00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Nue22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How do I improve?

599 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

How do I improve? 2014-08-21 13:40:51

Okaaaay since I messed up and by uploading multiple speedart videos everyday. How should i improve my art? Constructive criticism only.

Response to How do I improve? 2014-08-21 14:49:43

At 8/21/14 01:40 PM, Collis529 wrote: Okaaaay since I messed up and by uploading multiple speedart videos everyday. How should i improve my art? Constructive criticism only.

Firstly, I can understand the problem with you uploading two videos-of-you-painting-but-sped-up, but if you're making paintings everyday, keep it up!

It's kind of difficult to give you feedback, since you're after a "what is wrong with ALL of my paintings", when it's much easier if you present single drawing and ask for suggestions on how to develop it, what looks good and what needs improving. It's why people in the art forum have their own art threads, so you might benefit from starting your own one.

Overall, I think some of your compositions a re a bit weak. Such as this picture, I like the character hanging off the street lamp, but there is a lot of unused space directly below it, and the quickly-drawn sign kind of ruins it.

I also think the colours/lighting in some of your pics look a bit strange. I'm not really sure what's going on with this cat - it's either weirdly lit, or got some incredibly bright orange patches! It might be interesting to see you referencing a simple colour photograph to familiarise yourself with lighting and use of colours.

Otherwise I really like your tenacity for creating digital paintings, it's admirable.

BBS Signature

Response to How do I improve? 2014-08-21 15:38:32

At 8/21/14 02:49 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Overall, I think some of your compositions a re a bit weak.

I agree composition is an area you can explore some more! When it comes to how to practice it, I'd suggest doing black and white master studies:

ConceptArt has a workshop with a free preview that focuses on just that; composition. I definitely recommend looking for works that inspire you, and then try your best at copying it, and work to understand why it's appealing to you.

The video included in the link should give a primer to the fundamentals of composition in digital painting - watch it and keep it in mind both when studying and creating your own compositions!

BBS Signature

Response to How do I improve? 2014-08-22 00:40:13

Okay, thank you for the critic and for the one bit of art work would my guardian of the galaxy art is that not good enough for the art portal?

Response to How do I improve? 2014-08-22 00:44:09

At 8/22/14 12:40 AM, Collis529 wrote: Okay, thank you for the critic and for the one bit of art work would my guardian of the galaxy art is that not good enough for the art portal?

What I am asking is my piece on the guardians is it not strong enough to be on the art portal why or why not?