00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jmurr12 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Software Recommendations?

1,104 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Software Recommendations? 2014-08-20 20:08:43

Hi! So I'm new to all this so I apologize, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend some art softwares? I'm not really looking for spending, and I didn't get along with Paint Tool Sai or Sketchbook Pro. And right now, I'm looking for things to make pixel art. I've tried Paint with no avail, and I'm not great with Photoshop. Is my search completely hopeless?

BBS Signature

Response to Software Recommendations? 2014-08-23 06:18:59

At 8/20/14 08:08 PM, W4RL0RD wrote: Hi! So I'm new to all this so I apologize, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend some art softwares? I'm not really looking for spending, and I didn't get along with Paint Tool Sai or Sketchbook Pro. And right now, I'm looking for things to make pixel art. I've tried Paint with no avail, and I'm not great with Photoshop. Is my search completely hopeless?

I find Gimp pretty easy to use. It's a bit like Photoshop, but with two differences that I have seen from my personal experience (considering I'm not great at Photoshop either):
1. It's completely free
2. Its interface is easier to learn

Response to Software Recommendations? 2014-08-23 06:46:42

At 8/20/14 08:08 PM, W4RL0RD wrote: Hi! So I'm new to all this so I apologize, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend some art softwares? I'm not really looking for spending, and I didn't get along with Paint Tool Sai or Sketchbook Pro. And right now, I'm looking for things to make pixel art. I've tried Paint with no avail, and I'm not great with Photoshop. Is my search completely hopeless?

Whoa, so you don't like Paint Tool Sai. And you're not great with Photoshop.
It's really hard to recommend a different software to you because most of the other art programs are similar to these 2 programs.
I recommend instead of finding a good software, keep on practicing on the software you have instead.
One last question though, do you have a drawing tablet?

Drawin' and being trash. :3

Response to Software Recommendations? 2014-09-20 15:28:28

At 8/23/14 06:46 AM, 123mine123 wrote:
Whoa, so you don't like Paint Tool Sai. And you're not great with Photoshop.
It's really hard to recommend a different software to you because most of the other art programs are similar to these 2 programs.
I recommend instead of finding a good software, keep on practicing on the software you have instead.
One last question though, do you have a drawing tablet?

I do have a Samsung Tablet, which I am currently using for art, considering I had a Bamboo tablet which I was just terrible with.
Thanks for the reply! Sorry I'm a month late...

BBS Signature

Response to Software Recommendations? 2014-09-20 15:32:30

At 8/23/14 06:18 AM, TheWalshinator1 wrote:
I find Gimp pretty easy to use. It's a bit like Photoshop, but with two differences that I have seen from my personal experience (considering I'm not great at Photoshop either):
1. It's completely free
2. Its interface is easier to learn

I tried downloading/using Gimp once, I messed something up somehow and then it just wouldn't respond, so I had no luck with that either. I'm hopeless.
Thanks for the reply; sorry I was so late.

BBS Signature

Response to Software Recommendations? 2014-09-20 23:44:04

At 9/20/14 03:32 PM, W4RL0RD wrote: I tried downloading/using Gimp once, I messed something up somehow and then it just wouldn't respond, so I had no luck with that either. I'm hopeless.

Ok, I think what your problem is you give up too easily.
You think that all your fave and other pro artists out there is already what they are when they picked up digital?
No. Everyone had to get used to the digital interface and the awkward bamboo tablet through sheer practice.

I recommend Painttool Sai to get used to because that is the greatest and simplest art program I found.
Try to also find some Youtube tutorials about how the tools work, how editting and keyboard shortcuts work, or making your own brush presets, etc.

It's not hopeless. You're feeling what everybody is starting digitally.

However, if you really feel like you really suck digitally, it's also most likely you suck traditionally at pencil and paper. So, you could also have the choice to just draw and improve a lot on pencil first before picking up digital drawing.

Drawin' and being trash. :3

Response to Software Recommendations? 2014-09-24 03:42:31

At 9/20/14 03:32 PM, W4RL0RD wrote: I tried downloading/using Gimp once, I messed something up somehow and then it just wouldn't respond, so I had no luck with that either. I'm hopeless.

I guess your best bet would be to look up some tutorials on how to use softwares, because I've only used MS Paint, GIMP, and Photoshop.

Response to Software Recommendations? 2014-09-25 20:21:11

I would reccomend a program called "Paint tool SAI"
esspecially if you want smooth lineart, SAI is probably the best, due to it's stabilizer imho

WELCOME TO THE FANTASY ZONE