffs....

Please note that OP only got slammed after he made a strongly derogatory post towards musicians that choose to do paid work.

Before that nobody even complained.
It's a key element to what happened in this thread.

I haven't been on NG for too long, but the only times I've seen musicians lashing out has been when OPs were asking for free work for commercial products (this is wrong on more of an ethical level than anything else).

Again, what happen here is an uproar against OPs statements. "Get a job"; "Mercs".
Not the fact that he was asking for free work on a passion project.

I'd also bet my left testicle that a significant majority of people here would LOVE to do this professionally, even if they don't. It would probably be a dream come true. It's just a very difficult market to penetrate, mostly because of the mentality OP showcased with his "Get a job" post, which unfortunately, too many people share.

Nobody here is offended by the idea of working for free on a non-commercial project.
>see everyone in this thread that has tracks uploaded on their account (That's the whole point of the audio portal, as you pointed out)

People here are offended by OP's insulting retort half way through the page.

drumdude
drumdude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to audio producers/writers wanted 2014-08-28 18:13:05

At 8/28/14 05:58 PM, LunyAlex wrote:
At 8/28/14 05:44 PM, drumdude wrote: What the hell happened to this website?? Ffs....
I haven't been on NG for too long, but the only times I've seen musicians lashing out has been when OPs were asking for free work for commercial products (this is wrong on more of an ethical level than anything else).

Honestly, this isn't what I've seen over the past year or so. I've seen many threads devolve into threads like this simply because some asks "is there pay?" and the reply is no (for a non commercial project). Heck, it wasn't even that long ago that I distinctly remember almost making a post just like my previous one, but choose to let it go.

Perhaps my post was premature and unwarranted in this particular thread, but I guess that's what makes "rants" rants.
If it was, I apologize, but I still believe it is something that the community needs to keep an eye on.

xeroforhire
xeroforhire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to audio producers/writers wanted 2014-08-28 19:15:31

Well, now I know how to get a response from ppl. just hit the passion button. First of all, let me point out, the first part of my "Rant" was because of the link i posted along with it. If you get a response in your email like that, then how can you NOT be razzed?

second, I'm not apologizing for what i said, because I used to be on the other side, jumping down the throats of those producers too. it's about knowing your limits and having tact. I don't know you from jack or joe and you're palms out without even talking to me first. that's cocky, kids. real cocky. Pros don't work that way.

If i were looking to hire someone, I would've used a word like "Hire" or "Pay", but I'm looking for collaboration, and I get met with some stupid video saying that I'm an A**hole.

So yeah.If you come to me acting like a jackass then i'm gonna treat you like one. Again, i don't talk about actual business on forums. In all my years dealing with other producers and engineers, I've never been approached that way. And now that I'm doing drama, i realize that there is a LOT of free work that has to be put out before you can start asking people to pay for your art. there's a trustthat needs to be built first.

Anyway, i just got done doing a demo reel for a friend (for free). it sounds pretty good. i do stuff like that all the time with ppl after we've made a relationship. perhaps you guys can understand what I'm saying later in time. I've probably hurt my chances at making friends on this site, but from the looks of it, I probably just weeded out the peeps i don't wanna deal with anyway.

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to audio producers/writers wanted 2014-08-28 19:20:28

So you attacked an entire demographic because 1 person linked you a YouTube video. That's really professional.

This disgusts me and clearly a lot of others. So I'm locking it before it becomes more toxic than it already is.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: Things and stuff - Music: Final Destination (Loop) - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature