TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Jams, Collabs & Other Cool News! 2014-08-18 14:32:46 Reply

Sheep Collab

Lalo is organizing a Sheep Collab and it's a great exercise for animators. Simply use the provided template and instructions to animate your own sheep going over the fence. The end result will be a visual feast of sheep! Check out Lalo's post for more info, the deadline is November 2nd.

Death Jam

Death Jam wrapped up last night, with almost 30 entries! More than 30 if you count the combined entries in NG Office Death Jam. A bunch of artists from NYC made the treck to jam at the NG office, something we should be doing on more weekends since this place is big and people have a good time.

Rising Stars

Back in January 2012 I made a front page post about Cal Cuffaro performing Faithfully by Journey, filmed by Bendo from NG. Cal was just 17 at the time and a pretty damn impressive musician.

Almost three years later, Cal and Bendo are back with an original song and video! They are both really talented guys and it's fun to watch their rise, so here's another plug: Watch Memories by Cal Cuffaro, video directed by Matt Bendo.

You can also snag the song on iTunes. Wishing all the best for them!

Clock Day

Friday was Clock Day and if you don't know what the deal is with that, read the history.

A lot of people assume Clock Day submissions aren't worth watching but there were some real gems this year. For example:

• Hhecf14rotpohiltswalc
    Hhecf14rotpohiltswalc by ClockCrew

Title too awesome for a short description.

Score
    4.04 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 17+

RenegadeClock recreated the Game of Thrones intro, but with clocks. It is DAMN IMPRESSIVE.

• SBC Saves the Portal
    SBC Saves the Portal by StrawberryClock

Strawberry Clock Encounters a Crossover Crisis!

Score
    3.99 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 17+

StrawberryClock showed up with a collab featuring a bunch of artists from the early days of NG, a real treat for anyone who has been on the site since early 2000s or before. He also took daily 1st, which seems fitting for Clock Day!

Upcoming

We've got a really exciting week ahead, Wednesday in particular. The final round of NATA is wrapping up, with StejkRobot and ButzboPrud going head to head in each other's style.

Wednesday is also the public launch of Phoenotopia, currently in pre-release for NG supporters! This is one of the greatest web games ever made, be sure to make some time to play it this week.

Also this Sunday is the launch of the Madnes: Project Nexus 2 Kickstarter, so get ready to help us make a big push out the gate. It's been amazing to see what The-Swain and Krinkels have pulled together in the past year!

Only five days left for the K.O.L.M Kickstarter!!!

Also Engauge is halfway to its Kickstarter goal.

Some people you might not be following yet:

HeyBudGames
ItsTheAshtray
GunboyIsAwesome

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Magical-Zorse
Magical-Zorse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Jams, Collabs & Other Cool News! 2014-08-18 14:38:19 Reply

Most excellent, tom.

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to Jams, Collabs & Other Cool News! 2014-08-18 14:39:10 Reply

At 8/18/14 02:32 PM, TomFulp wrote: Only five days left for the K.O.L.M Kickstarter!!!

Not looking good for the kickstarter, kinda sad. Ricochet kills 2 got me into NG but KOLM and Chibi Knight made me stay.

first post
Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Jams, Collabs & Other Cool News! 2014-08-18 14:42:52 Reply

Butzbo4president

also first post.

None

GunboyIsAwesome
GunboyIsAwesome
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Animator
Response to Jams, Collabs & Other Cool News! 2014-08-18 14:59:35 Reply

Might try having a go at the sheep collab.
And thanks for the shoutout, Tom! : >

shit

BBS Signature
Wurmy
Wurmy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Programmer
Response to Jams, Collabs & Other Cool News! 2014-08-18 15:28:44 Reply

At 8/18/14 02:32 PM, TomFulp wrote: Also Engauge is halfway to its Kickstarter goal.

Haha! Thanks for the shout out Tom. My life is a little more complete now.

Fun fact: All animations for X1Swere made in Flash.

BBS Signature
ItsTheAshtray
ItsTheAshtray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to Jams, Collabs & Other Cool News! 2014-08-18 15:37:03 Reply

The jam was fun as hell. Looking forward to the next game/movie jam. Moving around in Engauge! looks responsive and fun. Thanks for the shutout too you sweetie pie, Tom!

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Response to Jams, Collabs & Other Cool News! 2014-08-18 16:46:24 Reply

Where's my shoutout Tom? WHERE'S MY SHOUTOUT???

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Jams, Collabs & Other Cool News! 2014-08-18 16:49:18 Reply

At 8/18/14 04:46 PM, bigjonny13 wrote: Where's my shoutout Tom? WHERE'S MY SHOUTOUT???

Shoutout to bigjonny13!

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Response to Jams, Collabs & Other Cool News! 2014-08-18 17:03:19 Reply

At 8/18/14 04:49 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 8/18/14 04:46 PM, bigjonny13 wrote: Where's my shoutout Tom? WHERE'S MY SHOUTOUT???
Shoutout to bigjonny13!

Hooray!

I did voice for two movies after all...
The-Swain
The-Swain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Game Developer
Response to Jams, Collabs & Other Cool News! 2014-08-18 17:51:44 Reply

At 8/18/14 02:42 PM, Luis wrote: Butzbo4president

also first post.

I'm gonna beat you up.

Also thanks for the Madness shirt, I am all done with it and ready to give it back to you sweaty.

BBS Signature
bendo
bendo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Jams, Collabs & Other Cool News! 2014-08-18 18:42:38 Reply

Thank you very much for the post Tom. Cal and I really appreciate it :)

http://youtu.be/2l6R-FPPR7w

Special thanks to Tom and Newgrounds in the credits. Hope we make you guys proud!

Jams, Collabs & Other Cool News!

Noodle
Noodle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Animator
Response to Jams, Collabs & Other Cool News! 2014-08-18 19:23:34 Reply

At 8/18/14 02:32 PM, TomFulp wrote: We've got a really exciting week ahead, Wednesday in particular. The final round of NATA is wrapping up, with StejkRobot and ButzboPrud going head to head in each other's style.

I'm glad to see two animators with such drastically different styles in the final!
It should provide a real challenge for the two of them to step out of their comfort zones. I'm very intrigued to see how it all ends. Best of luck to both of them!

GAH!

BBS Signature
TripleThreeTwo
TripleThreeTwo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Animator
Response to Jams, Collabs & Other Cool News! 2014-08-18 21:55:34 Reply

thanks for the heads up on the sheep collab

FIGMENTUM
FIGMENTUM
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 59
Blank Slate
Response to Jams, Collabs & Other Cool News! 2014-08-18 22:35:14 Reply

At 8/18/14 06:42 PM, bendo wrote: http://youtu.be/2l6R-FPPR7w

4K? KKKKrazy.

I'll probably read this in ten minutes and facepalm. - RageVI
haha?

BBS Signature
TerribleDesign
TerribleDesign
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Jams, Collabs & Other Cool News! 2014-08-19 11:24:08 Reply

I'm just glad someone had the common sense to change the thumbnail from my lawnmower to something better without me having to suggest it.

If we get a vote, my favorite was "2010: Jimi Heselden". It is America's #1 Segway death.

I make Comic Sans look good.

BBS Signature
tbremise
tbremise
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Jams, Collabs & Other Cool News! 2014-08-19 11:32:51 Reply

Glad I was able to take part in the deathjam. Even though I don't think my animation was that good I did learn a little and improve while doing so.

Everyone else did so good too!

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Jams, Collabs & Other Cool News! 2014-08-19 11:35:11 Reply

At 8/19/14 11:32 AM, tbremise wrote: Glad I was able to take part in the deathjam. Even though I don't think my animation was that good I did learn a little and improve while doing so.

Yeah it feels good to just make something... That was my first "animation" in... Holy crap... 3 years. And both are characters looking at a camera... I gotta try making something dynamic.

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Jams, Collabs & Other Cool News! 2014-08-19 11:50:02 Reply

At 8/19/14 11:35 AM, TomFulp wrote: Yeah it feels good to just make something... That was my first "animation" in... Holy crap... 3 years. And both are characters looking at a camera... I gotta try making something dynamic.

stick to programming!

None

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Jams, Collabs & Other Cool News! 2014-08-19 11:56:09 Reply

At 8/19/14 11:50 AM, Luis wrote:
At 8/19/14 11:35 AM, TomFulp wrote: Yeah it feels good to just make something... That was my first "animation" in... Holy crap... 3 years. And both are characters looking at a camera... I gotta try making something dynamic.
stick to programming!

BUT BUT BUT ok

BBS Signature
squidly
squidly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Jams, Collabs & Other Cool News! 2014-08-19 13:19:38 Reply

What is it with Newgrounds and Kickstarters failing?

I really want KOLM to succeed, read: REALLY want KOLM to succeed. But it has no chance.

Maybe it's the channels? Is the EXP contacting the right people? RPS takes submissions, and RPS is watched by things like Kotaku, get an article off them and boom. Right?

I think KOLM is a fantastic project, I just wish people knew about it. Makes me fear for my eventual Kickstarter...

Good.

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to Jams, Collabs & Other Cool News! 2014-08-19 15:35:50 Reply

At 8/19/14 01:19 PM, squidly wrote: What is it with Newgrounds and Kickstarters failing?

I really want KOLM to succeed, read: REALLY want KOLM to succeed. But it has no chance.

Maybe it's the channels? Is the EXP contacting the right people? RPS takes submissions, and RPS is watched by things like Kotaku, get an article off them and boom. Right?

I think KOLM is a fantastic project, I just wish people knew about it. Makes me fear for my eventual Kickstarter...

That's kickstarters in general. He made a twitter after/just before the kickst started, so he doesn't have a massive following like he'd have if he made one 3 years ago. The pledges jumped after I retweeted it, and I'm just me (Tom reretweeted as did a couple other people with a lot of followers). It was publicized on NG, Steam greenlight, probably AG, and maybe Kong; and casual viewers don't read the newsposts or at least don't scroll to the very bottom of them where it was mentioned. His front page post got bumped down after like 2 days or whatever the norm is. Nothing like having an article about it in several places like Super Chibi Knight. Live and learn.

Zachary
Zachary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Jams, Collabs & Other Cool News! 2014-08-19 15:38:56 Reply

At 8/19/14 01:19 PM, squidly wrote: What is it with Newgrounds and Kickstarters failing?

Well the one Newgrounds kickstarter that was funded...yeah.

BBS Signature
Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to Jams, Collabs & Other Cool News! 2014-08-19 23:19:49 Reply

At 8/19/14 03:38 PM, Zachary wrote:

dude, that guy fell off the internet not long after that got funded. It's not even like 15k can get you much...maybe a cross-country move or a short vacation overseas.

¥ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ¥
¥ ¥
Blag [updated: 4/20/2014] ¥ ¥

BBS Signature
Zachary
Zachary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Jams, Collabs & Other Cool News! 2014-08-19 23:41:40 Reply

At 8/19/14 11:19 PM, Malachy wrote:
dude, that guy fell off the internet not long after that got funded. It's not even like 15k can get you much...maybe a cross-country move or a short vacation overseas.

So what if he fell off the internet? He still had the money.

Did you seriously just say $15k is not a lot of money? If it wasn't a lot of money why did he need to ask for it in the first place?

Having people donate towards a documentary (years ago) and to never get it done is misleading and a scam.

I am not saying that all kickstarters Newgrounds promotes will be plagued with that because frankly (and sadly) most people probably aren't even aware of it, but it is a stain.

Even if the documentary comes out now it will be dated and irrelevant.

BBS Signature
Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to Jams, Collabs & Other Cool News! 2014-08-20 00:35:00 Reply

At 8/19/14 11:41 PM, Zachary wrote:

Did you seriously just say $15k is not a lot of money? If it wasn't a lot of money why did he need to ask for it in the first place?

shit dude, I was agreeing with you. But I was adding that it seems odd to swindle people for only $15,000 instead of a higher sum. I mean, what if he set the minimum to $15k and then.

Having people donate towards a documentary (years ago) and to never get it done is misleading and a scam.

That's one of the known downfalls of crowdfunding. There's a public misunderstanding that you are investing in a company or buying a product not unlike pre-ordering when in fact you are funding a potential enterprise with no strings attached. It is riskier to a consumer because you might be throwing money at a business that can fail while at the same time you aren't investing in a sense that you get no ownership of it if it does take off.

It's also sort of risky for the project because none of that money (with kickstarter at least) is guaranteed until you're fully funded. And if you do get funded you can run into problems if you get TOO MUCH funding. Crazy right? But a good legitimate and smart project would evaluate and get quotes on manufacturing for a product with a certain expectation. You need a $30k funding to build 10,000 units of your doodad but what happens when you pass $30k on week 1 and by the end are looking at $60k of funding and 20,000 units promised. How do you scale that? What if the order is too large for your vendors and you have to get a new, maybe higher, quote from somebody else for materials? Sounds like the problems the guys who did Ouya right?

"Donating" is probably the best description of what it is. You're freely giving this money out to jump start a business but you take no actual interest in the company. You don't get stock or ownership percentage. You may get a product if you paid a higher amount to the campaign.

And, sadly, sometimes things just fail. Businesses fail all the time and investors are out of the money they invested into it - that's the risk that Venture Capital takes and why they have ignored a lot of the projects that might wind up on Kickstarter. Chances are this is what happened - he ran out of money before being able to deliver the final product. He could easily have spent every cent he received legitimately and could probably even provide proof to kickstarter or whoever if somebody came around asking for the funds back.

I am not saying that all kickstarters Newgrounds promotes will be plagued with that because frankly (and sadly) most people probably aren't even aware of it, but it is a stain.

I see no problem with promoting business you believe in. Maybe Newgrounds is too niche to fund a project on their own merits but it couldn't hurt a project either. You just need to understand that you are donating that money and not signing up for a pre-order or a stake in the project. At least that's a cool thing about crowdfunding - you don't need to rely on just a few people to provide all of your needed funding because hundreds of people can provide a little in order to fund what you want. An investor might come after you for a $10k loan but somebody like you or me isn't really going to miss $5 or $10 down the line. Well, we'll miss it and the mcdonalds meal it could buy but we aren't bankrupt over it (and if you are, holy hell dude, stop giving people money on kickstarter and start learning how to use a checkbook!)

Even if the documentary comes out now it will be dated and irrelevant.

¥ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ¥
¥ ¥
Blag [updated: 4/20/2014] ¥ ¥

BBS Signature
Zachary
Zachary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Jams, Collabs & Other Cool News! 2014-08-20 01:00:06 Reply

At 8/20/14 12:35 AM, Malachy wrote:
At 8/19/14 11:41 PM, Zachary wrote:

shit dude, I was agreeing with you. But I was adding that it seems odd to swindle people for only $15,000 instead of a higher sum. I mean, what if he set the minimum to $15k and then.

Yeah, but that wasn't my point at all. I don't care if he only asked for $1,000 or $500. $15,000 is more than enough to make a documentary about Newgrounds.

"Donating" is probably the best description of what it is. You're freely giving this money out to jump start a business but you take no actual interest in the company. You don't get stock or ownership percentage. You may get a product if you paid a higher amount to the campaign.

And, sadly, sometimes things just fail. Businesses fail all the time and investors are out of the money they invested into it - that's the risk that Venture Capital takes and why they have ignored a lot of the projects that might wind up on Kickstarter. Chances are this is what happened - he ran out of money before being able to deliver the final product. He could easily have spent every cent he received legitimately and could probably even provide proof to kickstarter or whoever if somebody came around asking for the funds back.

Right, but Newgrounds name was on that project and was promoted by Tom. How does that make him look? Yeah, it wasn't his fault at all, but it is still there.

I see no problem with promoting business you believe in. Maybe Newgrounds is too niche to fund a project on their own merits but it couldn't hurt a project either. You just need to understand that you are donating that money and not signing up for a pre-order or a stake in the project. At least that's a cool thing about crowdfunding - you don't need to rely on just a few people to provide all of your needed funding because hundreds of people can provide a little in order to fund what you want. An investor might come after you for a $10k loan but somebody like you or me isn't really going to miss $5 or $10 down the line. Well, we'll miss it and the mcdonalds meal it could buy but we aren't bankrupt over it (and if you are, holy hell dude, stop giving people money on kickstarter and start learning how to use a checkbook!)

Correct, but if Newgrounds produced an awesome documentary and had proved to done something with the money, I am 100% certain people would be more willing to donate.

Newgrounds promoted this project and it never came to fruition, what is stopping the next one from having the same results. Track records are a real thing and if as a user I donated to something that didn't come out, I know I would be a lot less likely to donate to the next thing than if it did.

BBS Signature
CreateAndDestroy
CreateAndDestroy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Reader
Response to Jams, Collabs & Other Cool News! 2014-08-20 04:40:03 Reply

Do people even care anymore...

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Jams, Collabs & Other Cool News! 2014-08-20 05:59:15 Reply

At 8/20/14 04:40 AM, CreateAndDestroy wrote: Do people even care anymore...

Ask yourself if you do and there's your answer!

BBS Signature
AbyssalPickle
AbyssalPickle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Animator
Response to Jams, Collabs & Other Cool News! 2014-08-20 07:39:27 Reply

I have been so busy that I didn't have enough time to publish my submission :<

Although, I'm soon done with it. Yeah, for some reason I didn't stop working on it even when the jam stopped lol.

I'm an idiot.