00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TwistSSD just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Road of Solitude

397 Views | 2 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Road of Solitude 2014-08-25 18:09:31

Wrote a tiny story opening. Any comments and feedback of any sort on any aspect of the piece are highly appreciated. The basic premise is some guy, the "figure", has some serious emotional issues and does some pretty questionable stuff. This is his first documented stint. It's called "Road of Solitude" for some reason.

“For the crime of destroying the home of an innocent, I sentence you to die”. The figure in a brown military coat uttered these words as he stared down the barrel of a silver 5-chambered revolver. The man he was aiming at, splayed across the dirt, looked helplessly to the sky,

“Oh God… help me” he tried to scream, but his voice caught in his throat, his fear strangling him.

“Nothing will help you now. This is where your road meets its end” the figure replied. His face was utterly vacant, but his eyes betrayed a sense of affirmation, as if everything within him accepted, and if it could have been possible, rejoiced at the scene that lay before him.

As the blood steadily leaked from the man’s now limp body, the figure turned to the woman behind him who was cradling a child in her arms. His eyes still held that same affirmation. The look on the woman’s face as she turned to stare at the figure was one of absolute disgust, revulsion. It was as if she had touched something, and at first marveled its uniqueness, its practicality. But when she realized what it meant, she pulled away, horrified at the fact that she held it close, believed in it, almost made it a part of herself.

A sense of confusion struck the figure, and he realized that he had committed a grave mistake. It has not the first time such an incident had happened. It would probably not be the last. He didn’t say anything. He was never good at repairing damage. Instead, he holstered his revolver, pulled his hood over his head, and stepped out onto the road. He almost looked back. He knew she was watching him, tear-stricken. If he knew any better, he might have. But he simply didn’t.

Response to Road of Solitude 2014-08-30 14:23:53

I know you said this was intended as an intro to a story, but it still seems really nondescript to me, not a good place to start the story. Moving down, I'm not sure how I feel about you not outright saying that the "figure in a brown military coat" shot the man. It's an interesting little bit of writing, but at the same time, adds a little confusion the first time reading through. Lastly, I think "If he knew any better, he might have." should go after "He almost looked back.", and just remove "He knew she
was watching him, tear-stricken."

Response to Road of Solitude 2015-01-08 17:38:46 (edited 2015-01-08 17:39:16)

At 8/30/14 02:23 PM, LDAF wrote: I know you said this was intended as an intro to a story, but it still seems really nondescript to me, not a good place to start the story. Moving down, I'm not sure how I feel about you not outright saying that the "figure in a brown military coat" shot the man. It's an interesting little bit of writing, but at the same time, adds a little confusion the first time reading through. Lastly, I think "If he knew any better, he might have." should go after "He almost looked back.", and just remove "He knew she
was watching him, tear-stricken."

First off, thanks for taking the time to give feedback. Second, yes, it is quite a crappy piece of writing, now that I'm reading it four months after the fact. I just find it difficult to balance 'poetic' overtones, if it could even be called that, with a more practical 'explaining what the hell is going on' sort of thing. In this case I tried to hard to make it sound 'nice' so no one really has a clue what is going on. Anyway thanks again