New Topic Respond to this Topic
AnalogByNature
AnalogByNature
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-22 23:47:04 Reply

Oh shit. 15 minutes to go, and here we are, still making this song.
Major oh noes inbound.
Maybe...
If we don't make it, it's been a blast so far! Good luck to everyone! :)

Free albums every month! Use our stuff in your stuff! Contact us if you need music, voice over, or artwork for your submissions! Our Profile and here's Our Song Library

TaintedLogic
TaintedLogic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-22 23:53:15 Reply

At 8/22/14 11:47 PM, AnalogByNature wrote: Oh shit. 15 minutes to go, and here we are, still making this song.
Major oh noes inbound.
Maybe...
If we don't make it, it's been a blast so far! Good luck to everyone! :)

Tell you what, guys: I'll give you right up until I post the lists of submissions with links to submit your track. That'll be around 12:30 a.m. That goes for everyone, btw...

"Knowledge is freedom; guilt is knowledge; freedom is guilt." --- "I hate logic; it must die." --- Formerly "TheDoor6"

BBS Signature
SilverPoyozo
SilverPoyozo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-22 23:58:23 Reply

Here ya go...

• NGAUC Submission
    NGAUC Submission by SilverPoyozo

My submission to the 2014 NGAUC knock-out phase 1

Score
    0 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Cinematic
    Popularity

AnalogByNature
AnalogByNature
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-23 00:59:42 Reply

DeLorean brought us here.
Had to stop into this really shitty western town first. sorry guys.
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/585685?updated=1

Free albums every month! Use our stuff in your stuff! Contact us if you need music, voice over, or artwork for your submissions! Our Profile and here's Our Song Library

AnalogByNature
AnalogByNature
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-23 01:01:35 Reply

At 8/23/14 12:59 AM, AnalogByNature wrote: DeLorean brought us here.
Had to stop into this really shitty western town first. sorry guys.
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/585685?updated=1

I didn't post it all cool looking. :(
Well, that's our entry anyway. 90's shit :)

TaintedLogic
TaintedLogic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-23 01:05:44 Reply

@AnalogByNature Yes, you ALMOST did "run outta time." :P

Alright, here we go! The Knock-out Round Submission Phase of the NGAUC 2014 is now officially closed. Any pieces submitted after this point will not be considered part of the competition. Unfortunately, that means that @MoonlitRaven, @Aliaspharow, and @WingoWinston have been disqualified from the competition. :'( Sorry, guys.

Below is a list of the remaining competitors and their groups, with links to their submissions for this round. PLEASE CHECK THIS LIST TO MAKE SURE I DIDN'T SCREW UP THE LINKS! The results will be out on Monday the 25th.

UNDERDOGS GROUP

Adieuwinter
Bardash
Blacklawn
Clerik
Jernemies
Lasse
Possibly
Sovarozum
Stapless
Sundans
Voltus

PROFESSIONAL AMATEURS GROUP

8-bitheroes
Birdinator99
Djabbic
DjSkyFall
JoshuaHughes
LunacyEcho
Mophead367
Rainheart666787
Waidmann

ALL-STARS GROUP

AnalogByNature
Bassfiddlejones
DivoFST
KatMaestro
Larrynachos
Lich
MetalRenard
SilverPoyozo

Interestingly enough, no one was disqualified and/or privately dropped out from the Underdogs Group, whereas slightly more did in the Prof. Amateurs, and the most did in the All-Stars! That means that the Underdogs Group is the most competitive at this point, as 3 participants from each group will still advance to the next round.

Anyway, without further ado, judges may commence judging! >:D

"Knowledge is freedom; guilt is knowledge; freedom is guilt." --- "I hate logic; it must die." --- Formerly "TheDoor6"

BBS Signature
johnfn
johnfn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-23 02:13:45 Reply

Commence judging lasers.

[6,11,4,10,2,10,-68,5,15,-68,16,4 ,1,-68,-2,1,15,16,-67].map(function(v){ return String.fromCharCode(v + 100) }).join(""); // updated for web 2.0!

BBS Signature
Possibly
Possibly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-23 08:49:05 Reply

Interestingly enough, no one was disqualified and/or privately dropped out from the Underdogs Group, whereas slightly more did in the Prof. Amateurs, and the most did in the All-Stars! That means that the Underdogs Group is the most competitive at this point, as 3 participants from each group will still advance to the next round.

That is interesting - were some people disqualified? How come? Naming no names.

Anyway - however it turns out, thanks to Door6 for organising this - it's a nice idea.

I've also 'fanned' all the people who got through to this submission stage - so you all have one new fan anyway.

Earlier in the thread (or it may have been a diffeent thread actually), someone mentioned about how expensive vst etc can give people an advantage - how about a competition where you can only use free vst? For a level playing field. Not because I rail at the injustice of people using whatever they want, but just for the fun, and you'd end up with lots of chiptunes, which can only be a good thing.

larrynachos
larrynachos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-23 08:54:43 Reply

Yay, thanks to @Possibly I have 100 fans!

I'm kinda glad that there are less people in the all-stars group. Make's the odds of me getting past this stage a bit better.

Good luck everyone!

J̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶m̶a̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶o̶o̶m̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶i̶n̶e̶v̶i̶t̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶N̶G̶A̶U̶C̶ ̶s̶i̶g̶n̶a̶t̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶<̶3̶

BBS Signature
Possibly
Possibly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-23 08:56:10 Reply

At 8/23/14 08:54 AM, larrynachos wrote: Yay, thanks to @Possibly I have 100 fans!

I'm kinda glad that there are less people in the all-stars group. Make's the odds of me getting past this stage a bit better.

Good luck everyone!

I did notice that, congrats and well deserved.

Lich
Lich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-23 09:06:20 Reply

At 8/23/14 08:49 AM, Possibly wrote: Earlier in the thread (or it may have been a diffeent thread actually), someone mentioned about how expensive vst etc can give people an advantage - how about a competition where you can only use free vst? For a level playing field. Not because I rail at the injustice of people using whatever they want, but just for the fun, and you'd end up with lots of chiptunes, which can only be a good thing.

I can already forsee everyone exclusively using Synth1, Sampletank FREE, Tyrell Nexus 6 and Orchestral Strings One along with a load of freebie soundfonts.

| Music | News | Favorites | - Audio Destruction, Evolving One Track At A Time!

BBS Signature
larrynachos
larrynachos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-23 09:10:02 Reply

At 8/23/14 08:49 AM, Possibly wrote: Earlier in the thread (or it may have been a diffeent thread actually), someone mentioned about how expensive vst etc can give people an advantage - how about a competition where you can only use free vst?

The quality of the samples shouldn't be what carries a song. The melodies are what should be judged. It's a cool idea, though.

J̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶m̶a̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶o̶o̶m̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶i̶n̶e̶v̶i̶t̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶N̶G̶A̶U̶C̶ ̶s̶i̶g̶n̶a̶t̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶<̶3̶

BBS Signature
Voltus
Voltus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-23 10:14:08 Reply

At 8/23/14 09:10 AM, larrynachos wrote:
At 8/23/14 08:49 AM, Possibly wrote: Earlier in the thread (or it may have been a diffeent thread actually), someone mentioned about how expensive vst etc can give people an advantage - how about a competition where you can only use free vst?
The quality of the samples shouldn't be what carries a song. The melodies are what should be judged. It's a cool idea, though.

you can make the shittiest samples sound good. you just need to know in what form they are shitty and compose/mix/whatever around that. It's challanging but it's possible. ^^

Voltus' Soundcloud Newest Track: You Know Nothing If you want me to Review one of your pieces, just send me a PM ;)

Possibly
Possibly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-23 12:04:30 Reply

you can make the shittiest samples sound good. you just need to know in what form they are shitty and compose/mix/whatever around that. It's challanging but it's possible. ^^

I agree. I'm not arguing that people can't or shouldn't use whatever they please generally or that money can buy talent. But, if you place a limitation on what people can use in a one off situation, it could encourages creativity in a new way for that person, the competition has some kind of format, and...FUN!

It's just an idea, but it might be something (like the NGAUC) that would help promote an inclusive and welcoming atmosphere. I see many people's first interaction on the forum being a response to their initial post that basically boils down to 'you're doing it wrong', fair enough if the rules are not to advertise etc, but it must feel a bit of a frosty welcome nonetheless.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-23 12:39:05 Reply

I'm beginning my judging for the Underdogs tonight.

Also, those of you recommending a competition where you can only use freebies: I am ALL for that. I do the same myself, but:

There has to be a high degree of accountability and more proof than just a list, stating what VSTs everyone uses. A screenshot, perhaps. Those who are judging will have to watch like a hawk for any paid VST that crops up.........

Hardcore participants may take it one step further and only use DAW defaults, if they so wish.

AMDG ✝ NGADM Round 2 Entry: A Night in the Attic

BBS Signature
Sundans
Sundans
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-23 12:40:35 Reply

At 8/23/14 08:49 AM, Possibly wrote:
That is interesting - were some people disqualified? How come? Naming no names.

Anyway - however it turns out, thanks to Door6 for organising this - it's a nice idea.

I've also 'fanned' all the people who got through to this submission stage - so you all have one new fan anyway.

Earlier in the thread (or it may have been a diffeent thread actually), someone mentioned about how expensive vst etc can give people an advantage - how about a competition where you can only use free vst? For a level playing field. Not because I rail at the injustice of people using whatever they want, but just for the fun, and you'd end up with lots of chiptunes, which can only be a good thing.

Then you could make the argument that some DAWs have native VSTs that have numerous capabilities that others do not. For example, Ableton's Sampler is far better than FL Studio's Direct Wave. DAWs all have their own advantages and disadvantages -- but it all comes down to how experienced the user is in tandem with how comfortable they are with the tools provided to them.

[✖] Play a live show. | [✖] Sell music. [✔] Sound design for games. | [✔] Produce an OST for film. | [✔] Get creepy fans. | [✔] Get awesome fans. Moving up the ladder.

Sovarozum
Sovarozum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-23 13:20:35 Reply

There's a challenge like this on KVR Audio, called the 'One Synth Challenge'it'd be cool to see something like that start up here :D

At 8/23/14 12:39 PM, Troisnyx wrote: I'm beginning my judging for the Underdogs tonight.

Also, those of you recommending a competition where you can only use freebies: I am ALL for that. I do the same myself, but:

There has to be a high degree of accountability and more proof than just a list, stating what VSTs everyone uses. A screenshot, perhaps. Those who are judging will have to watch like a hawk for any paid VST that crops up.........

Hardcore participants may take it one step further and only use DAW defaults, if they so wish.

Music Composer & Sound Designer Website | BandCamp SoundCloud | YouTube

Possibly
Possibly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-23 13:25:08 Reply

At 8/23/14 12:39 PM, Troisnyx wrote: I'm beginning my judging for the Underdogs tonight.

You could do that - there's something to be said for having absolute rules that everyone can stick to, and it does seem like the majority do prefer a lot of clarification/clarity when it comes to these things.

In ideal world though, I do like the idea of a competition where people get into the spirit of it. It might be self-policing to a point I suppose, as people listen to other people's tracks and might spot something that should not be there. I would like to think that most people would stick to a vague guideline of 'free vst' or 'DAW only' or similar though.

The worst that could happen is that someone 'cheats' and does well/wins - and to be honest, that wouldn't bother me that much as it would be fairly lame behaviour, but wouldn't necessarily detract from the fun of making your own thing for the competition.

Presumably the person who had snuck in their Omnisphere synth or whatever would be found out at some point, and then everyone would point at them.

Possibly
Possibly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-23 13:33:00 Reply

Then you could make the argument that some DAWs have native VSTs that have numerous capabilities that others do not. For example, Ableton's Sampler is far better than FL Studio's Direct Wave. DAWs all have their own advantages and disadvantages -- but it all comes down to how experienced the user is in tandem with how comfortable they are with the tools provided to them.

True - or if it became an issue that concerned people, you could split into various groups like in this competition, and have your FL vs other FL users and likewise Ableton vs Ableton users and so on.

I personally wouldn't be too bothered about somebody having something in their DAW that's better than my version or vice versa. As you say, experience of the tools counts for a great deal. Not saying I'm fantastic by any means. I can make great tools sound shitty along with the best of them, and shitty things sound...well, not quite so shitty on a good day.

8-bitheroes
8-bitheroes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-23 17:43:59 Reply

Good luck to all!

AnalogByNature
AnalogByNature
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-23 21:19:37 Reply

We've taken the liberty of liking/hearting everyone participating within the NGAUC this year, as have a few of the other participants.
We are all best internet brother friends now, guys.
Tattoos soon....

Sundans
Sundans
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-24 00:35:52 Reply

At 8/23/14 01:33 PM, Possibly wrote:
True - or if it became an issue that concerned people, you could split into various groups like in this competition, and have your FL vs other FL users and likewise Ableton vs Ableton users and so on.

I personally wouldn't be too bothered about somebody having something in their DAW that's better than my version or vice versa. As you say, experience of the tools counts for a great deal. Not saying I'm fantastic by any means. I can make great tools sound shitty along with the best of them, and shitty things sound...well, not quite so shitty on a good day.

I wouldn't be bother either. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be bothered if someone used East West Symphonic orchestra against my meager Kontakt 5 library. I just find the idea of feeling upset because somebody has a "better" VST a bit silly. Take for example a fairly popular uprising trio, Audeka. Their primary synths? 3xOsc, a minimalist synth, and Harmor, a resampler. Or how about the quest so many people go on to get Sylenth1 or FM8 when, if they took the time to learn synthesis, could easily create the sounds they wanted in stock synths like Sytrus, Harmor, GMS, and Poizone.

In other words -- I get what you are saying and it might seem fair to you. To me, however, I don't think it is necessary. I do, however, wish you luck in the competition here. As a matter of fact, I wish all of you guys luck. A lot of these tracks are simply amazing!

[✖] Play a live show. | [✖] Sell music. [✔] Sound design for games. | [✔] Produce an OST for film. | [✔] Get creepy fans. | [✔] Get awesome fans. Moving up the ladder.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-24 02:07:46 Reply

At 8/23/14 12:40 PM, Sundans wrote: Then you could make the argument that some DAWs have native VSTs that have numerous capabilities that others do not. For example, Ableton's Sampler is far better than FL Studio's Direct Wave. DAWs all have their own advantages and disadvantages -- but it all comes down to how experienced the user is in tandem with how comfortable they are with the tools provided to them.

Perhaps it may be, but for testing purposes, I made one song almost completely with FL defaults. (Transformation, and it's under my 2013 works.) Now granted, I'd have to take off the Soundfont Player for future pieces. Still: DirectWave may not be the best, but twiddling around with it will give you its uses. Any seasoned musician would think that request to separate users by DAW is unnecessary. And for us FL users, it's a much appreciated challenge!

AMDG ✝ NGADM Round 2 Entry: A Night in the Attic

BBS Signature
Sundans
Sundans
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-24 02:16:06 Reply

At 8/24/14 02:07 AM, Troisnyx wrote: Perhaps it may be, but for testing purposes, I made one song almost completely with FL defaults. (Transformation, and it's under my 2013 works.) Now granted, I'd have to take off the Soundfont Player for future pieces. Still: DirectWave may not be the best, but twiddling around with it will give you its uses. Any seasoned musician would think that request to separate users by DAW is unnecessary. And for us FL users, it's a much appreciated challenge!

You are right -- Direct Wave is a pretty nice VST for acoustic resampling. It's got limited harmonic capabilities too, which few resamplers have. On the other hand, in terms of bass resampling -- which is what I've used it for a few times -- I have to say that the Ableton Sampler is, overall, much better in terms of audio manipulation capabilities. It has a few more harmonic options, more pitch and effect options and is, over all, much more integrated with Ableton's systems.

But, as I've said in my previous posts, it all comes down to the knowledge and willingness the user possesses -- and I certainly recommend experimenting with Direct Wave, and any other synthesizer to get the sounds you want.

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-24 06:55:14 Reply

I do NOT like the idea of this "all use the same sounds" challenge. For one you're forgetting many of use do acoustic recordings (vocals etc) and even metal (like me) and that wouldn't work for us at all.
Second I came FROM the realm of having nothing, worked my arse off for years to get out of it, hell it's how I learnt to squeeze every last bit of juice out of every crappy plugin I could back in the day. Now I have good stuff though and I know that challenging myself in the past has made me better but I don't want to go back to having limits on my creativity when now, I have hardly any beyond my own ability to imagine.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
Voltus
Voltus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-24 08:40:12 Reply

At 8/24/14 06:55 AM, MetalRenard wrote: I do NOT like the idea of this "all use the same sounds" challenge. For one you're forgetting many of use do acoustic recordings (vocals etc) and even metal (like me) and that wouldn't work for us at all.
Second I came FROM the realm of having nothing, worked my arse off for years to get out of it, hell it's how I learnt to squeeze every last bit of juice out of every crappy plugin I could back in the day. Now I have good stuff though and I know that challenging myself in the past has made me better but I don't want to go back to having limits on my creativity when now, I have hardly any beyond my own ability to imagine.

Then such a contest might just not be something for you specifically, I really get your point but on here are a lot of people who (correct me if i'm wrong) make their music exclusively electronically. If we could arrange a small one round competition where you're only allowed to use one or two synths it might be really cool even just for a one off or something. I mean you could then again do a competition where you're just allowed to record stuff that you have in your room (not your instruments or when you use them dont use them in the way they are intended to e.g. use your guitar corupus as a drum or something). We would just need to be creative people :D

Voltus' Soundcloud Newest Track: You Know Nothing If you want me to Review one of your pieces, just send me a PM ;)

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-24 08:42:06 Reply

At 8/24/14 08:40 AM, Voltus wrote: Then such a contest might just not be something for you specifically, I really get your point but on here are a lot of people who (correct me if i'm wrong) make their music exclusively electronically. If we could arrange a small one round competition where you're only allowed to use one or two synths it might be really cool even just for a one off or something. I mean you could then again do a competition where you're just allowed to record stuff that you have in your room (not your instruments or when you use them dont use them in the way they are intended to e.g. use your guitar corupus as a drum or something). We would just need to be creative people :D

Yeah sure, do that, but not in this competition where the idea is to include everyone. That's my point, not that I hate the idea in of itself, just don't try it out now. Wrong place and time.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
Voltus
Voltus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-24 08:43:55 Reply

At 8/24/14 08:42 AM, MetalRenard wrote:

Yeah sure, do that, but not in this competition where the idea is to include everyone. That's my point, not that I hate the idea in of itself, just don't try it out now. Wrong place and time.

oh yeah definitely here this would be awful :D I was talking about making a new competition for that kind of stuff.

bassfiddlejones
bassfiddlejones
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-24 09:45:24 Reply

Looking forward to some judgement lasers @johnfn

TaintedLogic
TaintedLogic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-24 10:25:30 Reply

At 8/24/14 09:45 AM, bassfiddlejones wrote: Looking forward to some judgement lasers @johnfn

Wait...Johnfn told you we had judgment lasers? >_< Dammit, now the Russians are going to find out, too!

BBS Signature