00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Charles-Émile Reynaud

476 Views | 5 Replies

Charles-Émile Reynaud 2014-08-15 02:14:20

In 1892 Reynaud changed the world. He rolled out his Théâtre Optique, which he had worked on for years. He demonstrated to the public what was effectively the world's first cartoon.

To think: Everything from Felix the Cat to some mouse character to Homer Simpson to even the things we see uploaded on Newgrounds began with this.

Response to Charles-Émile Reynaud 2014-08-15 03:14:41

Wasn't the first cartoon the one with the simple animated faces, or "Phantasmagorie"?

- Snow White was the first animated full-length feature, though.
- Toy Story was the first 3D animated full-length feature.
- Terry GIlliam's papercut animations which were used as interludes in Flying Circus were innovative.
- Yellow Submarine was innovative with the limited animation technique.
- The Iron Giant was a great animated film, but it failed in the box office.

Response to Charles-Émile Reynaud 2014-08-15 13:36:32

At 8/15/14 03:14 AM, NGPulp wrote: Wasn't the first cartoon the one with the simple animated faces, or "Phantasmagorie"?

- Snow White was the first animated full-length feature, though.
- Toy Story was the first 3D animated full-length feature.
- Terry GIlliam's papercut animations which were used as interludes in Flying Circus were innovative.
- Yellow Submarine was innovative with the limited animation technique.
- The Iron Giant was a great animated film, but it failed in the box office.

You bring up a few interesting points. The first animated film on reel was Phantasmagorie. Technically that is the first animated short. Reynaud's Théâtre Optique was really an advanced version of a zoetrope. Despite that, due to the fact that this (Pauvre Pierrot is the only surviving short, but there were 3 demonstrated in 1892) does have frame by frame animation and was projected I would count this. It came out 16 years before Phantasmagorie.

Terry Gilliam's papercut animations were inspired by a 1931 Polish stop animation known as The Devil's Ball.

Response to Charles-Émile Reynaud 2014-08-15 14:12:57

At 8/15/14 02:14 AM, vannila-guerilla wrote: In 1892 Reynaud changed the world. He rolled out his Théâtre Optique, which he had worked on for years. He demonstrated to the public what was effectively the world's first cartoon.

To think: Everything from Felix the Cat to some mouse character to Homer Simpson to even the things we see uploaded on Newgrounds began with this.

Really? The first cartoon came before the first real film camera? Neat, OP! I thought I knew my shit about film, but not really cartoons, I guess. This is a pretty nice thread! Actually interesting and relevant, while also standing out from the glut of shit. A pity more threads aren't like this.

Response to Charles-Émile Reynaud 2014-08-15 16:01:44

At 8/15/14 02:12 PM, WrightOnTarget wrote:

Really? The first cartoon came before the first real film camera? Neat, OP! I thought I knew my shit about film, but not really cartoons, I guess. This is a pretty nice thread! Actually interesting and relevant, while also standing out from the glut of shit. A pity more threads aren't like this.

To be fair, I could have added the version with sound. Like early films, the sound obviously wasn't recorded. It was played live for the audience, but this is how it would have went.

The reason this is in full color is because each frame was painted on glass, and the principle behind it works similarly to projectors, where the light shines through the translucent picture and onto a projector where it shows in whatever color on the glass.

Of the first three original cartoons Reynaud displayed, only Pauvre Pierre survives. Another short from 1895 also survives called Autour d une cabine also survives, but it's no where near as interesting (and much shorter.

The original 3 cartoons were shown in Paris originally, but were apparently seen by over 150,000 people by 1900. It even inspired Walt Disney who made a documentary on Reynaud. So when I say this guy was the foundation of animation and the reason we have what we have today, I meant it quite literally. Sometimes the unsung heroes did a lot more than we even realize.

Response to Charles-Émile Reynaud 2014-08-16 07:04:25

At 8/15/14 01:36 PM, vannila-guerilla wrote: Reynaud's Théâtre Optique was really an advanced version of a zoetrope. Despite that, due to the fact that this (Pauvre Pierrot is the only surviving short, but there were 3 demonstrated in 1892) does have frame by frame animation and was projected I would count this. It came out 16 years before Phantasmagorie.

Terry Gilliam's papercut animations were inspired by a 1931 Polish stop animation known as The Devil's Ball.

Thanks for the info, man.
That stuff's pretty interesting.

I'll go check out "The Devil's Ball", now-- seems like it's gonna be a swell short.