00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Danielr1203 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Thumbs Up Leads To Anger/threats?

442 Views | 6 Replies

Thumbs Up Leads To Anger/threats? 2014-08-25 01:08:29

This morning I gave a thumbs up to my dad who is living at my home even though he's divorced from my mom. I'm currently trying to move soon, but my dad and I were talking this morning when he was eating breakfast. I gave him a thumbs up near his face and he got really irritated quickly and said "If you do that again I'm going to fucking beat you to death." He kinda has a temper and admits he gets too mad but when he was much more calm, he just said "Nobody wants to have a thumbs up near their eyes because you can get them poked and get blinded, so most people would beat somebody up if they did."

I admit it was kinda stupid to do that, but have you ever been in a situation where you gave somebody a thumbs up and it was near their face and it almost seemed like your thumb almost jabbed them in the eye, nearly leading up to them making a death threat or getting very angry or irritated.

It wasn't the first time he did this. He said in the past when I gave him a thumbs up near his face, "I don't want step in it" and made some angry remark.

Response to Thumbs Up Leads To Anger/threats? 2014-08-25 20:50:44

Well, you put your fuckin' thumb near his face.

Goddamn moron.

Response to Thumbs Up Leads To Anger/threats? 2014-08-25 20:53:54

I let somebody suck on my thumb once if that counts.

BBS Signature

Response to Thumbs Up Leads To Anger/threats? 2014-08-25 20:56:42

Woa, overreaction o.o

BBS Signature

Response to Thumbs Up Leads To Anger/threats? 2014-08-25 20:58:36

Obviously the gesture is not, in itself, disrespectful - but it can be inappropriate in certain situations.

If someone is trying to have a serious conversation with you, or is trying to get you on board with something, and your response is to give them a thumbs-up, it can definitely come across as patronizing or dismissive, or belittling what they are trying to accomplish.

It's the same as going, "yeah yeah uh huh sure - got it" in those circumstances.

Sig by BlueHippo / User Icon by CosmicDeath.

BBS Signature

Response to Thumbs Up Leads To Anger/threats? 2014-08-25 20:59:45

At 8/25/14 08:50 PM, NGPulp wrote: Well, you put your fuckin' thumb near his face.

Goddamn moron.

Yeah what the fuck was OP thinking?

BBS Signature

Response to Thumbs Up Leads To Anger/threats? 2014-08-26 08:56:05

At 8/25/14 08:59 PM, Magical-Zorse wrote: Yeah what the fuck was OP thinking?

My best bet is that he wasn't.