00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Allthingz2020 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Should I do this?

486 Views | 14 Replies

Should I do this? 2014-08-12 17:30:09

Ok, I am working on an pokemon animation that I hope to finish sometime this year. While I was working on it, I showed it to my close friends to get their opinion on it so far. They all like it and want to see it finished. However, my best friend suggested that I stop drawing the pokemon characters and create my own original characters and use the same type of story in a different format. Basically rework the story to fit original characters versus characters that belong to someone else.

In fact, this same best friend was the one who helped me see that I work better with my own characters rather than one's that came from someone else. A few characters I have were fan characters, but because of my best friend's input, I ended up making these characters original and with decent stories too. I think if he didn't say anything years ago in middle school, I'd still be a sonic artist. Heh.

Originally the pokemon animation I'm currently working was just a test to see explore my animating skills. But then I gave it a pretty big story without realizing it.

Now I'm thinking about just going ahead and turning it into an original story. I'm still going to finish the animation but beyond that I'm just going to make it into it's own story.

So now my question is, should I just go ahead and turn that pokemon story into an original story or use it as a fan based work?

I hoped I described my dilemma properly.

Response to Should I do this? 2014-08-12 17:37:15

If you're already pretty far into it, I would just finish it up and make it a Pokemon parody, but you should make your next project about your own characters and see what you can do with them. You should then see if you can make the storyline somewhat similar, but different enough, if you want, or you can make it completely different.

"Codswallop in my opinion." - Hagrid

"I trust no one but my ham sandwich." - SNAPCRACKLEANDPOP2

Never say no to Panda.

Response to Should I do this? 2014-08-12 17:43:47

Yoo.
In my opinion, keeping it as a Pokémon parody will get more attention since there are still tons of Pokémon fans around here.
So do that

BBS Signature

Response to Should I do this? 2014-08-12 17:58:00

It's better to do your own shit. People copy enough as it is.

BBS Signature

Response to Should I do this? 2014-08-12 18:06:05

A Pokemon animation can pass as "entertaining" with significantly less effort than original material. If you plan on actually working for a while on your movie (more than a couple of months) - use your original characters, otherwise go with Pokemon.

BBS Signature

Response to Should I do this? 2014-08-12 18:06:19

At 8/12/14 05:30 PM, TheGriffonGeneral wrote: Ok, I am working on an pokemon animation that I hope to finish sometime this year. While I was working on it, I showed it to my close friends to get their opinion on it so far. They all like it and want to see it finished. However, my best friend suggested that I stop drawing the pokemon characters and create my own original characters and use the same type of story in a different format. Basically rework the story to fit original characters versus characters that belong to someone else.

Making fan content is totally fine and good, people do it all the time and I would recommend keeping to your current plan to be able to complete it as originally intended. Once you have skill in making the animations you can always start making them with your own characters. But fan content is always nice to do if you have the desire to make them well.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Should I do this? 2014-08-12 18:06:43

No. More. Fucking. Parodies.

Stop right there. Make something original.

We already have too many shit-tier parodies completely lacking in originality.

5:24 PM - Hat-Fondler: adverb

5:24 PM - 平沢唯: jewishly

5:25 PM - Kupo: frothingly

BBS Signature

Response to Should I do this? 2014-08-12 18:21:29

At 8/12/14 05:37 PM, SNAPCRACKLEANDPOP2 wrote: If you're already pretty far into it, I would just finish it up and make it a Pokemon parody, but you should make your next project about your own characters and see what you can do with them. You should then see if you can make the storyline somewhat similar, but different enough, if you want, or you can make it completely different.

Yeah, I think I'm going to go ahead and just finish it up. To be honest, the type of story can remain the same but by removing all of the pokemon elements I'll have so much more freedom to work with. Actually, I think it will be for the best. While I do like the idea in itself, I can't really go to far with it if I use pokemon. So yeah, I can work with change pretty well.

After all, my username is based on a character from an original story I created and plan on animating in the near future. I think this may work out for the better.

Response to Should I do this? 2014-08-12 18:22:22

At 8/12/14 05:30 PM, TheGriffonGeneral wrote: if he didn't say anything years ago in middle school, I'd still be a sonic artist.

I'd trust this friend's judgment. He saved you from the Sonic Fandom.

Response to Should I do this? 2014-08-12 18:29:07

At 8/12/14 05:43 PM, klompors wrote: Yoo.
In my opinion, keeping it as a Pokémon parody will get more attention since there are still tons of Pokémon fans around here.
So do that

Alright, makes sense. I know pokemon fans will like it. I should post the wip in the animation forum to get some more feedback.

Response to Should I do this? 2014-08-12 18:37:12

At 8/12/14 05:58 PM, Magical-Zorse wrote: It's better to do your own shit. People copy enough as it is.

Indeed. But this is more of a test than anything. I couldn't possibly use this any further than to show my animation skills. I have dozens of original projects I want to work on. For this particular one, I merely had a huge inspiration to go through with it. In fact, I had another animation I worked on relating one of my original stories but it wasn't good artistically.

I'm using this animation to better improve on my art and animation skills so that when I go back, I'll be able to improve on what I started. This particular animation was really just going to be a one shot, but because I went so deep into the story, it could end up being a stand alone if I just drop everything pokemon in it. Which is, from the responses, a better choice.

Response to Should I do this? 2014-08-12 18:45:52

At 8/12/14 05:30 PM, TheGriffonGeneral wrote: Ok, I am working on an pokemon-

Nope.

Of all of the parodies you chose to do, you chose to parody something thats been parodied to death.

There are so many goddamned Pokemon parodies...jesus christ...

...Only go through with it if its going to be disposable practice for your animation skills. Treat it as such, and you're golden...step outside of your comfort zone, try new things, learn and grow as an artist and become skilled in your craft while nothing of consequence is lost since its just another dime-a-dozen Pokemon parody.

THEN do something original.

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to Should I do this? 2014-08-12 18:51:40

At the end of the day, though, you don't need our approval for your actions or your projects. You manage your time however you see fit. Even if it IS a pokemon parody, that'll be valuable practice and an experience for you. Just to have something completed, it feels great and it feels validating.

Do it if you want to do it. Don't do it if you don't want to do it. Its that simple.

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to Should I do this? 2014-08-12 19:01:17

At 8/12/14 06:45 PM, Phobotech wrote:
At 8/12/14 05:30 PM, TheGriffonGeneral wrote: Ok, I am working on an pokemon-
Nope.

Of all of the parodies you chose to do, you chose to parody something thats been parodied to death.

There are so many goddamned Pokemon parodies...jesus christ...

...Only go through with it if its going to be disposable practice for your animation skills. Treat it as such, and you're golden...step outside of your comfort zone, try new things, learn and grow as an artist and become skilled in your craft while nothing of consequence is lost since its just another dime-a-dozen Pokemon parody.

THEN do something original.

Wow, I didn't know it was that bad.

I might just start from scratch and discard the whole thing.

Yes, it was just a disposable practice for my animation skills. Trust me, I was only going to make this a one shot regardless if I had other ideas for it. I mainly came to newgrounds to hone my skills and seek feedback. I'd figure I could start by animating something that I'm very familiar with. I would have started with an original piece but I wanted some practice first before I dive into that.

Response to Should I do this? 2014-08-12 19:06:48

At 8/12/14 07:01 PM, TheGriffonGeneral wrote:
Wow, I didn't know it was that bad.

I might just start from scratch and discard the whole thing.

You just gotta do it, dude. My initial reaction was just from the exasperation from having seen A LOT of Pokemon parodies on NG...if it ain't Pikachu, its Mario, and sometimes its both. Being a creative, I know what it feels like to be discouraged and dammit, I don't wanna be that guy.

When I was getting started, Metal Gear Awesome was all the rage, and people were chipping in with a fuckload of Awesome video game parodies. I needed to hone my animation skills too, like you are now, and I was on the fence, over-analyzing shit, self doubting, and users encouraged me to just go for it, and I did. I don't regret that...even though I'll never do another "Awesome style parody" again, just like you might not do another Pokemon parody again, the experience is there. You saw something through to the end...and thats more than a lot of people can say.

Like ripping off a bandaid, just do it man.

BBS Signature