00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

is this gonna be a thing hollywood?

1,393 Views | 37 Replies

please stop this shit, nobody wants to see a origin story about a famous musician. if I wanted to see the life of a musician I would watch a documentary.

BBS Signature

Response to is this gonna be a thing hollywood? 2014-08-17 16:45:13

At 8/17/14 04:42 PM, xXSp1cyN1njaXx wrote: please stop this shit, nobody wants to see a origin story about a famous musician. if I wanted to see the life of a musician I would watch a documentary.

Then don't watch it; it's kinda simple. Literally no one in the business cares about your opinion. Not a single one of them.

Response to is this gonna be a thing hollywood? 2014-08-17 17:02:13

Then don't watch it; it's kinda simple. Literally no one in the business cares about your opinion. Not a single one of them.

I don't watch them. and I don't care if they don't care

BBS Signature

Response to is this gonna be a thing hollywood? 2014-08-17 17:02:23

I can see your frustration. Biopics have always been oscar bait cheatcodes. You can take all the cliche dramatic tropes, the racism, the drugs, the marital strife, and make a claim it happened to a real person so people don't feel stupid watching.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to is this gonna be a thing hollywood? 2014-08-17 17:02:57

I don't understand.
How many musician-origin-stories have you seen them produce? Because I've literally only heard of one (the one with Robert Downy Jr. in it)

Response to is this gonna be a thing hollywood? 2014-08-17 17:04:05

It's a boring movie topic but I guess there are losers out there who like that shit so whatever.

BBS Signature

Response to is this gonna be a thing hollywood? 2014-08-17 17:04:37

At 8/17/14 05:02 PM, xXSp1cyN1njaXx wrote:
I don't watch them. and I don't care if they don't care

You're bitching about them like you're being forced to watch them. Seriously, just continue that practice if you don't want to see them, Hollywood will still make them (most of them are actually pretty good, like Walk the Line), and people will still flock to them. There's a reason these movies make massive bank, is that despite what you've theorized, tons of people want to see them.

Response to is this gonna be a thing hollywood? 2014-08-17 17:06:08

At 8/17/14 05:02 PM, xXSp1cyN1njaXx wrote: I don't watch them. and I don't care if they don't care

I bet you wouldn't be hating on Hollywood anymore if movie producers suddenly made one of those movies about a musician you like.

Haven't they only made like two anyways? A Justin Bieber one and a Katy Perry one? If so, I wouldn't count on it occurring enough to be considered a 'thing.'

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits.

BBS Signature

Response to is this gonna be a thing hollywood? 2014-08-17 17:06:21

At 8/17/14 05:02 PM, CiviLies wrote: I don't understand.
How many musician-origin-stories have you seen them produce? Because I've literally only heard of one (the one with Robert Downy Jr. in it)

jerseyboys, james brown, jimi Hendrix, and elvis.

BBS Signature

Response to is this gonna be a thing hollywood? 2014-08-17 17:08:18

At 8/17/14 05:06 PM, xXSp1cyN1njaXx wrote:
jerseyboys, james brown, jimi Hendrix, and elvis.

Sorry all those famous people were interesting people who led interesting lives that people want to learn about.

Response to is this gonna be a thing hollywood? 2014-08-17 17:09:00

something tells me you care alot

BBS Signature

Response to is this gonna be a thing hollywood? 2014-08-17 17:09:42

At 8/17/14 05:08 PM, WrightOnTarget wrote:
At 8/17/14 05:06 PM, xXSp1cyN1njaXx wrote: jerseyboys, james brown, jimi Hendrix, and elvis.
Sorry all those famous people were interesting people who led interesting lives that people want to learn about.

I think he's getting pissed off at the recent ones that have been made about shitty famous musicians, but that's just my guess.

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits.

BBS Signature

Response to is this gonna be a thing hollywood? 2014-08-17 17:10:52

At 8/17/14 05:09 PM, xXSp1cyN1njaXx wrote: something tells me you care alot

It's not your opinion I care about, it's your attitude that your opinion actually means anything and is that of the majority, when it obviously isn't. That's what bothers me.

Response to is this gonna be a thing hollywood? 2014-08-17 17:11:21

Ray, Walk the Line, Sid and Nancy, The Doors, I'm not there, Great balls of fire, Selena, Coal miners daughter, What's love got to do with it, Amedeus.

I admit to taking from this list but only listing ones I was already aware of http://www.listal.com/list/complete-music-biopics-list

And this coming year we have ones for both Jimmy Hendrix and James Brown.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to is this gonna be a thing hollywood? 2014-08-17 17:14:14

It's not your opinion I care about, it's your attitude that your opinion actually means anything and is that of the majority, when it obviously isn't. That's what bothers me.

oh I get it my opinion doesn't mean anything unless its yours.

BBS Signature

Response to is this gonna be a thing hollywood? 2014-08-17 17:19:47

At 8/17/14 05:14 PM, xXSp1cyN1njaXx wrote:
oh I get it my opinion doesn't mean anything unless its yours.

Of course my opinion doesn't mean anything! Why would it? I'm just another individual of no importance. I mean, granted, I am in this business, so I have some experience to back up some of the things I say, but my opinion means no more than yours. Which is why I don't often make opinion threads. I'm not saying you shouldn't have your opinion, I just hope you realize it doesn't matter what you think, you're not a crusader for taste, you're not the lone guardian of good movies, you're just some schmuck like me.

At 8/17/14 05:09 PM, DeftonesFan665 wrote:
At 8/17/14 05:08 PM, WrightOnTarget wrote:
At 8/17/14 05:06 PM, xXSp1cyN1njaXx wrote: jerseyboys, james brown, jimi Hendrix, and elvis.
I think he's getting pissed off at the recent ones that have been made about shitty famous musicians, but that's just my guess.

If you're talking about the Katy Perry one and the Bieber one, those weren't biopics. Those were actual documentaries, the ones he said he'd watch. My stepmother worked on clearances for the Katy Perry one. All made up of actual footage of Katy Perry, no actors, no reenactments. It was a doc, not a movie. He's obviously talking about the James Brown biopic, and the Jimi Hendrix biopic, which are actual films dramatizing the life of two pretty awesome, pretty influential artists.

Response to is this gonna be a thing hollywood? 2014-08-17 17:31:59

Walk Hard is the cure to feeling shitty about all these kinds of films.

BBS Signature

Response to is this gonna be a thing hollywood? 2014-08-17 17:32:48

I just hope you realize it doesn't matter what you think:

I just wanted to express how I feel. I don't care if it matters to anybody else

BBS Signature

Response to is this gonna be a thing hollywood? 2014-08-17 17:33:17

It really isn't all that complicated. Like I said, biopics in general are golden tickets to use cliches and musicians are known for having tumultuous lives.

Not a musician but a good example of my point about the cliches Dragon: the Bruce Lee story. He has racial strife, marital problems, and according to Linda Lee that fight to teach non-chinese really happened. The simplest of story telling but the audience is fooled into not being insulted.

BBS Signature

Response to is this gonna be a thing hollywood? 2014-08-17 17:35:59

At 8/17/14 05:32 PM, xXSp1cyN1njaXx wrote: I just hope you realize it doesn't matter what you think:

I just wanted to express how I feel. I don't care if it matters to anybody else

Of course I realize that. But don't assume everyone else feels like you do.

Also, Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story is something I've been meaning to see, just never have.

Response to is this gonna be a thing hollywood? 2014-08-17 17:37:48

when did I assume everybody felt the same as me.

BBS Signature

Response to is this gonna be a thing hollywood? 2014-08-17 17:39:10

At 8/17/14 05:37 PM, xXSp1cyN1njaXx wrote:
when did I assume everybody felt the same as me.
At 8/17/14 04:42 PM, xXSp1cyN1njaXx wrote: please stop this shit, nobody wants to see a origin story about a famous musician. if I wanted to see the life of a musician I would watch a documentary.

Right there.

Response to is this gonna be a thing hollywood? 2014-08-17 17:41:11

Right there.

every heard about exaggerating ?

BBS Signature

Response to is this gonna be a thing hollywood? 2014-08-17 17:44:41

At 8/17/14 05:41 PM, xXSp1cyN1njaXx wrote:
Right there.
every heard about exaggerating ?

Yeah, I have. And I realize you didn't literally mean it, it's just the attitude that irked me.

Response to is this gonna be a thing hollywood? 2014-08-17 17:51:20

it's just the attitude that irked me.

well it's Sunday

BBS Signature

Response to is this gonna be a thing hollywood? 2014-08-17 17:52:07

At 8/17/14 05:11 PM, stafffighter wrote:
Ray, Walk the Line, Sid and Nancy, The Doors, I'm not there, Great balls of fire, Selena, Coal miners daughter, What's love got to do with it, Amedeus.

I admit to taking from this list but only listing ones I was already aware of http://www.listal.com/list/complete-music-biopics-list

And this coming year we have ones for both Jimmy Hendrix and James Brown.

Ohhhhh yeah....damn, you guys are right! Not to mention I just remembered the Notorious BIG movie that was released a few years back and the NWA movie being filmed. Shit, at this rate there'll probably be a Tupac movie coming out, hinging on the success of the NWA biopic. Wow, I'm kinda blind to these things...

Now I get what OP's complaining about. Still, a lot of these movies do sound interesting to me...even if the idea idea isn't quite original...

Response to is this gonna be a thing hollywood? 2014-08-17 17:59:07

At 8/17/14 05:52 PM, CiviLies wrote:

Now I get what OP's complaining about. Still, a lot of these movies do sound interesting to me...even if the idea idea isn't quite original...

Watch a bunch of them and then watch Walk Hard. The reason it works is because it hits the beast of EVERY music movie. It's actual parody, something the younger generation might not recognize.

BBS Signature

Response to is this gonna be a thing hollywood? 2014-08-17 18:02:36

Hollywood is notorious for messing up movies.
Take this for example.......

Response to is this gonna be a thing hollywood? 2014-08-17 18:04:06

I just remembered the Notorious BIG movie that was released.

i only like that movie because of the amount of tittes in it.

BBS Signature

Response to is this gonna be a thing hollywood? 2014-08-17 19:23:53

At 8/17/14 05:11 PM, stafffighter wrote: Ray

Ray was especially cringey because it had those awful moments like when he's sitting in the diner and he explains that because he's blind he can hear a humming bird outside of the window.

First of all, no. I don't care how developed your hearing is, you couldn't hear a hummingbird from this distance (and even if you could, you wouldn't be able to exactly tell what it was) and second, why are they talking like this?

"Actually, I Hear Like You See".
"Oh Ma Gawd Ray Charles, You Truly Are Extraordinary!"
"But When Will We Get 2 Know Tha Real Ray Charles?"
"Perhaps This Is Tha Moment when I Will Become The Man History Remembers Me As"

Why is this dialogue so stunted and awkward? Why does every moment in a biopic have to be a defining moment? I get it, you want to make the audience care about the protagonist and take them on a journey, it just feels so forced.

That being said, I don't think this was Jamie or Kerry Washington's fault, just a really cheesy script.