00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

xrusteater0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

A Good Way To Make A Transition

1,005 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

A Good Way To Make A Transition 2014-08-24 19:34:45

Okay. So I'm currently working on a song in FL Studio. The specific genre is House music. Now, I'm trying to find a good way to transition into the next part of the song.

The song starts out easy and smooth, and transitions into a rave-like/chill, dancing theme. But I don't know how to get there. I literally have a gap in the song right now where the transition should be. XD

Could I get some help? I don't want the transition to be too over-bearing, yet too quiet. What's the correct way to approach this? O.o

BBS Signature

Response to A Good Way To Make A Transition 2014-08-25 02:29:32

Filtered white noise. That does a lot.

Bandcamp | Ko-Fi | John Wall of Sound's Bandcamp

one of these days i'll have a proper website lmao

Response to A Good Way To Make A Transition 2014-08-25 03:14:13

listen to a lot of mat zo.

that should give you a general idea

lel

BBS Signature

Response to A Good Way To Make A Transition 2014-08-25 03:42:46

There's a lot of ways you could approach this, but without hearing it, its hard to say what the right way would be.
You could try a pitch rise, snare roll, reverse cymbal, a pause, kick build up, opening up the cuttoff on your synths or maybe some filtered white noise. Maybe a combo of some of those just to name a few.

Response to A Good Way To Make A Transition 2014-08-25 03:55:44

At 8/24/14 07:34 PM, Exilious wrote: The song starts out easy and smooth, and transitions into a rave-like/chill, dancing theme.

if you mean like actual rave music you should be making two different songs (but you probably don't mean that)

p.s. i am gay

Response to A Good Way To Make A Transition 2014-08-25 04:33:24

Synth building up and becoming louder and louder (only works in some cases).
Cymbal roll.
Reverse cymbal roll with a loud crack, say from a percussive whip or a rimshot on a taiko drum (in this case, give the crack a wide sound and A LOT of reverb).
32nd notes on the snare drum. That's really fast, and meant to be used for the last second or split second before the next section.

These are some ideas. Now granted, I'm too influenced by trance to even think of more, but these may help, if you choose to use them.

Response to A Good Way To Make A Transition 2014-08-25 05:01:52

At 8/24/14 07:34 PM, Exilious wrote: Okay.

Personally I feel that while different build ups, white noise, risers and all that are great tools in a transition, it's best when the music naturally flows from one part to the next (unless of course you want a jarring/surprising transition), and the other stuff just enhances the effect. Something that helps me with this is trying to combine aspects of the two separate parts into a new transitional section. For example if you have a really prominent drum hit or stab that comes in in the second part, you could subtly bring it in so it's not too noticeable before the transition, then bring it to the forefront after the transition. This works with any aspect of the music too, depending on the song and the effect you want.

Aside from that, if you can't manage to link them musically, or if you don't want to, silence can be a wonderful thing, especially if your goal is to surprise the listener.

I tend to shy away from using pre-made risers and things of that nature because I find it too tempting to just slap a cool sound between the two parts and leave it at that, but that's just me.

Hope that helps. I struggled with transitions a lot when I first started, and still do sometimes. Those things up there, as well as just continuing to try random things helped me!

There's more on Soundcloud.

Response to A Good Way To Make A Transition 2014-08-25 08:06:26

It's difficult to tell if I can't hear it. What I do is I either try to match up the musical notes or I use a filter, the filter you're gonna use is your choice.